Start by marking “Answer to Job: (From Vol. 11 of the Collected Works of C. G. Jung)” as Want to Read:
Answer to Job: (From Vol. 11 of the Collected Works of C. G. Jung)

Answer to Job: (From Vol. 11 of the Collected Works of C. G. Jung)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  566 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Considered one of Jung's most controversial works, "Answer to Job" also stands as Jung's most extensive commentary on a biblical text. Here, he confronts the story of the man who challenged God, the man who experienced hell on earth and still did not reject his faith. Job's journey parallels Jung's own experience--as reported in "The Red Book: Liber Novus"--of descending i ...more
Published January 12th 2012 by Princeton University Press (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Answer to Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Answer to Job

Billy
Aug 31, 2008 Billy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psychology/Philosophy buffs, confused Christians.
Recommended to Billy by: Professor
First off, I'm a Freudian. So whenever I pick up anything written by Jung it is always with a sense of reluctance. His work is both the furthest departure from his great mentor (Freud himself), and at the same time completely saturated with Freudian Thought.

The last and by far most controversial work by the master's star pupil, this book is at times a breathless read and at others a walk through a swamp. For all of his brilliant insight Dr. Jung was, in my opinion, limited at least to a small d
max
Nov 30, 2008 max rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kierkegaard fans
Recommended to max by: Dad
Shelves: library
In Jung's dense and wild meditation on Christianity, published nine years before his death, he seeks some lofty antecedents, but lets his fast and loose language of archetype cover for some questionable footwork.

Jung clearly built his book as an homage to Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling, substituting the philosopher's exegesis of Isaac and Abraham for an inquiry into the nature of Job. For Kierkegaard, several Rashoman-like retellings of the story eventually yield to furious, brooding analysis
Jon Ungerland
Jul 30, 2007 Jon Ungerland rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christians, please god
this book challenges any christian to examine our somewhat naive concept of the shadow of god, and encourages us to reach past our all-too-often childish understanding of salvation.
Jason
Job is the most beautifully written book in the bible, period. It's more prose than anything else. Jung's Answer to Job's cry of 'Why' is amazing. Jung believed in God, which is pretty amazing when considering the stance of most of his contemporaries. His answer to the ultimate question of suffering is worthy of anyone's time, believer or not.
Rob the Obscure
(chuckle....smile....expel air) wow.....
Bryce Maxwell
Jung dives into a commentary on biblical subjects throughout this one... Crucial to the evolution of Yahweh (or the God-Concept in general), the story of Job challenges the omniscience and loving nature of God. In order to “complete” the divine drama and "compensate" for the wrong that Yahweh has caused Job - God becomes man in Jesus.

From there, Jung looks into the book of Revelations. Most interesting is when Jung explains the motive and reason behind John's revelation with psychological perspe
Tony Fike
Carl Jung asks and answer many important, anthropological questions that Job might have asked. Like what did I your faithful servant do. From a purely human viewpoint Carl trys to resolve and accept the dual nature of God. Light and Dark, Love and Justice, Creation and the death and destruction awaiting us in revelation. Heck what about Japan's Tsunammi? How can God let that happen.

To that I say this:

Job is a story in the Bible, probalby written as a result of a dream that occured to a mystic. I
David
This work puts the old testament biblical god under the psychiatrist's microscope. Carl Jung doesn't concern himself with the truth or non-truth of biblical events and nor does he see that as important. Jung concerns himself with the truth or reality of the psyche itself freeing himself up to just focus on the functional structure and patterns of mythology (be it traditional myth or just scriptural accounts whose devotees would take offense to being lumped into the mythological category).

Jung o
John
Wow. A 108 page pyscho-social analysis from both the individual and society levels of the bible—meaning the Old and New Testaments. This book uses the Story of Job in the Old Testament as the event after which man and God’s relationship was forever altered and required Jesus to become incarnate.

This was a fascinating, but super dense read. It rang more as more authentically Christian than well, mainstream Christianity. This story is much more compassionate, self-sacrificial and self-esteem imbui
علی
A beautiful interpretation of Job in the Bible, hermenotique, structural and semiological

پاسخ به ایوب، نگاه یونگ به داستان ایوب در عهد عتیق است، و آنچه میان او و خدا رفته است. نگاهی ست روانشناختی، در عین حال واقع بینانه. یونگ در انسان و سمبول هایش می گوید؛ چیزی که وجود نداشته باشد، نمی میرد. اگر خدا نبود، نیچه مرگ او را اعلام نمی کرد. با این همه یونگ تاکید می کند که اشتباه محض است اگر این اظهار نظر او به عنوان اعتقاد به "وجود خدا" و تایید مذهب قلمداد شود. او وجود خدا را در تفکر انسان بررسی کرده
Joab Cohen
Neat Book Review #15 Answer to Job by C.G. Jung

