4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
"Children are made readers on the laps of their parents."--Author Emilie Buchwald

Filled with beautifully illustrated reviews and a wealth of recommendations, "A Parent's Guide to the Best Kids' Comics" lovingly and thoughtfully reveals a world of graphic novels sure to capture the imagination and curiosity of your child.

Children's literature experts and library professiona...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Krause Publications

Karen
Finally, a book that provides information in a clear way. Extremely well done. I highly recommend every library have a spare copy in reference. Parents can get a bird's eye view of the plot, educaional tie in and potential for violence and series to follow.
paula
The book works like this: one hundred comics are reviewed, each with a list of titles if it's a series, awards if any, and educational tie-ins. If the comic includes anything, and I mean anything, that a parent might object to - e.g. potty humor, name-calling, cartoon violence - it is noted. Another 750 books are represented in the "if you like this, then try" lists that the authors have compiled for each featured title. Those lists include capsule reviews of each recommended title. Whew!

Full re...more
Sharlena
A great resource for age appropriate comics. The only downside is that my to read list will be growing now!
Patricia
A good guide for both parents & children to help them find graphic novels & manga titles suitable for their various grade levels, from Pre-K to 1; grades 2-3; 4-5; up to grades 6-8. Good recommendations, with full lists of titles & also further reading suggestions. I was the graphic novel selector for an 18-library system for over 13 years (just recently retired) & have read most of these- my one small quibble is that some of the ratings are too low- titles I would not suggest fo...more
Becky
Such a useful guide, especially with the proliferation of great graphic novels for younger readers. Search by grade level or genre. Includes cover images and page images of 100 kids' comics, plus 750 readalike recommendations, with summaries and content alerts.

Bruce Nelson
What a great resource for parents, teachers, & librarians. Hundreds of titles to choose from I'm trying to figure out how get as many as possible for my classroom library. Divided into sections by grade level- each page not only reviews the title but also includes a list of other books in the series, educational tie-ins, a heads up of things that might cause problems (violence, "potty humor" etc.), and especially a "If you like this, you'd also like..."
The Styling Librarian
Began to read through and highlight every other title in: A Parent's Guide to the Best Kid's Comics: Choosing Titles Your Children Will Love by Scott Robins and Snow Wildsmith - Grabbed it as an eBook which is also a fantastic way to make me use my highlighting and note tools on my iPad! This book might turn out to be dangerous for my book buying budget!
Octavia
Excellent example of how different kinds of comics there are for kids. You can never out grow a good graphic novel.
Abraham Ray
nice book about kids graphic novels
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Fjóla
Fjóla marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Roy
Roy added it
Feb 10, 2014
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2013
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Sean Quinn
Sean Quinn marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013