Start by marking “Witch's Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore” as Want to Read:

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  18 reviews
You may think that Halloween is only about ghosts, ghouls, and goblins. However, there is much more behind this spooky holiday. For Pagans the world over, Halloween is a time of magick and divination-a night for honoring ancestors, celebrating the harvest, and ringing in the New Year. In A Witch's Halloween, bestselling author Gerina Dunwich dispels the myths of this holie ...more
Published June 28th 2007 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Witch's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch's Halloween

Elizabeth
I really enjoyed this book. I had bought this awhile ago and finally got around to reading it, and I wanted to read it before Halloween this year and I'm so glad I did! This is a fascinating read, even if you aren't Pagan or Wiccan. Gerina Dunwich does a wonderful job keeping the reader engaged while sharing where many of the symbols, traditions, and beliefs that are now associated with Halloween came from. I also enjoyed that she included so many additional things like recipes and rituals that ...more
Claire Beresford
A great read, dives deep into the myths are lore of Halloween/ samhain. very interesting to read about the past events and lore surrounding Halloween which all helped shape the holiday we celebrate today. Ends with some great recipes to try out for this magical time of year. Do not expect a book of ritual and pagan rituals, its more of an encyclopaedia about Halloween.
Spuddie
A collection of stories, folklore, history tidbits, recipes and rituals associated with Halloween, or Samhain as Wiccans and some Pagans know it by. I started this book in September, hoping for once to finish a book about a particular Sabbat in a timely manner so as to glean some information to use for my own celebration--this time I actually did it!

Unfortunately the information in this book is pretty basic and there was very little I hadn't heard or read before so I didn't really get much I cou
Care
I picked this book up because I was looking for a fun book with a bit of Halloween history in it. Trying to get into the spirit of the season and all.

I really liked this book. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in the symbols and meaning of items connected to Halloween. It also had a nice section that talked about what various cultures used to do to celebrate the holiday. It was pretty informative.
Brenna
Somewhat interesting little book. Not extremely well researched.
Stephanie Krause
Was ok. Wanted to like it more than I did. Was a BROAD overview of all traditions, Christian, Pagan and otherwise, so it was interesting, but not what I thought the book was really going to be. I gathered a few fun Halloween spells, recipes, and poems/invocations from this book... but, as a Halloween-birthday, and an informed pagan, I was unimpressed by its lack of insight.
Megan
I will read anything that involves Halloween, and I ADORED this book. Coming from a family of staunch LDS practitioners, I was pleased to discover Halloween is not actually a 'devil's holiday' (okay, so I already knew that, but still.) I loved the background it gave and various information relating to spells and recipes were all very informative.
This book is full of lore, spells, recipes, rituals, and all sorts of fun Halloween goodness. While I normally find Gerina Dunwich a little...frustrating at times, this book DID serve it's main goal which was to get me into the spirit of the season and inspire me. :D
Jess
pretty good book, the only part i didn't like as much as other halloween books was the chapter on incantations, which was way too drawn out and too long..especialy the parts on love spells..besides that good informative book on halloween~
Alicia
Interesting read! Getting into the Halloween spirit, this book really opened my eyes to a whole new side of it. It was interesting to read how different countries and cultures celebrate the holiday, and all the superstitions behind it.
Katherine
I really enjoy this little book! The best part: it focuses mainly on Samhain/Halloween. There are great recipes, spells, lore, and celebration ideas found. I recommend this book to any witch's library.
Heather turner
i really liked this book it is kinda vague in some places but it is a good place to start for people who have never practiced the craft
Persephone
Not very well thought out. It was vague and most subjects were covered in the basest of generality.
Kristen
Gives a lot of history behind the pagan roots of Halloween.
Shyla
Very thorough!
Ian
This was an ok book for its size.
Gisselle
Gisselle marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Laura Stuart
Laura Stuart marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Sharron Gravely
Sharron Gravely marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Amanda West
Amanda West marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
J. A. Wooton
J. A. Wooton marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Angela
Angela is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2015
  • The Magical Household: Spells & Rituals for the Home
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Witchcraft
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
Gerina Dunwich is a professional astrologer, occult historian, and New Age author, best known for her books on Wicca and various occult subjects. She is also involved in paranormal research and is the founder of the Paranormal Animal Research Group, which investigates cases of alleged hauntings by animal spirits.

More about Gerina Dunwich...
The Wicca Spellbook: A Witch's Collection of Wiccan Spells, Potions, and Recipes The Pagan Book of Halloween: A Complete Guide to the Magick, Incantations, Recipes, Spells, and Lore Wicca Craft: The Modern Witches Book of Herbs, Magick and Dreams The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch's Book of Magickal and Enchanted Herbs and Plants Wicca Candle Magick