The Art of Manliness - Manvotionals: Timeless Wisdom and Advice on Living the 7 Manly Virtues

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  358 ratings  ·  37 reviews
What Makes a Man, a Man?For centuries, being a man meant living a life of virtue and excellence. But then, through time, the art of manliness was lost.

Now, after decades of excess and aimless drift, men are looking for something to help them live an authentic, manly life--a primer that can give their life real direction and purpose.

This book holds the answers. To master th...more
Unknown Binding, 274 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Northlight (first published August 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Manliness - Manvotionals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Manliness - Manvotionals

Arminius
One day I decided to look up productive things to do in my free time. So into Google I typed “hobbies for men.” When I clicked on the first webpage the Art of Manliness website appeared. It listed many manly hobbies most of which I already participate in such as Chess, gardening, exercise and reading. The website did gain my attention though and I explored it. What I found was that the website creators authored a book which acts as a guide to becoming and sustaining the act of being a successful...more
Joshua Guest
There is not much in here that can't be already found online, as the book is almost entirely borrowed content from other authors in the form of essays, journal entries, poems, speeches, and letters. The book is useful because it spares the reader the trouble of having to go and find all these tidbits of patriarchal wisdom.

Since Susan says my reviews are entirely too long, I'll act as though she was right and end with simply this: The book is a must-have for men.
Aaron Antcliff
This is a consistent go-to book for me when I need a little inspiration. It's more than about "being manly" it's about living life with a sense of purpose And developing your character inside and out. There's nothing new here, these are all previous writings of prolific writers, philosophers and men of influence and industry. But, they are compiled in a set of 7 character traits that all of us can draw lessons from. Must-read.
Peter Wolfley
This is the reference guide to pure inspiration. It breaks down 7 virtues which every man (and woman) should aspire to and develop. Brings together some of the best speeches, poems, instructions, and advice from the history of the recorded word. Once again, the Art of Manliness has not let me down.
Monika Eftimova
I accidentally stumbled upon this book. While I was on a flight back home and was browsing the Kindle of a friend of mine my eyes stopped on this title which looked like a book which supposedly could be used for teasing him. So I gave it a shot. It turned out it's actually a read worth reading.
Michael
Probably one of the most inspirational (in a non-relgious sense) books I've ever read. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to anyone, male or female.
Alex
This short but valuable book is perhaps one of the best starting places for young men around the western world. Through it we might be exposed to some of the classical notions of what it means to be a man and more than that, a better human being.

Today, I feel there is a deep lack of self-knowledge: how many of us know what they want, or at least have some vague notion? Young people go through the motions set forth by their parents and government - study, serve, pay taxes, maybe found a family....more
Brendan
I have mixed feelings about this one. What initially started as an attempt to read something different and fun turned into an exercise in discipline (ironically, this was one of the virtues that the book advocated). It was a surprisingly long book.

The book is a collection of stories, poems, songs, speeches, letters centered around different "manly virtues", so in a sense there wasn't anything wrong with the writing-it was a selection of different figures throughout history.

Things to enjoy about...more
Dwight Acorda
Man, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It's a collection of different literary pieces from the ancient to contemporary times. It encompasses a broad view of information ranging from the seven different virtues that it teaches: Manliness, Courage, Industry, Resolution, Self-Reliance, Discipline, and Honor.

An absolutely recommended read for the young to adult men alike, as it teaches the basic principles one must (or should) abide by to live a wholesome life. The short stories and pieces ar...more
Ben Wicks
I found the Art of Manliness blog a few years ago and I've been loving it ever since. I decided to buy this book last year and I'm so glad I did. I don't think it's really intended to be read straight through. I spread the first chunk out but finished up the second half in about 3 days.

The book is essentially an anthology of works and quotes of many great men broken into seven themed chapters. They are: manliness, courage, industry, resolution, self-reliance, discipline, and honor. There are so...more
Shane
The second of Brett and Kate McKay's books, this features a different format then its predecessor "The Art of Manliness." It's divided up into chapters on the 7 manly virtues, and contains many short stories and even poems from some of history's greatest classic men. Well worth reading in the morning, very inspirational!
Wells Hamilton
Admittedly, the cover of this book and the title, "Manvotionals", make this collection easy to dismiss as tacky at first glance.