Plot summary
In this book Jung attempts to explain God's vicious, immoral behavior towards Job, his finest and most loyal servant, by understanding it as a change in the relationship between God and man. Half the book deals with this change which, according to Jungian theory, is actually a most significant change in the relationship between consciousness (man) and the unconscious (God). Jung argues that Job proves man's moral superiority over God, wh
Jim
Not an easy book to read, as Jung was overfond of technical terms such as "chthonic" and "quaternity." Still, after having encountered the Old Testament God in the Book of Job, I was greatly disturbed by His capriciousness and even amorality. Jung helped explain how the misbehavior of Yahweh led eventually to Christianity.
Lazarus
Reading Jung's Answer to Job enlivened an otherwise boring day for me. One would assume from the title that the text would be primarily about the Book of Job, but a great deal of Jung's analysis extends through the entire Old and New Testaments, becoming something of a whirlwind biblical exegesis. Jung conceives of God as a personality; one that was originally capricious and infantile on account of its unreflective omnipotence and omniscience and had to be gradually enlightened by its interactio ...more
Natylie Baldwin
A very original and intriguing look at the story of Job, its ramifications and relationship to Christianity.
Beka Sukhitashvili
ჩემი არაცნობიერი უკიდურეს სტრესში იმყოფება აღფრთოვანებისგან და იუნგის ნაფიქრისგან!
Without going too far into the problems (numerous) I had with the book on a solely theological level, I'll just say I wasn't a fan. Clearly, as another reviewer pointed out, there was a nod to what Kierkegaard (masterfully) did in 'Fear and Trembling.' However, while I was fine with the conclusions that Kierkegaard pointed to there, I felt Jung was playing in a sandbox in which he had no business playing here. I love philosophy, psychology, and theology, and at times two or even all three of the ...more
Erik Graff
Jun 16, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of Job
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: psychology
The Book of Job is one of the more interesting works in the Hebrew canon. It is also one of the few books there taken from a non-Hebrew tradition.

In Job, a conventionally good and accomplished man has his faith tested by God and his assistant, Satan, working in concert to systematically destroy everything of value. According to many scholars, the "happy" ending found in modern bibles may not be original. God, in this version, is the Whirlwind.

Jung, naturally, liked Job because it fit readily int
Andrew Simmons
Interesting, and I am always eager to read a commentary on the Book of Job. Alas, the ideas in this text could've used a lot more structure in how it all ties to Job .
Andrew Krupnicki
No comment of mine could even begin to describe the importance of this book. Perhaps the greatest biblical exegesis of all time; at the very least, the most original. Religion, in its Judeo-Christian form, has been forever altered by Jung.
Alessandro
Very interesting take on Job and the Christian Bible in general. In this book, Jung essentially psychoanalyzes God and reveals Him to be a deeply pathological personality. Jung's approach to religion is one of psychological phenomenology. The question of the literal existence of God is entirely beside the point in this discussion. Rather, Jung is interested in what this text has to say about the Christian psyche. And for that reason, it is worth reading if you happen to live in the Western world ...more
Alethea Hammer
This book was a great comfort to me when I first read it because prior to that I thought I was the only person who reacted that way to the story of Job.
Keith Wilson
God is to Job, as The Unconscious is to the Conscious.
What was God's answer to Job? It's what the sea said to the storm tossed mariner: "I am big."

Greenish
This is probably the single most important lay-man read on the nature of God. When asked did Jung believe in God, he replied, 'I do not need to believe, I know'. Jung has been discounted by those that found this intolerable truth too much for their flimsy subjective material minds, but for those that dare tread upon the path created by Jung's life and work, it is probably the most important statement ever made.

It is only a shame that the majority of modern day Jungian analysts do nor have a clue
Katrinka
It's sometimes difficult to tell where Jung stands, vis-à-vis historical/biblical scholarship (even though, admittedly, that's not his focus at all).
David Johnson
The Book of Job has always troubled me a little. In Answer to Job, Jung questions how Christians reconcile their view of God with the arguably dark and flawed character who authorizes Job's torment. While I disagree with many of his conclusions, I find the question presented to be provoking, even if I have no conclusions of my own other than those of faith.

I am re-reading this because, honestly, I probably only understood 15 to 20 percent of it the last time I read it.
Sam
Aug 23, 2007 Sam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians with a dark side
It can be agonizing to read, and the last third gets too preposterous (well, the whole thing is preposterous), but I know no better shock to a one-sided (i.e. one-dimensionally "good") perception of oneself and God. Jung is very sarcastic and irreverent -- he intended the work to be a subjective, visceral response to the "shadow" side of God that he sees in the Book of Job. Whatever you think about Jung's rantings, it is a challenge to stagnant, sterile forms of religiousity.
Daniel
I would give this book 5 stars, but for Jung's sometime seeming haphazard style.

The Book of Job remains a challenge to any Jewish or Christian believer. Jung uses this as a starting off point to elucidate his theory of the truth of religious belief and the need for some tempering influence. It is a book which lends itself to discussion. Well worth your time, providing insight into Jung's ideas and asking questions about Jewish and Christian ideas about the Creator.
Brad Harkins
Second time I've read this. The bible is definitely a strange book. I liked it. Jung is a smart fellow and his interpretations...I trust. Does Job achieve a higher knowledge than God, is this the reason God had to make himself flesh and blood (Jesus)? You decide. I read this book mostly for personal reasons...but find the stories of the bible and the interpretations of them pretty fascinating at times. You too? Then I'd recommend.
Adam
Jung tackles quite a lot more than Job in this short by dense work, turning a lifetime of psychological evaluation to God. The question of God's treatment of Job, the role of Satan, the need for the Incarnation and Crucifixion, and even the reason for dogma of the Assumption of Mary and the Protestant reaction. Food for thought particularly for Christians but also for anyone wondering about what these stories can mean to modern man.
A
Honestly, I found this book a bit of a mess (especially after he dives into the Book of Revelation) but because I found his argument rather novel and compelling, 4 stars seems quite fair. I like the interpretation of Christ as God's effort to come down to our level and self-reflect in a way he can't do in Job, although this is probably best read/understood in context of Jung's system as a whole.
  • The Freud/Jung Letters
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
  • The Greeks and the Irrational
  • The Gnostic Jung and the Seven Sermons to the Dead
  • Sexism and God Talk: Toward a Feminist Theology
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]; 26 July 1875 – 6 June 1961), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, ...more
More about C.G. Jung...
Memories, Dreams, Reflections Man and His Symbols The Undiscovered Self Modern Man in Search of a Soul The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)