Start by marking “Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore” as Want to Read:

A Simon & Schuster eBook. Simon & Schuster has a great book for every reader.
Published June 28th 2007 by Adams Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Witch's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch's Halloween

Elizabeth
Sep 17, 2014 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I had bought this awhile ago and finally got around to reading it, and I wanted to read it before Halloween this year and I'm so glad I did! This is a fascinating read, even if you aren't Pagan or Wiccan. Gerina Dunwich does a wonderful job keeping the reader engaged while sharing where many of the symbols, traditions, and beliefs that are now associated with Halloween came from. I also enjoyed that she included so many additional things like recipes and rituals that ...more
Kimi
Aug 31, 2015 Kimi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, nonfiction, witchy
I don't know what I expected this to be. Probably more history and explanation with credible resources. This just ended up reinforcing the fact that I fucking hate Wiccans and Wicca. LOLZ U GUISE WE'RE TOTES DESCENDED FROM A SECRET GROUP OF DRUIDS THAT SURVIVED 5EVER IN SECRET AND THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE ONLY WAY TO DO THINGS LOLZ WE'RE SO GREAT BLESSED BE WITCHES INVENTED KARMA.

Basically, this book hit every single thing on my "Why Wicca Annoys the Crap out of Me" list. The author kept talking abo
Mary Anne
I picked up this book because one of my GR friends added it, and it sounded interesting. I also wanted to read a Halloween-themed book for a book group challenge, and I was able to fairly quickly get this from my library system.

Overall my expectations weren't high, and I didn't leave unsatisfied. I liked the book itself; the print was in orange or orange-red, which was fun. Some of the arguments about the book talk about the lack of research and elaboration, but whatever, I think the description
Spuddie
Sep 01, 2009 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of stories, folklore, history tidbits, recipes and rituals associated with Halloween, or Samhain as Wiccans and some Pagans know it by. I started this book in September, hoping for once to finish a book about a particular Sabbat in a timely manner so as to glean some information to use for my own celebration--this time I actually did it!

Unfortunately the information in this book is pretty basic and there was very little I hadn't heard or read before so I didn't really get much I cou
Claire Beresford
Aug 09, 2011 Claire Beresford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pagan-texts
A great read, dives deep into the myths are lore of Halloween/ samhain. very interesting to read about the past events and lore surrounding Halloween which all helped shape the holiday we celebrate today. Ends with some great recipes to try out for this magical time of year. Do not expect a book of ritual and pagan rituals, its more of an encyclopaedia about Halloween.
Stephanie Krause
Was ok. Wanted to like it more than I did. Was a BROAD overview of all traditions, Christian, Pagan and otherwise, so it was interesting, but not what I thought the book was really going to be. I gathered a few fun Halloween spells, recipes, and poems/invocations from this book... but, as a Halloween-birthday, and an informed pagan, I was unimpressed by its lack of insight.
Persephone
Nov 04, 2010 Persephone rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Not very well thought out. It was vague and most subjects were covered in the basest of generality.
Lizy
Jul 24, 2016 Lizy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the first book I've read on witchcraft that actually made sense to me. Usually, I start a new book on lore or paganism or what have you, and I don't know what's going on to start with, and I flip through page after page and I'm still lost. I get this feeling that so many books on the Occult try as hard as possible to be mysterious and spooky and wise, and have this attitude like 'I'm a witch look how cool I am I'm purposely going to be so witchy that you're just left in the dust ...more
Annie Trinsey- christie
One of the BEST written books on the subject that I have read in a very long time. I also use it as a reference book each year to help educate those who have questions or have been poluted by Holywood's green evil witches. Gerina has done her homework and given a lighter version of the hallow-day. Her diverse background adds gravity to the information. I thououghly enjoyed it enough to secure a copy of her next work as well.
I have read Buckland's works, as well as other writers on the subject,
Carrie
Oct 19, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, read-2012
I picked this book up because I was looking for a fun book with a bit of Halloween history in it. Trying to get into the spirit of the season and all.

I really liked this book. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in the symbols and meaning of items connected to Halloween. It also had a nice section that talked about what various cultures used to do to celebrate the holiday. It was pretty informative.
Megan
May 14, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will read anything that involves Halloween, and I ADORED this book. Coming from a family of staunch LDS practitioners, I was pleased to discover Halloween is not actually a 'devil's holiday' (okay, so I already knew that, but still.) I loved the background it gave and various information relating to spells and recipes were all very informative.
Tabitha Chamberlain
the book is a good cross reference to the start of halloween and cultural ideas, mostly Scotland/Ireland/Great Britain area. there is some repetitiveness to the book, but if you want to know the ins and outs of Halloween this is a good place to start. there are a few spells that you can actually do in present day, but most of the book is history and historical spells.
A
Jul 17, 2014 A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No matter what your spiritual beliefs are, this book is so interesting. I enjoyed learning the history of Halloween and some of the old traditions and where they came from. I leave this book out on the coffee table every Halloween and thumb through it whenever I can.
Katherine
Jun 19, 2012 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-age-pagan
I really enjoy this little book! The best part: it focuses mainly on Samhain/Halloween. There are great recipes, spells, lore, and celebration ideas found. I recommend this book to any witch's library.
Jess
pretty good book, the only part i didn't like as much as other halloween books was the chapter on incantations, which was way too drawn out and too long..especialy the parts on love spells..besides that good informative book on halloween~
Alicia
Sep 23, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read! Getting into the Halloween spirit, this book really opened my eyes to a whole new side of it. It was interesting to read how different countries and cultures celebrate the holiday, and all the superstitions behind it.
Oct 21, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of lore, spells, recipes, rituals, and all sorts of fun Halloween goodness. While I normally find Gerina Dunwich a little...frustrating at times, this book DID serve it's main goal which was to get me into the spirit of the season and inspire me. :D
Caitlin H
Jan 25, 2016 Caitlin H rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: woo-woo
I had this book years ago and tried to read it, but it's so full of misinformation (the Burning Times? Wicca an ancient religion? really???????) that I got rid of it.
Anca Maria
Jul 12, 2013 Anca Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the book.
Kristen
Sep 19, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gives a lot of history behind the pagan roots of Halloween.
Alayna
Dec 17, 2015 Alayna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was both interesting and informational, I would recommend reading it if you already have a high interest in Halloween.
Ian
Jan 04, 2013 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witchcraft
This was an ok book for its size.
Heather turner
Jan 05, 2012 Heather turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really liked this book it is kinda vague in some places but it is a good place to start for people who have never practiced the craft
Alison Smith
Feb 17, 2016 Alison Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read it for a a class project in my RELG class
Angela
Jul 09, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting blend of history, workbook and cookbook that gets you in the season!
Sharee R
Sharee R rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Yazmine
Yazmine rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2014
Bea
Bea rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home
  • The Winter Solstice: The Sacred Traditions of Christmas
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
Gerina Dunwich is a professional astrologer, occult historian, and New Age author, best known for her books on Wicca and various occult subjects. She is also involved in paranormal research and is the founder of the Paranormal Animal Research Group, which investigates cases of alleged hauntings by animal spirits.

More about Gerina Dunwich...

“No one religion is right for everyone, and no religion—whether it be Wicca, Buddhism, Judaism, Catholicism—is more valid than any other. Religious diversity is something that needs not only to be tolerated, but also celebrated. The good that religion was designed to teach and maintain inevitably turns to harm when one religious group claims superiority over another or tries to deny others of their constitutional right to believe in and worship the god or goddess of their choice.” 1 likes