Start by marking “Be an Island: The Buddhist Practice of Inner Peace” as Want to Read:
Be an Island: The Buddhist Practice of Inner Peace

Be an Island: The Buddhist Practice of Inner Peace

From the best-selling author of Being Nobody, Going Nowhere, Ayya Khema's Be an Island guides us along the path of Buddhist meditation with direct and practical advice, giving us contemplative tools to develop a healthy sense of personal being. Be an Island is at once an introduction to the teachings of Buddhism and a rich continuation of Ayya Khema's personal vision of Bu ...more
Published March 1st 1999 by Wisdom Publications

To ask other readers questions about Be an Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be an Island

Leslie

This book was more like a 4.5 for me. I enjoyed it enough and found the applications so practical and memorable that I got online and bought 2 other books of hers. She has also included a glossary at the back if you struggle with remembering what the different Buddhist terms mean.

This book deals with how to recognize how our thoughts can be the creation of the problem, how we need to be alert to these thoughts or they run rampant without our managing them and how we can let go and find that pea
Rochelle
Jun 04, 2011 Rochelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, probably only book one needs on the nuts and bolts of a spiritual practice. It will get you to square one, point in the right direction, though as some have said (and I agree) she is somewhat rigid in her thinking, probably a product of her discipline and the method of practice she inherited from her teacher. It is a clearly written book and an essential to the practitioner.
Dana Larose
Apr 10, 2016 Dana Larose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed all of Ayya Khema's books so far, and at the moment this one might be my favourite. I feel like it's the simplest and most relevant for Buddhist noobs. Each chapter is quite short, so it would be easy to read one before a meditation session or in the morning to set the tone for your day.

Ayya's tone and writing is plain and direct. I get the impression she must have been like a stern, no-nonsense but caring grandmother :)
Philosopherdog
Jan 31, 2015 Philosopherdog rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this little book. Such succinct teachings by one of the great teachers.
Mariana
It took me a while to get used to her jargon and her use of Pali rather than Sanskrit.
Tera
Mar 08, 2014 Tera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Life changing!!! Love <3 Ayya Khema
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Bonny
Bonny marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Lairg
Lairg rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Naveed Ghannad
Naveed Ghannad marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Jim Stevens
Jim Stevens rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Angela Marie
Angela Marie marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Huong
Huong rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Kevin Manders
Kevin Manders marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Elizabeth Kosich
Elizabeth Kosich marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Celia Schwarz
Celia Schwarz rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Ken Jeremiah
Ken Jeremiah rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Marilyn Saretsky
Marilyn Saretsky is currently reading it
Jan 16, 2016
Em
Em rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Guido Smeersma
Guido Smeersma is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2015
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Scott Jenkins
Scott Jenkins marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015