Zen and the Art of Housekeeping: The Path to Finding Meaning in Your Cleaning

Zen and the Art of Housekeeping: The Path to Finding Meaning in Your Cleaning

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Wash the dishes, do the laundry, mop the floors, scrub the toilets, make the beds, vacuum the rugs . . . the list goes on and on, with little time to stop, breathe, and take in your beautiful surroundings. Now you can. Learn to be at peace and attain enlightenment while doing all the "little" things around the house. Your floors and counters will shine as you become one wi...more
Published February 1st 2008 by Adams Media Corporation (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Zen and the Art of Housekeeping, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zen and the Art of Housekeeping

Elizabeth
After having lived in apartment after apartment, I always thought I'd move into a house and enjoy "playing house." But really, it annoys the crap out of me. I thought maybe Zen and the Art of Housekeeping might help, and surprisingly, it does, a little. There are, however, a couple of things that bug me about it.

First, the audience chosen by the author is mothers, and it makes me wonder where the men, DINKs, and single women fit into the picture. It really irritates me.

Second, I'd prefer it if t...more
Starr
I think there are some really good intentions in this book. However, I had a hard time reconciling the message of purity and "Green" with the suggestion to use disposable toilet brushes and the family of Swiffer products. Also, I can't imagine that using Lysol is a green or zen practice! Perhaps the author should read up on studies that suggest over-cleaning can lead to autoimmune disorders (including thyroid problems that she herself suffers from). Germs are not always a bad thing.

Also, I take...more
Holly Bluemlein
It wasn't as Eastern as I had hoped and it didn't really offer me any insight into better ways to clean, but I still enjoyed it and I think it will benefit my life. It was aimed at married women at children who hate cleaning. I'm the opposite--a single, childless woman who loves cleaning (just doesn't do it as often as I'd like) but the ideas were still good. I especially liked her insights about the toxic potential of the cleaning products we use in our homes--her thoughts are one of the bigges...more
Lauren Cassel
Mar 27, 2009 Lauren Cassel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this book....so of course I think it's wonderful! Hope you do as well!
Charise
Love this. Lots of good green cleaning advice.
Sondra Raines Brooks
Sondra Raines Brooks is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
M.bullock
M.bullock marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Dan
Dan added it
Aug 08, 2014
Jessica Kleoppel
Jessica Kleoppel marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Wicked
Wicked is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
Elaine Shandra
Elaine Shandra marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2013
jaye
jaye marked it as to-read
May 06, 2013
Trina Bolfing
Trina Bolfing marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Mirakalix
Mirakalix marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2013
Mirakalix
Mirakalix marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2013
Artemisia Hunt
Artemisia Hunt marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2013
Ajfrey
Ajfrey marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2013