Start by marking “Secular Cycles” as Want to Read:
Secular Cycles

Secular Cycles

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Many historical processes exhibit recurrent patterns of change. Century-long periods of population expansion come before long periods of stagnation and decline; the dynamics of prices mirror population oscillations; and states go through strong expansionist phases followed by periods of state failure, endemic sociopolitical instability, and territorial loss. Peter Turchin ...more
Published July 20th 2009 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Secular Cycles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secular Cycles

Keith Akers
Aug 09, 2013 Keith Akers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an absolutely great book, clearly of interest to anyone who is concerned about things like the collapse of civilizations, and specifically the possible collapse of our civilization. And it was published in 2009, and I'm only finding out about it, and reading it, now! I found out about it through Gail Tverberg's blog, "Our Finite World," and I hope it finds a wide readership. But a word of warning: this book is not for the faint of heart. You've got to love the subject or you'll never mak ...more
Stephen
Apr 03, 2014 Stephen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book exemplifies my type of futures - a grand sweep of human history, a causal model, and a dynamic framework from which we can view our present lives. The first chapter outlines the model and is followed by eight turns of the cycle, two per chosen country. The final chapter draws together the evidence and the model.

I found the model to be quite interesting. It seems to be based on two perspectives of history. One is the Malthusian, where history can be described as a series of cycles where
Odhran
Feb 08, 2014 Odhran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Very interesting book. Outlines a theory of history which explains a significant proportion of historical change in agrarian societies. It's a very interesting approach, and one which I think will provide extremely interesting insights into history and, potentially, the future.

Some minor issues with typos, and some of the history strikes me as potentially a little weak, but those are very minor issues when compared with the overall work.
Stefan
Jun 12, 2016 Stefan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well documented validation of a very interesting theory.
Fred R
Jan 14, 2012 Fred R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are still some very basic questions (how do you define "the elite"? What determines the number of "elite aspirants"? Is the model applicable to a post-agricultural economy? If so, what are we really talking about? People's ability to marshal enough resources to reproduce themselves biologically and economically?) that remain to be answered, but all in all I'm just a huge fan of this neo-Malthusian "structural-demographic" theory.
David Lopez
Dec 11, 2015 David Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend reading war and peace and war instead of this one, this goes into much much more details but unless you know the math and are really that skeptical the same concept gets a worthy write up in his other book. Still very good and more of the same which is why I read it, but unless you really want more history from this perspective the same concept is done just fine in war and peace and war.
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Edwin Jain
Edwin Jain marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Henri
Henri added it
Aug 15, 2016
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Bookleech
Bookleech rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Pieter
Pieter marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Veeraragavan Nandakumar
Veeraragavan Nandakumar marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Ather
Ather marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Cleon
Cleon marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Emilia
Emilia marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Tess Babcock
Tess Babcock marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Kerem Yıldırım
Kerem Yıldırım rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Jonathan Rolfsen
Jonathan Rolfsen marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
George
George added it
Jun 07, 2016
Josh Lipson
Josh Lipson marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Elijah Wallace
Elijah Wallace rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Mark Gently
Mark Gently marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Jukka Aakula
Jukka Aakula rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Meghan W
Meghan W marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016