Start by marking “Volcanoes in Human History: The Far-Reaching Effects of Major Eruptions” as Want to Read:
Volcanoes in Human History: The Far-Reaching Effects of Major Eruptions

Volcanoes in Human History: The Far-Reaching Effects of Major Eruptions

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When the volcano Tambora erupted in Indonesia in 1815, as many as 100,000 people perished as a result of the blast and an ensuing famine caused by the destruction of rice fields on Sumbawa and neighboring islands. Gases and dust particles ejected into the atmosphere changed weather patterns around the world, resulting in the infamous ''year without a summer'' in North Amer ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Princeton University Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Volcanoes in Human History, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Volcanoes in Human History

Amy Raby
I read this for research. This book is a mix of science and history. Each chapter covers a major volcanic eruption in human history, from Thera, which destroyed the Minoan civilization and allowed the Greeks to rise up in their place, to Vesuvius, to Mt. St. Helens. Hawaii and Iceland, regions of high volcanic activity, are also discussed.

Each chapter covers both the science of what makes a particular region volcanically active--which tectonic plates are at work and how--and what type of eruptio
Rick
This was the equivalent of an impulse purchase done at the library.
It was a good one. Just the right amount of details of these volcanic disasters from Thera to Mt. St. Helens. Tidbits: Tambora in 1815 was far more powerful than the later Krakatau in the same area of the world. Many of the tragic deaths from Mount Pelee were avoidable. The authors brought out the humanity of these tectonic-prompted blasts. Maps, drawings, photos were all helpful. Nicely done.
Julien Rapp
I read this book at the same time as Earthquakes in Human History. They are a good set and I reccommend both to anyone interested in how geological forces helped shape our history.
james
I recommend this book since it combines science and story telling in a coherent manner. The reader learns about the effects of volcanoes on the lives of people both near and far. For example, the eruption of Tambora (in present day Indonesia) caused immediate death & destruction to those living nearby. But the aftermath was even worse as Tambora spewed so much volcanic ash and debris into the atmosphere that there was an immediate global cooing to such a degree that the following year was kn ...more
Jen
So with a) my rediscovery of the local libraries and b) my having to sit still 1/2 hour a day...(don't ask)...I've been reading more...

Loved this book. Volcanoes are just cool and this book went through 8 significant (though sometimes not sizable) eruptions, including one on Tristan da Cunha, which is this teeny island in the middle of the Atlantic...barely inhabited.

It's just a fun exploration backed up with some serious science about how each volcanic eruption had long last effects on the hist
Renee
This book was perfect for my research purposes. Now only does it cover nine famous--and very different--eruptions, throughtout the course of human history, but it also went over how each one affected the people, both locally and across the globe, both before, during and AFTER the event. I absolutely LOVED this book, for the human equation. It is a graphic reminder that, no matter how full of ourselves we get, Mother Nature will always have the upper hand!
Peter
Like its sequel Earthquakes in Human History, which I've reviewed in more detail, this book focuses very heavily on the geological end of its topic while covering the "human history" part of the matter rather cursorily. There are some interesting sections and snippets, but overall I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I had hoped.
Nancy
This is my favorite kind of academic press book - one with an interesting story that is tightly written and well-conceived. It gives a decent chapter's space to 9 different volcanic eruptions or regions and ties them to long range effects. Interesting stuff.
Sheila
The other books I have on volcanoes deal with volcanoes in general, plate tectonics, etc. This one deal with 10 specific volcanoes and their far-reaching effects on the world and its people.
Daniel
Interesting, covers several past and present large Volcanoes...and makes one wonder
What another Tambor or such might do to a world like ours..

eseki
eseki marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Eden
Eden added it
Jan 25, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Julian Beckfofd
Julian Beckfofd marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Jenn West
Jenn West marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Nichole
Nichole marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Earthquakes in Human History: The Far-Reaching Effects of Seismic Disruptions Stories in Stone: How Geology Influenced Connecticut History and Culture New Haven's Sentinels: The Art and Science of East Rock and West Rock