Start by marking “Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  976 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Unlock the Artist WithinCollage is the perfect medium to help you unleash your creative potential. You can gather materials from just about anywhere, glue them down on a surface and magically create a work of art. There are no mistakes, only discoveries. What could be more exciting?

In "Collage Discovery Workshop," acclaimed collage artist Claudine Hellmuth shares 15 of her
Published November 1st 2003 by Northlight

To ask other readers questions about Collage Discovery Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collage Discovery Workshop

Darby
Jan 27, 2009 Darby rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists, scrapbookers
This book is a how-to-book for collage artists. This is hands down the best book I have seen on this subject. I probably own about 4/5 collage artist type books (one of which will be another review soon and should have happened before this one as I read it before this one.) But this book has good techniques, good instructions, good photographs and is just in general offer clear, helpful, practical advice for collage artists.

If you don't believe yourself to be an artist or creative, but would lik
Jenn
Feast your eyes on Claudine Hellmuth's collage style!

Not only does this book include beautiful (and instructive) photographs of Claudine's collage work, but the reader is also treated to many versatile techniques, all presented in Claudine's engaging and thoughtful conversational style, along with very helpful discussions of design issues.

The first part of the book focuses on adding several techniques to your artist "toolbox". For example, Claudine offers explanation and instruction for several
liberal sprinkles
I found this a very useful introduction to collage. Claudine Hellmuth explains very clearly several basic techniques for making collages (including peeling paper, peeling paint, textured paint) and image transfers, as well as using wax as a collage medium. The instructions are very well illustrated and there are several tutorials that easily take a beginner from the start to the end of projects to create some fun and whimsical collages. Hellmuth also guides readers in composition and gives ideas ...more
Jamie
The styles of the very specific projects weren't to my taste, but there it does touch on copyright on page 15.
Cat
This book is excellent -- it has easy step-by-step instructions for all kinds of techniques, with big useful pictures, lists of tools & supplies, etc. I was able to successfully execute all 4 types of image transfer (caulk, contact paper, heat, and wax) the first time I tried.
I really loved this book. Claudine is a clear and encouraging instructor, and the way she describes her process throughout the book is very helpful. I tend not to be drawn to the same kinds of images she uses, but I learned a lot in the areas of technique and process.
Joan
Alot of hype seemed to follow this book but I just didn't see it myself. There is great information and ideas to check out and the style is certainly Claudine through and through. This does show you how to use pieces of ephemera to make your pieces really interesting.
Stephanie
I found this book inspiring... it gave me plenty of ideas to try. Some of her artwork looks a bit dated to me, or maybe just not to my taste, but she teaches several relatively simple techniques for collage that would never have occurred to me. Very fun!
Angie Dasner
The author, Claudine Hellmuth, shares 15 of her favorite collage techniques. She guides you along, with friendly advice, on how to develop your artistic voice and turn an ordinary collage into something special.
Mary
Jun 21, 2009 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in collage/art/expression.
Recommended to Mary by: found it myself
Another way of looking at collage. I learned several new techniques and ways to use some of my art supplies that I hadn't thought of (fun when that happens!) Found most excellent projects to try, my own way.
Jo
This book is excellent and I learned several new techniques with its easy step-by-step instructions and guide to which new tools & supplies you need to accomplish some great collage work.
Erin Fickert-Rowland
Absolutely loved the way this book was organized and the projects that it included. Claudine Hellmuth is a brilliant artist and wonderful teacher- can't wait to read the next book!
Lucia
excellent.
great photos, instructions, and inspiration.
how to rust bottlecaps and mint tins, how to decide on composition...
must try practically everything in here some day!
opl.
Jillian
Nov 03, 2009 Jillian rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mixed media artists and scrapbookers.
Classy, beautiful, and inspiring. If you like Etsy, or Anthropologie--you'll love this. Also, check out her great website: http://www.collageartist.com/links.htm
Bonnie Jeanne
Collage Discovery Workshop: Make Your Own Collage Creations Using Vintage Photos, Found Objects and Ephemera by Claudine Hellmuth (2003)
Leslie
Some really interesting techniques for collage and some beautiful examples of the author's work
Maureen
Fascinating book...it certainly makes me wish I could take an actual workshop with the author.
Fran
Excellent. Working with it now as I create some new collaged journal covers.
Clara Dearmore Strom
Great book for us wanna be artists who need a step-by-step guide with pictures.
Anke
My first book for mixed-media-art and I sure still love it!!!!
Andie
This book makes my mind race..what kind of project can i do next....
Elizabeth
gave me some basic to what i see and want to do
Marcie Lovett
Great ideas and techniques.
Kim
love this book to pull ideas from!
Judy
Incredible . . . I can't wait to get some paint on my fingers! This book easily met or exceeded my expectations.
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • Kaleidoscope: Projects and Ideas to Spark Your Creativity
  • Pretty Little Things: Collage Jewelry, Keepsakes, Trinkets
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • In This House
  • Secrets of Rusty Things: Transforming Found Objects Into Art
  • Altered Curiosities: Assemblage Techniques & Projects
  • Altered Art: Techniques for Creating Altered Books, Boxes, Cards & More
  • Altered Books Workshop: 18 Creative Techniques for Self-Expression
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • The Decorated Page: Journals, Scrapbooks & Albums Made Simply Beautiful
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Collage Unleashed
  • Living the Creative Life: Ideas and Inspiration from Working Artists
  • The Journal Junkies Workshop: Visual Ammunition for the Art Addict
  • Where Women Create: Inspiring Work Spaces of Extraordinary Women
Collage Discovery Workshop: Beyond the Unexpected--New Techniques Using Color, Personal Imagery and Creative Surfaces The Scrapbooker's Creativity Kit: Prompts and Ideas to Jump Start Your Layouts Collage Discovery Workshop A Writer's Paris: A Guided Journey For The Creative Soul Wide Awake 666