Start by marking “The White Umbrella Sampler: Walking with Survivors of Sex Trafficking” as Want to Read:
The White Umbrella Sampler: Walking with Survivors of Sex Trafficking

The White Umbrella Sampler: Walking with Survivors of Sex Trafficking

Enjoy these SAMPLE pages from The White Umbrella-

Sex trafficking.We hear about it on the news and in special interest stories from around the world, but it occurs daily in communities all around us. Thousands of young women are forced into sexual exploitation annually. "The White Umbrella" tells stories of survivors and of the ones who came alongside to help them to recove
Published September 1st 2012 by Moody Publishers

Faith
Feb 04, 2014 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
America just celebrated the 2014 Superbowl.
The lead up the the Big Game included all the usual: discount prices on favorite game-watching snacks, lots of beer purchases, and some people even went out and updated their Tv so they could view the game with the best clarity possible.
Another part of the lead up to the game was not so light-hearted. Law enforcement in the area around the featured stadium prepped for prostitution stings, and articles were published in the Huffington Post, explaining
Staci
Sep 14, 2016 Staci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
The White Umbrella provides a glimpse of one organization that assists survivors of sex trafficking. Without question this is a horrid industry and the impacts on those involved are profound.

The author shares ways that anyone can be involved and make a positive impact. In each chapter a different method of involvement is shared and through that the reader meets some of the young women that have been a part of Wellspring in Georgia.

While some of the details were difficult to read, The White Umbr
Amy Kannel
This book is less about the realities of sex trafficking and the personal experiences of victims, and more focused on one particular ministry (Wellspring Living in Atlanta). Many of the stories weren't even about sex trafficking at all, but rather about women suffering from other forms of abuse and self-destructive behaviors. It was somewhat inspiring and hopeful, but not what I expected--not really the book to pick up if you are looking to better understand human trafficking.
Yolandi
Apr 30, 2013 Yolandi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book took me forever to read!! I was under the impression that its about sex trafficking survivors, their experiences, how they ended up in the situations, what happened to them, how they got out, ect, but 85% of the book were about other people at the clinic telling how they help survivors. I almost fell asleep reading the book. Maybe its just me who misunderstood the title of this book.
Leah Good
The White Umbrella is the memoir of a not-for-profit ministry in Georgia. It's the story of a band of women who told God they wanted to help vulnerable girls and let Him use them to create something bigger than they imagined.

Each chapter explores a different facet of ministering to victims of childhood sexual abuse or survivors of sex trafficking. Everything from teaching math, to helping a girl acknowledge that her past was abusive, to walking through legal battles to bring perpetrators to just
Barnabas Piper
Sep 17, 2012 Barnabas Piper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a powerful book. Sex Trafficking has gained a ton of interest in the news, especially world wide, but two areas often get overlooked: domestic sex trafficking and what is done to help the victims after they are rescued. This book emphasizes both. And it is striking.

The stories of girls who have been through the hell of sexual abuse and sex trafficking are heart wrenching. And the stories of people coming along side to walk with them through the restoration process are equally as moving.
Amanda Strnad
WOW! A must read for every American, especially Believers! The White Umbrella will open your eyes to the heart wrenching injustice occurring in our own backyard. A call to awareness and an example of faith at work, The White Umbrella will inspire you to action today.
Jamie
May 16, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the hardest book I’ve ever read. I cried every chapter. I was heartbroken for the girls who suffered unimaginable pain at the hands of monsters, for I have no other word to describe them.

The statistics are sickening.

In the US “one out of every four girls is sexually abused before the age of eighteen. For boys, the number is one out of six.” FBI reports in the US, over 100,000 children are forced into sex trafficking. They age range runs from 9 to 9, with an average age of 11.

Disgusting
Joan
This book centers on the founding and work of Wellspring Living, a Christian based organization which provides rescue, ministry and on-going support for women who are victims of human trafficking. This book is filled with personal stories and testimonies of how God has worked within the lives of Wellspring's founders, volunteers, and the women who have received rescue. Each chapter is well written, with scripture and personal narratives to make the stories relevant and inspirational.

My only cri
Sue Jackson
This is one of those books that is difficult to review. The topic of sex trafficking is powerful and it is a topic that needs to be discussed. So, on that level this is a good, well researched book. It makes the reader aware that this occurs not only in foreign countries but also in the U.S. This book tries to explain how girls/women become victims of sex trafficking then become victims again when the police and law enforcement get involved.

