Start by marking “The Erotic Spirit: An Anthology of Poems of Sensuality, Love, and Longing (Shambhala Library)” as Want to Read:

An anthology of poetry celebrating the spiritual aspect of Eros, and the longing not only to merge one's body with another but to join souls. It offers a collection spanning 35 centuries, featuring poets from around the world including Sappho, Ovid, Rumi, Shakespeare, Whitman and Neruda.
Published June 24th 2003 by Shambhala (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Erotic Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Erotic Spirit

Desca
Feb 02, 2017 Desca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Erotic Spirit is the compilation book of things considered as "Erotic" poems. I love it because the language they are using to explain things are easy and understandable.I do love it also because the eroticism they portray in this book may carry different interpretation as well as different reflection. This poem for instance; it carries a reflection and question to myself;

PEEKING IN THROUGH BY PRAXILLA

below."

1. I
Nov 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads, poetry
Most poetry collections tend to lean rather heavily on the 18th and 19th century British poets to the exclusion of anywhere and anywhen else. Shambala, not surprisingly, serves up a heaping helping from across the globe: Herrick's paean to disabille rubs cheeks with an Inuit poem, which itself sits next to a lay from a Mongol poet. (Now there's something you don't see every day.) The very breadth and scope of this collection makes up for a certain inconsistency of quality which might otherwise ...more
Kerry
Jun 29, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A thoughtfully compiled collection of erotic poetry through the ages with well-chosen translations. A good introduction to poets from around the world. These are classic works, so expect them to represent the age from which they come and demonstrate the style the poet worked in. While some poems may be more subjectively appealing than others, the diversity in perspective, type of poetry, imagery, and subject of the poems is intriguing and eye-opening.
Pollopicu
Jul 22, 2009 Pollopicu rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horny virginal teenagers
crap.
Another book someone left in my Apt. that I felt the need to read so I could remove it from my to-reads shelf once and for all. Immature lusty verses. Goodness gracious. This is the kind of stuff teenagers giggle about.

Please people, stop leaving shitty books in my apt.!! ..sheez
Vivian Sanchez
Oct 07, 2016 Vivian Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Erotic anthology

In this anthology you'll find ancient and modern poets from around the world. The only thing is that I would have liked an extended selection of contemporary poets.
Mario Adame
Sep 01, 2014 Mario Adame rated it it was amazing
Very good book and nicely organized. There is a wide range of poetry from different centuries which give the reader a portrait of word usage for how language has changed and stayed the same. If you enjoy simple but detailed beauty then I'm sure you will enjoy this anthology.
roulette
Jan 05, 2015 roulette rated it really liked it
With anthologies like this, you have to expect that some poems will really be great, and others will be a bore to read. I was introduced to some lovely poetry that I never otherwise would have come across, and for that I am thankful.
Kelsea Dawn Hume
Oct 07, 2011 Kelsea Dawn Hume rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
A wonderfully varied collection of poetry.
Luna
Jun 16, 2013 Luna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
A great anthology...some of the poems are so tender and beautiful in their longing and sadness. A must for poem lovers.
Holly
Jan 29, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it
Almost forgot about this one! Read it awhile back - probably the best collection of these types of poems.
Brianna Miller
Brianna Miller rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Devaney Roberts
Devaney Roberts rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2015
Mejix
Mejix rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Joshua Gage
Joshua Gage rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Robert Zimmermann
Robert Zimmermann rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2011
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it it was ok
May 08, 2015
Detty Wulandari
Detty Wulandari rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2011
rori flynn
rori flynn rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2009
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
May 22, 2008
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2016
Audrey
Audrey rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2012
Renetta
Renetta rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2011
Ken
Ken rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Jenna
Jenna rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Ambersioux
Ambersioux rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2008
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2008
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2007
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Ron Kastner
Ron Kastner rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
  • Stanyan Street & Other Sorrows
  • Erotic Poems
  • The Love Poems of John Keats: In Praise of Beauty
  • My Mother's Body: Poems
  • The Best American Erotica 2003 (Best American Erotica)
  • The Ink Dark Moon: Love Poems by Ono no Komachi and Izumi Shikibu, Women of the Ancient Court of Japan
  • The Best American Erotic Poems: From 1800 to the Present