Start by marking “The Visionary Christian” as Want to Read:
The Visionary Christian

The Visionary Christian

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Culled from some of C.S. Lewis's finest fiction and poetry, this collection of writings explores the eternal truths of Christianity in the accessible language of allegory, fairy tales, dream visions, and science fiction. From his children's classic The Chronicles of Narnia to the wisdom of Screwtape on marriage, democracy, and heaven, Lewis's literary imagination and extra ...more
Published August 1st 1984 by Scribner Book Company (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Visionary Christian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visionary Christian

This is a look at many aspects of the human condition through excerpts of CS Lewis's fantasy and sci-fi writings.

It gives you just enough of a taste to want to read the entire books this book samples be careful;)
This book of excerpts from C.S. Lewis' other fictional writings may be great if you have already read those, but I need context. I had a hard time with it.
I can't read this anymore.. I need to read the full texts. I get just a taste and then it's over. I'm starting with the chronicles, but I know I'll have to choose some straight up C.S. Lewis theology to read along with the fantasies. I just can't choose where to start... so many selections!
Oct 03, 2009 Pat marked it as part-read-on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Once upon a time, KU paid me to go to school. I could have saved money to buy a house. Or fed a lot of people. Instead, I bought books. Including books consisting almost entirely of excerpts of other books which I already owned. Good thing the story doesn't end here!
Sherrie Pilkington
C.S. Lewis just doesn't translate well into short snippets. This book was hard to stay interested in.
Linda Horn
This is an excellent book. It's a good read for beginners to C.S. Lewis because its succinct.
An anthology of Lewis's imaginative writings.
Anna Charis
Anna Charis marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Kathy Harper
Kathy Harper marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Gail marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Amy Horton
Amy Horton marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Anne W Brown
Anne W Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Shantel marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Judy marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Camille marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Angel marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Judith added it
Jun 02, 2015
John marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Flippyeve marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Danie Williams-Rivera
Danie Williams-Rivera marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Celine marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • C.S. Lewis: Mere Christian, Fourth Edition
  • How Evil Works: Understanding and Overcoming the Destructive Forces That Are Transforming America
  • The Road to Daybreak: A Spiritual Journey
  • Honest to God?: Becoming an Authentic Christian
  • What If Jesus Had Never Been Born? The Positive Impact of Christianity in History
  • Paul for Everyone: Romans, Part Two: Chapters 9-16
  • 131 Christians Everyone Should Know
  • Following the Light of Christ into His Presence
  • The Tragedy of American Compassion
  • Hidden  (Left Behind: The Kids, #9-12)
  • Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry
  • More Ready Than You Realize: The Power of Everyday Conversations
  • Wide Awake
  • The Next Christians: The Good News About the End of Christian America
  • Pursuing Justice: The Call to Live & Die for Bigger Things
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • Max on Life: Answers and Insights to Your Most Important Questions
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...