Unfortunately, this book isn't really about just sex tr
Valerie
May 09, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only reason I didn't give this book five stars was that it was a little too "churchy" for me. However, other readers may be comforted by that while reading about an uncomfortable topic. I'm interested in learning about and pushing for legislation that fights all human trafficking, not just the sex trade side of it. This isn't that kind of book, but what I can take away from it is A) there ARE survivors [*HOPE*] and B) perspective from humanized accounts. I can appreciate the courage it took ...more
J
Oct 02, 2014 J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book on learning about how to support survivors of sex trafficking as well as the organizations that work so hard to help the survivors. Really opened my eyes to get an inside look at what these brave women face.
Natalie Bullis
Oct 11, 2013 Natalie Bullis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read on this topic. It gives you tangible ways to walk with survivors of sex trafficking and those of sexual abuse.
Aida
Nov 15, 2016 Aida rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book to be more concerned about sex trafficking and how does it affects to these girls. The book starts with, I think, a great beginning, that gets you right into the book, it tells you what is going to be about and how hard is going to be. It talks a lot about God and Catholicism, which I don't really stand for. That's probably why I didn't "enjoy" and "understand" that much this book. I think that people have their own opinions and you don't really need to talk all the time ab ...more
Adrienne Early
Feb 12, 2017 Adrienne Early rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is WOW. This book will stir your heart and inspire you to get involved in the fight against sex trafficking. Your heart will break as you read stories of the girls who go through Wellspring Living's program. The things they have endured are painful to hear, but Mary Frances Bowley encourages you to listen and act. Her passion for these broken women is evident, and her love for them seems to grow more as you read through the book.
Julie Robinson lawrence
Skimmed most of it. It wasn't what I thought. I wanted to learn more about the sex/human trafficking industry but it was more stories about the staff at Wellspring and how they help victims of many forms of abuse and addiction. I commend them for what they're doing, but that's not what I was interesting in reading about.
Shannon Greene
Nov 23, 2016 Shannon Greene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-book-club
I appreciated that this book took a holistic approach to helping victims of sexual abuse and sex trafficking. It covered a variety of aspects of healing and restoration including education, the legal process, therapy, spiritual renewal, and teaching life skills.
Jeanne
Feb 18, 2017 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book on United Methodist Women reading list. Was on the 2016 list under Social Action. Very enlightening. Told ways that all people can help end sex trafficking.
Michelle
Apr 10, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
The White Umbrella by Mary Frances Bowley is a remarkable book that tells the stories of girls who have been forced into the world of sex trafficking. Wow. Incredible book and a must read. Mary does not sugar coat these girls lives and what they have gone through. This is not fiction, 1 in 4 girls is sexually abused before they are 18!! These girls are not only in some far off country, sex trafficking and abuse is happening closer than you realize. 1 in 6 boys is sexually abused before they are ...more
Raechel
May 28, 2014 Raechel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one that you're sure not to forget. And one that should definitely be read by anyone who is considering working with (or even praying for) survivors of the sex-trafficking terror.
It gave me such a better view into what the girls and women go through *after* they are out of that slavery, and what you can do to help them.
It was very sad, too - I expected that. It is real-life accounts; some told by the women that went through it themselves.
This book is a gem. Wellspring Living Progr
Pathway Midland
Feb 02, 2013 Pathway Midland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
White Umbrella is a book about the very hot-button issue of sex-trafficking. This is a good to read if human slavery is something that is near and dear to your heart. The chapters tell stories of those who have survived sex-trafficking as well as those who are involved in helping to minister to those impacted. It is challenging because it tells stories of "regular" people like you and I who are using the gifts that God has given them to go out and make a difference. The testimonies were so awes ...more
Phyllis
I read this book as part of the United Methodist Women's Reading Program. The title White Umbrella, was chosen for white signifying purity and umbrella to provide support or security. The various chapters of the book tell stories of young girls who suffer from sexual abuse and receive support from the Atlanta based Well Spring living program. The book serves as a useful tool for other organizations wishing to establish or already have established support groups for sexually abused girls regardle ...more
Susan Norris
Oct 14, 2012 Susan Norris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had the pleasure of getting to know Mary Frances Bowley over the past 2 1/2 years. I've respected her and her work for victims of human sex trafficking, but after reading The White Umbrella, her stock has gone up in my book. She is a true hero of the faith and a warrior for young girls like no other. She will inspire you, challenge you and empower you to get into the fight for our young girls. She shares how she went from former elementary school teacher to her present work and how He str ...more
Victoria
This was a lovely book about Wellspring Living located in GA, a facility to help women and girls out of sex trafficking. Throughout the book they describe women who came in and out of their walls filled with a past of deep pain. There is a lot of perspective from workers there and how they try to encourage everyone towards a future, mainly one that includes forgiveness from Christ and a way of hope for their lives. It was very lovely to learn how patient and how much love is shown to each and ev ...more
Aug 20, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
it certainly hits close to home, teaching teen girls. More than a few of the girls that I have taught likely have been victims of sexual abuse, and this book has helped me think about kids who have experience this, or other traumatizing circumstances. To some, the book may seem like propaganda with strong religious tones, but it has many inspiring stories, and it does make me want to learn more about the program.
Stephanie
Apr 24, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been personally involved in the fight against sex trafficking for the past 5 years. If you are passionate about this issue, this book is a must read. Mary Frances Bowley is an amazing woman - compassionate and gracious - but with a steel resolve to help elevate the victims of sex trafficking to a better life and be their champion.This book helps to answer some of the questions about why victims of exploitation sometimes react the way they do to opportunities to rehabilitate themselves.
Pam
Oct 30, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because several of my friends are involved in anti-sex trafficking and I was curious about the topic. This book was about ministry and God's necessary involvement in healing and success. That really shouldn't have caught me off guard, but it did. I was expecting more sex trafficking stories. But this book still spoke an incredible amount of light into my life. I really enjoyed reading it.
Jenna
Dec 31, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was my first foray into non-fiction this year, and also my first (and so far, only) book read from my team’s recent titles. Short review: I learned. I cried. Slightly longer review: If you have even the slightest inkling of doubt that sex-trafficking is a pretty freaking big issue in the US, pick this up. Stories like this need to be told.

