Start by marking “Your Artist's Brain: Use the Right Side of Your Brain to Draw and Paint What You See - Not What You Think You See” as Want to Read:

Overcome the obstacles to your artistic expression Improving your artwork can be as simple as learning how to trust your eyes. "Your Artist's Brain" shows you how to portray even the most complex subjects by focusing on what you really see - not what you think you see.

Expert art instructor Carl Purcell shows you how to overcome dependency on the "intellectual brain" and li
Published April 29th 2010 by North Light Books (first published April 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Your Artist's Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Artist's Brain

Nick
Jan 14, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-shelf
Being a computer programmer, I am unfortunately almost completely disconnected with my right side. Copying drawings, trying step by step instructions, and even tracing, always leads me to terrible drawings.

This book, however, pin points the reasons why HEAD ON! Once are you are aware of why your drawings don't quite look right, they instantly start looking a lot less "not quite right".

Only 4 key points and you'll be a huge step forward in your drawing career. Of all the drawing books I've read,
Sheril Hannah
Jul 29, 2016 Sheril Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A different approach

Its a new concept to get out of the controls of our logical brain and to switch to artistic mode

This frees up lots of stress in painting
Annette M.
Mar 16, 2013 Annette M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book that diagnoses drawing problems and gives great tips for correcting problems. I learned a new measuring system for drawing and am am enjoying drawing more;although I still draw slowly.
Lisa
Mar 17, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book! Full of great advice and improved how I do art. I highly recommend for anyone wanting to learn to draw or improve your realism.
Cj Zawacki
Cj Zawacki rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2014
Deidre
Aug 03, 2015 Deidre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal verbal and visual illustrations. Empowering
Preethi
Preethi rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2014
Brian Sanders
Brian Sanders rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Robin Wiesneth
Robin Wiesneth rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
mignonne la chapelle
mignonne la chapelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2017
Rita
Rita rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Katy Borluvie
Katy Borluvie rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2012
William D. Furst
William D. Furst rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2014
Karen Grubaugh
Karen Grubaugh rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Moira
Moira rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2013
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Donald Williams
Donald Williams rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Thomas Petersen
Thomas Petersen rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Susan Gray
Susan Gray rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2017
D Joseph
D Joseph rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Brennen Reece
Brennen Reece rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2016
Mariel
Mariel rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2014
Arleen Thaler
Arleen Thaler rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
AshGUTZ
AshGUTZ rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Gitti
Gitti rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Steve Goodwin
Steve Goodwin rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Kristen Lapin
Kristen Lapin rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
J.
J. rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2010
Patrycehp
Patrycehp rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

“Drawings are the product of intense observation, not intellectual interpretation.” 0 likes
“It's odd that in our culture we assume that everyone can (and should) learn basic language skills although only a small percentage will become authors. We also assume that everyone can learn math while only a few will become mathematicians. However, we assume that drawing requires some special talent possessed by only a few and the rest need not try.” 0 likes