Start by marking “Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques” as Want to Read:
Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques

Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Breaking the Surface Pondering how to begin a new piece of art? Surface Treatment Workshop has the answer! The authors of Image Transfer Workshop are back to show you 45 stepped-out mixed-media techniques that will add depth and texture to your artwork. These techniques are the perfect jump-off point for creating art you will love to look at, and, in some cases, touch! In ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Northlight (first published February 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Surface Treatment Workshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surface Treatment Workshop

liberal sprinkles
What an incredible book this is to learn about different ways of creating mixed-media art. The book covers a lot of techniques, many of which I haven't seen in other art or mixed media books. And you really get bang for your bucks as the authors list (though not in detail) several variations you can try with each technique.

The 45 techniques taught are categorized as additives (drawing grounds, ventilation tape, skins and shaving foam are some I found more unusual), resist (petroleum jelly, rubbi
Marie Z. Johansen
I love this book! I was hesitant about it because the author's previous book "Image Transfer Workshop" is, in my humble opinion, one of the best books I've invested in (and I invest a lot in books!) and I wasn't sure that a new book could live up to that opinion. I am SO happy to report that this book is another home run, totally out-of-the-ball park winner of a book.

The lay out is very well considered and the instructions are superlative - perfectly illustrated with photos that relate directly
Melody
Jan 11, 2012 Melody rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people into collage or mixed media arts
Shelves: art
some great basics to get you going. I would have liked a few more pages and details on each treatment. In one section there is a mention of water-slide transfer and I flipped back forth round and round to find what the hell that was and couldn't find out...it might be there and I'm missing it...but still, I heard of things like "fiber paste" that I'd never heard of and learned ways to use my gel medium stuff...i learned a lot from this book. Got a lot of ideas and inspiration. Just wish it had m ...more
Darby
I only gave this book 2 stars because I felt the instructions on each treatment/technique lacked. The instructions weren't complete and when attempting techniques - they didn't turn out. To get ideas to experiment on your own without the instructions is probably the best way to use this book.
Doaa
Well,, i didn't try any technique yet,,
but i enjoyed reading this book,,
and some techniques gave really interesting results so i can't wait to try it,, :)
4 stars because some techniques weren't awesome :D
Palma
If you want to learn how to vreate many different kinds of textures then this is on of the books to buy. It is filled with images and very inspirational.

A great book and very well written . Highly recommended.
Rikelle
An excellent reference for any artist. Great pictures, detailed instructions and examples. There are some very interesting techniques that I haven't seen in other books. I am excited to try some out.
Carol
I received this as a prize from Rice Freeman-Zachery's fabulous blog http://voodoonotes.blogspot.com. Lots of great ideas in this book; so glad to have it in my arsenal. Thanks Rice!
Jo
Good primer for mixed media work. Has the standard techniques plus some innovative and interesting new ones too. Recommended for all levels of experience.
Geri Degruy
I love this book. 45 well-described, wonderful mixed media techniques. I use them! Great book.
Beverley
Incredible and one i need to own on my buying list.
Laura Lawless
Informative and inspiring. A great reference.
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Vicky Lea
Vicky Lea marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Priscilla Stultz
Priscilla Stultz marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2015
Dr I S Upton
Dr I S Upton is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2015
Skylar
Skylar marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Albalba
Albalba marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Personal Geographies: Explorations in Mixed-Media Mapmaking
  • Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media
  • Creative Wildfire: An Introduction to Art Journaling - Basics and Beyond
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Artist Trading Cards Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery: Mixed-Media Techniques for Collage, Altered Books, Artist Journals, and More
  • The Book as Art: Artists' Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Unfurling, A Mixed-Media Workshop with Misty Mawn: Inspiration and Techniques for Self-Expression through Art
  • Dan Eldon: Safari as a Way of Life
  • Acrylic Revolution: New Tricks & Techniques for Working with the World's Most Versatile Medium
  • Playing with Image Transfers: Exploring Creative Imagery for Use in Art, Mixed Media, and Design
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
Mixed Media Revolution: Creative Ideas for Reusing Your Art Image Transfer Workshop Mixed-media Techniques for Successful Transfers by Duran Wilson, Sandra  ON Jul-18-2009, Paperback