Duck to the Rescue

Duck to the Rescue

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Greenstalks have the cleverest animals around.

When something goes wrong on the farm,someone is always readyto jump in, and this time Ernie the duck is determined to help out. But no matter how hard he tries, nothing goes quite right. It takes the clever trick of a kind little lamb for Ernie to finally get his chance to come to the rescue!...more
Published February 18th 2014 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (first published September 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Duck to the Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck to the Rescue

Tima
Ernie the duck wants to help the farmer with his work. But every time that duck comes to the rescue someone ends up helping duck instead. Poor little Ernie begins to feel sad that he can't help or rescue anyone. So lamb helps Ernie feel special again by helping him come to lamb's rescue.

Children and adults alike will delight in the beautifully illustrated book about duck's adventures. The illustrations are bright and colorful and tell half of the story. The words fit well with the illustrations...more
Barbara
Ernie the Duck means well. Whenever something needs to be done on the Greenstalk farm, he tries to help out. But despite his best intentions, things never work out right, and Ernie causes more trouble than he's worth. The illustrations, created with black Prismacolor pencils and watercolors, will surely elicit a chortle or two from young readers at his mishaps. My favorite illustration shows him wrapped in a net and being attacked by a pirate band of fluffy yellow chicks as he gives their mother...more
Mary
Young kids will enjoy this book about an inept duck. The illustrations depicting the duck failing at his rescues are funny, especially the one of him being rescued from the loft by a calf and the one of him wrapped in chicken wire surrounded by pirate chicks. The sweet (literally and figuratively) ending is kind of abrupt, but it doesn't take away from the humor of the rest of the book.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
If you are familiar with "the Rescue" books by Himmelman, you'll enjoy his newest title. The biggest difference between Duck's story and other stories in the series, is that Duck is alone. The other animals always went to the rescue in groups. This book could be used to share a one-on-one moment with a little one or in a group setting.

Reviewed from a library copy.
Jan Polep
Ernie the Duck is the latest Greenstalk farm animal to star in this picture book series for the Pre-school-Grade 1 crowd. Ernie needs to be rescued after every attempt to rescue others, but kids will love the humor in his attempts, the funny pictures, and chanting, "Duck to the Rescue"! Now I need to find the other books... Chickens, Cows, and Pigs to the Rescue!
Stella Fowler
The Greenstalk farm animals are at it again. And oh, poor Ernie the duck! He tries so hard, but is just about as helpful as those pigs were.

If you're a fan of Himmelman's other animals to the rescue, I have no doubt that you'll like this one. Personally, I can't wait to get it home to my 6 year old who will LOVE it.
Shelli
Farmer Greenstalk is blessed and cursed with the world’s most helpful farm animals. Each book in this comical series shows the Greenstalk’s homestead is alive with activity and well-meaning yet often inadequate helpers; in Duck to the Rescue Duck shows he is no chicken. Kids will LOVE this entire collection!
Ashley
Bright colorful pictures and a very cute story. Duck keeps trying to help but something always seems to go wrong. Lamb sees all the things going wrong through the week and on Sunday he hides two cupcakes and leaves a trail. Duck finds them and they share them.

Very Very cute and a few good lessons.
I love Ernie. He's been such a silly character in the others in this series by Himmelman. Pigs to the Rescue will always be my favorite. In this one, sometimes Ernie messes up, but sometimes he does some good. I really enjoyed the ending of this one. Hopefully we have a, "Lamb to the Rescue" in the future!
Jessica
I like this book simply because if ANYONE EVER lost pastries...I would find them.

I would always need to be rescued----but in the case of missing cupcakes:

gothis

Rachel
Ernie the Duck means well, but he's not that great at helping. (Though the page of him trying to babysit the pirate chicks for the chickens may be one of my favorites in the whole series. I think the Cows are still my favorite, but Ernie holds his own as well. 3.5 starst
Naomi
Meh! Cute, but not really a stand out book. The illustrations were cuter than the actual story. Maybe an early grade schooler would find it humorous, but I just don't see it.
Jen
super cute book about always wanting to help but being the one that really needs rescued. lots of humor. friendly ending. short enough for toddlers.
Paige Y.
Duck is constantly coming to the rescue, but he's more of a hindrance than a help. A cute book to use with preschoolers.
Rachel
Duck gets into a lot of trouble when he tries to help out, but his heart is in the right place. Fun story with a good message.
Proud Book Nerd
This is a cute, silly story that my children enjoyed.

More: http://proudbooknerd.com/2014/02/08/r...
Kendra
Oh poor duck, he tries so hard. I like that his family is appreciative without lying to him about his talents. ;)
L.
Cute story of how a duck "rescues" several situations through the week--mostly not really, but sometimes...yes.
Elizabeth
Fun. Poor duck keeps trying to help, but makes bigger messes. Might be a great story for 3 year olds. :D
Storytime Lexie
If you're going to read a book in this series, pick Chickens to the Rescue for sure.
Amanda
Cute tale of a duck who tries to help - even though it rarely goes well.
Sharon Lawler
Now that the pigs and the cows have rescued everything, it is the ducks' turn.
Brindi
cute, feel-good, humorous picture book for farm or animals (ducks)
Danica Midlil
Poor duck. He tries so hard and has the best of intentions!
Briony
Maybe not as funny as its predecessors, but I liked the message.
Sharlene
Cute/Easy read aloud/Funny/Great illustrations/repeatable
Monica Williams
I think duck might need saving from himself.
Edward Sullivan
A Daffy-on-the-spot in all sorts of emergencies.
Whitney
Cute, but not as funny as Chickens to the Rescue.
Maia
Too subtle humour for my crowd.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
John Himmelman is the author and illustrator of more than sixty books for children, including Chickens to the Rescue. He lives in Connecticut with his family.

According John's Facebook page, he has been "making up stories and scribbling pictures since I could hold a crayon in my hand. It became my job in 1981, when my first book, "Talester the Lizard" was published during my last year in college (S...more
More about John Himmelman...
Chickens to the Rescue Katie Loves the Kittens Pigs to the Rescue Cows to the Rescue Katie and the Puppy Next Door