The Blue Hackle: A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery

The Blue Hackle: A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Alasdair Cameron and Fergus MacDonald were childhood friends. Their fathers' caps carried a blue hackle, the badge-feather of a distinguished Scottish regiment. Now the feather in Fergie's cap is the decaying Dunasheen Estate on the Isle of Skye. His desperate schemes to save his home depend on a collection of historic artifacts, a handful of paying guests expecting a trad...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Wildside Press (first published 2010)

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Well, I wish I could show you the cover of this novel as the book feeds to it directly. So, you look through the ruins to the blue waters of the Island of Skye, up the hill made of white rock quartz and moss to a large turreted castle.

A favorite sleuth team, Jean Fairbairn, co-owner of Great Scot!, and a journalist is at the Castle Dunasheen with her fiance Alasdair Cameron for their wedding. The time is just before Hogmanay or New Years. There are several guests at the Castle.

Jean and Alasdair...more
Shelves: mystery, supernatural
The Blue Hackle
B: Lillian Stewart Carl
Copyright November 2010

Jean and Alasdair are at the home of Alasdair’s childhood friend Fergus MacDonald. Fergus has turned his estate into a hotel of sorts, in the manor of a B&B. It’s located on the Isle of Skye, and is his ancestral home. They had arrangement with Fergus to have their wedding take place at the Manor’s Chapel, and to join in the Coming in of the New Year. Fergus and his daughter gave them a special rate in exchange for Jean writing ar...more
Susan
Jean Fairbairn and Alasdair Cameron are preparing for their post-New Year's Day marriage at a country house hotel owned by Alasdair's oldest friend, Fergie, on the Isle of Skye. Then one of the other guests at a Hogmanay weekend dies mysteriously, and retired policeman Alasdair goes back into action, with Jean, as usual, using flashes of intuition to open up new possibilities. One of the things this opposites-attract couple has in common is the ability to see ghosts, and Skye certainly has ghost...more
Janet
Castles, Skye, Ghosts, Murder ... what more do you need.
Vicki Gooding
The language was a bit difficult to follow. A bit dry. The setting is around the holidays, and a wedding. Thing is this couple see's ghosts. I could hardly finish it. It was not a bad book, just one that is not my cup of tea.
Marta Perry
I really enjoyed this book, the latest in this series. The setting on the Isle of Skye is unique and fascinating, and I enjoy the ghostly touches in this series. I'll be starting on one of the author's other series soon.
Carolyn Rose
I'm a huge fan of setting detail, so I loved the descriptions of the setting and the weather. I almost felt the chill in the air, smelled the food laid on for the holidays, and saw the sheep grazing along the winding roads.
Rebecca
This is the best book in the Jean Fairbairn/Aladair Cameron Mytery series. It has a seaside manor house, Christmas and Hogmanay celebrations, lots of suspects and suspense.
Jessie
Jessie is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2014
Tari_Roo
Tari_Roo marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Baa
Baa added it
Feb 11, 2014
Gwyn
Gwyn marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Pamela Kern
Pamela Kern marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Author bio:

Lillian Stewart Carl's work often features paranormal/fantasy themes and always features plots based on mythology, history, and archaeology. Most of her novels take place squarely in the twenty-first century, where the past lingers on into the present, especially in the British Isles, Lillian's home away from home.

She is the author of nineteen novels so far, including the Jean Fairbairn...more
More about Lillian Stewart Carl...
The Vorkosigan Companion The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1) The Murder Hole (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #2) The Burning Glass (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #3) The Charm Stone (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #4)