Start by marking “Sanctuary: The Story of Naturalist Mary Majka” as Want to Read:
Sanctuary: The Story of Naturalist Mary Majka

Sanctuary: The Story of Naturalist Mary Majka

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  11 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Mary Majka is one of Canada's great pioneering environmentalists. She is best known as a television host, a conservationist, and driving force behind the internationally acclaimed Marys Point Western Hemispheric Shorebird Reserve on the Bay of Fundy.
Sanctuary gives full expression to the intensely personal story of Mary's life. A daughter of privilege, a survivor of World
Published May 31st 2011 by Goose Lane Editions (first published September 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctuary

Jenn Shelby
I picked up this book because I have met the author on several occasions, only to discover that I was almost loathe to read it for that very reason - what if I didn't like it?? Happily, this was not the case.

"Sanctuary" captured my attention and held it, inducing one of the greater book hang-overs that I have ever suffered. Although the subject of this book, the late Mary Majka, is something of a local celebrity, I had somehow never become acquainted with her by name. Her conservation work, on
Wendell Hennan
A well written book chronicling the life of Mary Majka in chronological order which I prefer. A very interesting woman who lived a full and amazing life impacting the world surrounding her in very positive ways. A humanitarian, respectful of others, a conservationist, an environmentalist and a teacher and mother to many who had the fortune to cross her path. A wonderful read of a live well lived. RIP Mary.
Marion
The subject matter was inspirational and fascinating. I thought the book missed an opportunity to draw us into the emotion and passion more but her descriptions were beautiful.
Rhonda Bulmer
Thorough and intimate biography. Interesting for those interested in environmentalism, and in post WWII immigration to Canada.
Stephanie
Im enjoying this quite abit.....Recommended by a gardener friend in New Brunswick, Canada....The story of pioneer Canadien naturalist Mary Majka who endures great hardship and political strife to emerge as one of Canada;s greatest environmentalists....She was the driving force behind the creation of Mary's Point Shorebird Reserve on the Bay of Fundy...I had never heard of her in the States...Why is the work of so many women scientists and naturalists unknown?....What a triumph of the spirit.
Relyn
Jun 26, 2011 Relyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biography and nature lovers, for a start
Recommended to Relyn by: Deborah Carr
I am so excited to be reading this book by my blogger-friend, Deborah!

I'll be featuring this book on my blog next week. Check there for a giveaway, too.
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Jolabrese
Jolabrese marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2012
Brenda
Brenda added it
May 13, 2011
J
J marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2012
More about Deborah Carr...