It slowed down for me quite a bit towards the end, but I found it worth finishing regardless. No questions as to why this is one of our better sellers.
Amanda Degler
Mar 30, 2013 Amanda Degler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I cannot say enough about this book. I have read tons of books and articles on human trafficking, but this was my favorite by far. The women at Wellspring Living are allowing God to do so much in a and through them. It is so great to see how God is working through this organization to bring restoration and hope to so many women. I highly recommend this book to any one who wants to know more about human trafficking and especially those working with victims of trafficking.
Carol Carmichael
Interesting true story of Wellspring Living, a Christian organization in the Atlanta area that serves girls and young women who are victims of sexual abuse, sex trafficking and drug addiction as seen through the eyes of its founders, teachers, therapists, and volunteers as well as some of those survivors who have been through the program. It is an amazing story.
  • Terrify No More : Young Girls Held Captive and the Daring Undercover Operation to Win Their Freedom
  • God in a Brothel: An Undercover Journey Into Sex Trafficking and Rescue
  • Somebody's Daughter: The Hidden Story of America's Prostituted Children and the Battle to Save Them
  • Sex Trafficking: Inside the Business of Modern Slavery
  • Fallen: Out of the Sex Industry & Into the Arms of the Savior
  • Sex Trafficking: The Global Market in Women and Children
  • Orphanology: Awakening to Gospel-Centered Adoption and Orphan Care
  • Saving Levi: Left to Die, Destined to Live
  • Orphan Justice: How to Care for Orphans Beyond Adopting
  • Passport through Darkness: A True Story of Danger and Second Chances
  • The Johns: Sex for Sale and the Men Who Buy It
  • Hearts of Fire: Eight Women in the Underground Church and Their Stories of Costly Faith
  • Glorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You Free
  • Infinitely More
  • Renting Lacy: A Story Of America's Prostituted Children (A Call to Action)
  • No Greater Love
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • Adopt Without Debt: Creative Ways To Cover The Cost Of Adoption

“One out of every four. I have repeated this statistic over and over and still cannot fathom the depth of what it really means. One out of every four girls is sexually abused before the age of eighteen. For boys, the number is one out of six.9 This means one out of every four women at the grocery store, at the bank, at the mall, in the pew at church, and everywhere in “normal” life have had this traumatic experience. For me as a teacher, this means that one out of every four of my precious eighth grade girls will, before they graduate from high school, become one of those victims.” 0 likes
“When people rally together to support a good cause, it shouts a second message to the community at large, that people can work unselfishly together if our eyes are on God and on those in need, rather than on our own advancement.” 0 likes