Start by marking “Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills” as Want to Read:
Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

Creative Workshop: 80 Challenges to Sharpen Your Design Skills

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  377 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Have you ever struggled to complete a design project on time? Or felt that having a tight deadline stifled your capacity for maximum creativity? If so, then this book is for you. Within these pages, you'll find 80 creative challenges that will help you achieve a breadth of stronger design solutions, in various media, within any set time period. Exercises range from creatin ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Northlight

Andrea James
Sep 04, 2014 Andrea James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general
I'm not a designer or even someone who works in a strictly creative industry (unless you consider business consulting "creative") so with that caveat, here is my review.

I was interested in this book because partly because I like exercises to stimulate ideas and solutions to problems (even seemingly boring business problems). And also because I deliver training sessions and so I'm always on the lookout for ways to give people insights. If it takes a creative exercise to bring about an ah-ha momen
Cindy
Jul 16, 2014 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great way to become inspired and get going. I do a couple of exercises in here and it's enough for me to push out 4-8 visually appealing prototypes to be turned into high fidelity prototypes later on.
Amelia
Mar 18, 2015 Amelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fun even for non designers like my boyfriend and myself! Creative and interactive challenges--have given it as a gift to two designer friends so far who have enjoyed it.
Victoria H.
Jan 30, 2014 Victoria H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Exactly what I needed! This a classroom post-degree exercise book. As a recent graduate with graphic design knowledge and skills in back pocket, this book introduces exciting self projects to get your creative gears moving and reinforces the habit of sketching (which, I believe is an underappreciated initiation of design solving for many).

This is THE book for creating items for your portfolio.

Each exercise includes rules, time restraints, examples of others work, and a possibility to manufactu
Laurian
Jul 06, 2013 Laurian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux, non-fiction
It took me a while to read this book because there wasn't much pulling me forward. But, that said, I found it to be pretty interesting and provocative. While I have yet to try any of the ideas, it did serve as a creative stepping stone to me creating my own ideas of activities I can do.

My only real criticism is I was hoping that the activities would be more at a beginner level. Some of them, I think, would require some hefty graphic design skills that many who are "designers" don't have.
Dirk
Nov 01, 2013 Dirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title was somewhat confusing to me, but in the end i liked the book. It just makes you think in a creative way.
Yunju
Sep 30, 2013 Yunju rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-design
Good design reference book, the last two sections: "innovation" and "interpretation" are particularly intriguing.
Etienne Beaulieu
Présente certaines idées intéressantes pour stimuler la créativité, mais demeure au premier niveau!
Rad
Rad rated it it was amazing
Altin Kqiku
Altin Kqiku rated it it was amazing
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Alyssa Hilliard
Alyssa Hilliard marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Malina Piscociu
Malina Piscociu marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Jamie Bunce
Jamie Bunce marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Ellie Wilson
Ellie Wilson marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Debra Taylor
Debra Taylor marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Nika Martinez
Nika Martinez is currently reading it
Johanna
Johanna is currently reading it
Marisa Hendrickson
Marisa Hendrickson marked it as to-read
Tarun Durga
Tarun Durga is currently reading it
Dark Soul
Dark Soul rated it it was amazing
Gabriela
Gabriela marked it as to-read
Om
Om rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Jasa
Jasa added it
Feb 03, 2016
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
JS
JS marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
L
L marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
  • Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design Thinking
  • The Graphic Design Exercise Book: Creative Briefs to Enhance Your Skills and Develop Your Portfolio
  • 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Vector Basic Training: A Systematic Creative Process for Building Precision Vector Artwork (Voices That Matter)
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Color Design Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Using Color in Graphic Design
  • Logo Design Love: A Guide to Creating Iconic Brand Identities
  • Design Basics Index: A Graphic Designer's Guide to Designing Effective Compositions, Selecting Dynamic Components & Developing Creative Concepts
  • Talent Is Not Enough: Business Secrets for Designers
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • The Creative Process Illustrated: How Advertising's Big Ideas Are Born
  • 101 Design Methods: A Structured Approach for Driving Innovation in Your Organization
  • How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
David Sherwin is a creative director and and interaction designer that has created or co-authored multiple books and toolkits that help people become better problem solvers and business thinkers. Currently, he is a Principal Designer at frog, a global innovation firm, and a Senior Lecturer at California College of the Arts in the BFA in Interaction Design program. In his free time, he mentors desi ...more
More about David Sherwin...

“Art is the elimination of the unnecessary.” —Pablo Picasso” 2 likes