Start by marking “The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide to Themes, Trends & Styles in Website Design” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Inspiring Web Design at a Glance The Web Designer's Idea Book includes more than 700 websites arranged thematically, so you can find inspiration for layout, color, style and more. Author Patrick McNeil has cataloged more than 5,000 sites on his website, and showcased in this book are the very best examples. Sites are organized by type, design style, theme, color, element a ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Northlight

To ask other readers questions about The Web Designer's Idea Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Web Designer's Idea Book

VaultOfBooks
By Patrick McNeil. Grade: A+

When I opened this book, my amazement could have made me gasp aloud. The book opens to pages of full-color, top-notch designs. My mind started ticking away immediately. The inspiration was already sparking in the air above me. No words were read; just viewing and consuming.
The Web Designer’s Idea Book includes more than 700 websites arranged thematically so you can find inspiration for layout, color, style and more. Author Patrick McNeil has catalogued more than 5,000
Laurian
This is 1/2 of this months UX book club read at my company. I found it when I was at Powells a few months ago and thought it would server as a useful tool when I get stuck while doing design. I often find myself just unhappy with what I'm producing because it is the same thing over and over again. This is fine for creating a consistent look-and-feel across a spectrum of products, but it can also mean that what I'm doing is derivative and not staying up-to-date. And, lord knows, the US government ...more
Jeffrey Ning
Structured approach of web development using HTML5 and CSS3 web design. However, the examples are still based on HTML 4.0 or XHTML instead of responsive design using HTML5 and CSS3. Good read for systematic developer, designer or programmer.
Tom
These types of books are tough, since as soon as you bind them the websites are no longer in vogue. However, I really like the way the book is organized, showing sites by type, design style, theme, color, element and structure. You can look at blog designs, or red designs, or designs that make good use of gradients, and the index is helpful in getting where you want, fast. Lots of Scandinavian sites, interesting.
Yuki
I enjoyed this catalog and his comments on the different types of design there are today. The sites screenshots are organized by type, color, and style so you can clearly see how similar these sites really are. Love the neat organization of this book.
Mark Shropshire
Enjoyed how the designs were organized in this book. Paper/print quality is great. I think web based css galleries now superced the need for books like this unless the books have a lot explanation and review of the work.
Marva Whitaker
This book was really interesting. -Which is weird, given that it's just examples of good sites divided into various types. But I liked the notes and the color combos at the ends of the chapter were helpful.
Chris
Had some decent examples, but felt limited in its breadth. Would have liked more corporate categories as well as CMS-centric examples, since those are all the rage these days (for better or worse [worse]).
Michele White
Very visual book to help you think about what constitutes good web design, broken down by elements and style. A helpful resource when approaching your own design project.
Kinga
Good showcase, clear and practical writing; interesting grouping - although some of the separation ("church sites") seem a bit puzzling. Got a ton of fresh ideas from the book.
Alex
A lot of websites broken down into categories. As a web designer I thought it is a good reference to see different websites and different styles of sites.
Kelley Taylor
Color schemes were not accurate and very little was informative. No font suggestions that I could find. But it was a great lookbook.
Chris
This is a good book for beginner new to web design. Offer a lot of visual ideas but not much on the academic side.
Bart De Pelsmaeker
Very inspiring, a must-have resource for all involved in designing sites and apps.
Patrick
I wrote it, so of course it gets 5 stars :)
Cheryl
Visual delight; inspiring
Gerad
Gerad marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Neko McEvil
Neko McEvil marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Oscar
Oscar added it
Nov 14, 2014
Carlos
Carlos marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Swathi Ravichandran
Swathi Ravichandran marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Malik Yousaf
Malik Yousaf marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Bwalya Katala
Bwalya Katala marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Crs Makh
Crs Makh marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Download Themes Premium for Wordpress 1 2 Mar 07, 2014 08:32AM
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving Flexibility and Protecting Against Worst-Case Scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Above the Fold: Understanding the Principles of Successful Web Site Design
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • HTML5 For Web Designers
  • Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog (Smashing Magazine Book Series)
  • Introducing HTML5
  • Prioritizing Web Usability
  • Transcending CSS: The Fine Art of Web Design
  • CSS Pocket Reference
  • Designing for Emotion
The Web Designer's Idea Book Volume 2: More of the Best Themes, Trends and Styles in Website Design The Web Designer's Idea Book, Volume 3: Inspiration from Today's Best Web Design Trends, Themes and Styles The Designer's Web Handbook: What You Need to Know to Create for the Web Mobile Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide to Trends, Themes and Styles in Mobile Web Design Web Designer's Idea Book, Volume 4: Inspiration from the Best Web Design Trends, Themes and Styles