Manvotionals contains a valuable collection of writings of accomplished men from the last two thousand years. The samples of writings are generally short, to the point, and entertaining to read. The chapters are organized by seven "manly" virtues of Manliness, Courage, Industry, Resolution, Self-reliance, Discipline, and Honor. I've learned much history and enjoyed sto...more
Charlie Dennis
I did enjoy some of the book however, I was disappointed. I would be remiss in thinking that men's virtues, defined as being the best one can be and not list a virtue of living one's life for God and the salvation He gave us in Christ Jesus. Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. Matthew 22:37-39 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and w...more
M
This is an eclectic collection of advice and wisdom covering the seven manly virtues that should be embraced by both men and women. A lot of wisdom comes from the turn of the 20th century, give or take a decade. The counsel of that era is poignant and relevant today to encourage hard work and integrity (another advantage of that era's advice is its release from copyright). There is also wisdom from the Roman Empire and even tidbits from WW2 personalities like Churchill and the Band of Brothers c...more
Faisal Noor
The book has good advice for young lads which they might find amusing to read , but I personally found it boring to revisit all the lessons of manhood again. It's a valuable book to keep nonetheless.
Will Custer
Love this book. Been through it twice, and plan on going through it semi-regularly to keep a reminder of what and who I'd like to make of myself, someday and every day.
James Mew
Informative, inspirational and motivational - page after page. Through poetry, letters and clippings this book boasts ancient and pre-modern writings (and quotes) from some of the most prolific minds since Roman times. Timeless advice that'll have you spellbound and yearning to become a better man!
Jarrod Terry
Amazing read. It's chock-full of wisdom on everything from time management to everyday courage. This is a must-read book for men and boys.
Matthew
I was a big fan of the first "Art of Manliness" book since I felt it offered some very poignant advice for young adults. Having read this second book, I have to say that I was not captured as much.

This book is largely a collection of poems, letters and other writings through history that define certain manly qualities. Overall they are solid, but they do not give the book a nice narrative or flow. They simply did not capture me as a reader. I would recommend reading the book a passage a day, alm...more
Zac Crocker
The book is a collection of essays, poems, short stories, speeches, etc meant to inspire manly growth and honor. I think this approach was smart on Brett and Kay McKay's part. Who better to give advice on discipline and self reliance than Teddy Roosevelt? Filled with the stern frankness of Arnold Bennett, and garnished with the elegant eloquence of the Kiplings and Longfellows, it all creates a harmonious cadence that you're sucked into. Every high school graduate should read this upon entering...more
Todd
One of the better books on classical western ideals of masculinity I've read. It is a collection rather than original material. McKay's summaries of his "7 Manly Virtues" were insightful, but not preachy. I thought deeply as I read this book, and it has changed my attitudes and perspective for the better.
Colin
A truly epic devotional on readings regarding the art of manliness, from . . . The Art of Manliness! Everything from ancient Greek philosophers to Teddy Roosevelt packed into the theme of seven manly virtues: Manliness, Courage, Industry, Resolution, Self-Reliance, Discipline, and Honor.
Dan
Very inspiring readings from men like Roosevelt, Churchill, Whitman, and Longfellow. A nice variety of speeches, poems, letters, and quotations. I could have done without as many excerpts from the "success manuals" of the late 19th and early 20th centuries--those were a little tedious.
Mark Love
There are worse books. It highlights important virtues, but it so often does so from the viewpoint that the benefit to others is what makes these virtues virtuous that I find myself not all that inspired. The book also relies a lot on poetry, about which I'm lukewarm.
Caleb
Lots of good stuff here. Hard to just sit down an read this one like a regular book. More of a book to read a bit from and reflect. I admire Brett McKay for what he's doing with The Art of Manliness.
Nick
Would recommend this to any male. In fact, to be honest I would recommend this to anyone trying to live a life of virtue and character. I read this book often, it's highlighted and bookmarked, and it's awesome
Faisal Noor
Anthony
An excellent collection of timeless writings that will be required reading my three boys. There is no wrong in striving to meet the virtues discussed in this book.
Raphael Dourado
A great selection of writings from the ancient Greeks to 20th century. It's really worth the reading, not only one time, but again and again.
Ron
I use stuff in this book at my work all the time. I'm a therapist and my clients love it. Gives great discussion points in group settings.
  • No More Mr Nice Guy
  • How to Be an Adult: A Handbook for Psychological and Spiritual Integration
  • Fiction and the Figures of Life
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities
  • A Nation Rising: Untold Tales of Flawed Founders, Fallen Heroes, and Forgotten Fighters from America's Hidden History
The Art of Manliness: Classic Skills and Manners for the Modern Man Art of Manliness Collection 30 Days to a Better Man

“It is only the man who carries into his pursuits that great quality which Lucan ascribes to Caesar, Nescia virtus stare loco [his energy could never rest]—who first consults wisely, then resolves firmly, and then executes his purpose with inflexible perseverance, undismayed by those petty difficulties which daunt a weaker spirit—that can advance to eminence in any line.” 1 likes