Start by marking “The Blue Hackle: A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Blue Hackle: A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery

The Blue Hackle: A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #5)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Alasdair Cameron and Fergus MacDonald were childhood friends. Their fathers' caps carried a blue hackle, the badge-feather of a distinguished Scottish regiment. Now the feather in Fergie's cap is the decaying Dunasheen Estate on the Isle of Skye. His desperate schemes to save his home depend on a collection of historic artifacts, a handful of paying guests expecting a trad ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Wildside Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Hackle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Hackle

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Well, I wish I could show you the cover of this novel as the book feeds to it directly. So, you look through the ruins to the blue waters of the Island of Skye, up the hill made of white rock quartz and moss to a large turreted castle.

A favorite sleuth team, Jean Fairbairn, co-owner of Great Scot!, and a journalist is at the Castle Dunasheen with her fiance Alasdair Cameron for their wedding. The time is just before Hogmanay or New Years. There are several guests at the Castle.

Jean and Alasdair
Feb 14, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Nora-adrienne by: Author
Shelves: supernatural, mystery
The Blue Hackle
B: Lillian Stewart Carl
Copyright November 2010

Jean and Alasdair are at the home of Alasdair’s childhood friend Fergus MacDonald. Fergus has turned his estate into a hotel of sorts, in the manor of a B&B. It’s located on the Isle of Skye, and is his ancestral home. They had arrangement with Fergus to have their wedding take place at the Manor’s Chapel, and to join in the Coming in of the New Year. Fergus and his daughter gave them a special rate in exchange for Jean writing ar
Katy M
a bit cheesy and without, in my opinion, enough clues strewn about the book, but I kept wanting to find out what was happening, so it must have been good.
Jana Denardo
I came in too late in the series (library find) so that impacted my enjoyment of this one. Still it's a decent mystery if a bit slow.
Jean Fairbairn and Alasdair Cameron are preparing for their post-New Year's Day marriage at a country house hotel owned by Alasdair's oldest friend, Fergie, on the Isle of Skye. Then one of the other guests at a Hogmanay weekend dies mysteriously, and retired policeman Alasdair goes back into action, with Jean, as usual, using flashes of intuition to open up new possibilities. One of the things this opposites-attract couple has in common is the ability to see ghosts, and Skye certainly has ghost ...more
Castles, Skye, Ghosts, Murder ... what more do you need.
Vicki Gooding
The language was a bit difficult to follow. A bit dry. The setting is around the holidays, and a wedding. Thing is this couple see's ghosts. I could hardly finish it. It was not a bad book, just one that is not my cup of tea.
Marta Perry
I really enjoyed this book, the latest in this series. The setting on the Isle of Skye is unique and fascinating, and I enjoy the ghostly touches in this series. I'll be starting on one of the author's other series soon.
Carolyn Rose
I'm a huge fan of setting detail, so I loved the descriptions of the setting and the weather. I almost felt the chill in the air, smelled the food laid on for the holidays, and saw the sheep grazing along the winding roads.
This is the best book in the Jean Fairbairn/Aladair Cameron Mytery series. It has a seaside manor house, Christmas and Hogmanay celebrations, lots of suspects and suspense.
Karen Berzins
Karen Berzins marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
denise bell
denise bell is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2015
Rosina marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Casie marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Leslie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Annie added it
Oct 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Author bio:

Lillian Stewart Carl's work often features paranormal/fantasy themes and always features plots based on mythology, history, and archaeology. Most of her novels take place squarely in the twenty-first century, where the past lingers on into the present, especially in the British Isles, Lillian's home away from home.

She is the author of nineteen novels so far, including the Jean Fairbairn
More about Lillian Stewart Carl...

A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery (7 books)
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • The Murder Hole (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #2)
  • The Burning Glass (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #3)
  • The Charm Stone (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #4)
  • The Mortsafe (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #6)
  • The Avalon Chanter: A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery