Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  16 reviews
You may think that Halloween is only about ghosts, ghouls, and goblins. However, there is much more behind this spooky holiday. For Pagans the world over, Halloween is a time of magick and divination-a night for honoring ancestors, celebrating the harvest, and ringing in the New Year. In A Witch's Halloween, bestselling author Gerina Dunwich dispels the myths of this holie...more
Published June 28th 2007 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Witch's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch's Halloween

Claire Beresford
A great read, dives deep into the myths are lore of Halloween/ samhain. very interesting to read about the past events and lore surrounding Halloween which all helped shape the holiday we celebrate today. Ends with some great recipes to try out for this magical time of year. Do not expect a book of ritual and pagan rituals, its more of an encyclopaedia about Halloween.
Spuddie
A collection of stories, folklore, history tidbits, recipes and rituals associated with Halloween, or Samhain as Wiccans and some Pagans know it by. I started this book in September, hoping for once to finish a book about a particular Sabbat in a timely manner so as to glean some information to use for my own celebration--this time I actually did it!

Unfortunately the information in this book is pretty basic and there was very little I hadn't heard or read before so I didn't really get much I cou...more
Care
I picked this book up because I was looking for a fun book with a bit of Halloween history in it. Trying to get into the spirit of the season and all.

I really liked this book. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in the symbols and meaning of items connected to Halloween. It also had a nice section that talked about what various cultures used to do to celebrate the holiday. It was pretty informative.
Brenna
Somewhat interesting little book. Not extremely well researched.
Stephanie Krause
Was ok. Wanted to like it more than I did. Was a BROAD overview of all traditions, Christian, Pagan and otherwise, so it was interesting, but not what I thought the book was really going to be. I gathered a few fun Halloween spells, recipes, and poems/invocations from this book... but, as a Halloween-birthday, and an informed pagan, I was unimpressed by its lack of insight.
Megan
I will read anything that involves Halloween, and I ADORED this book. Coming from a family of staunch LDS practitioners, I was pleased to discover Halloween is not actually a 'devil's holiday' (okay, so I already knew that, but still.) I loved the background it gave and various information relating to spells and recipes were all very informative.
This book is full of lore, spells, recipes, rituals, and all sorts of fun Halloween goodness. While I normally find Gerina Dunwich a little...frustrating at times, this book DID serve it's main goal which was to get me into the spirit of the season and inspire me. :D
Jess
pretty good book, the only part i didn't like as much as other halloween books was the chapter on incantations, which was way too drawn out and too long..especialy the parts on love spells..besides that good informative book on halloween~
Alicia
Interesting read! Getting into the Halloween spirit, this book really opened my eyes to a whole new side of it. It was interesting to read how different countries and cultures celebrate the holiday, and all the superstitions behind it.
Katherine
I really enjoy this little book! The best part: it focuses mainly on Samhain/Halloween. There are great recipes, spells, lore, and celebration ideas found. I recommend this book to any witch's library.
Heather turner
i really liked this book it is kinda vague in some places but it is a good place to start for people who have never practiced the craft
Persephone
Not very well thought out. It was vague and most subjects were covered in the basest of generality.
Kristen
Gives a lot of history behind the pagan roots of Halloween.
Ian
This was an ok book for its size.
Moon Black
Moon Black marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Tiny Oak
Tiny Oak marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Græme Brown
Græme Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Candy Wyman
Candy Wyman marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Firerose
Firerose marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Brittney Davies
Brittney Davies is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
  • Wicca: The Complete Craft
  • Cunningham's Book of Shadows: The Path of An American Traditionalist
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft
Gerina Dunwich is a professional astrologer, occult historian, and New Age author, best known for her books on Wicca and various occult subjects. She is also involved in paranormal research and is the founder of the Paranormal Animal Research Group, which investigates cases of alleged hauntings by animal spirits.

More about Gerina Dunwich...
The Wicca Spellbook: A Witch's Collection of Wiccan Spells, Potions, and Recipes The Pagan Book of Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore Wicca Craft: The Modern Witches Book of Herbs, Magick and Dreams The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch's Book of Magickal and Enchanted Herbs and Plants Wicca Candle Magick