Start by marking “The Battle of New Orleans: Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory” as Want to Read:
The Battle of New Orleans: Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory

The Battle of New Orleans: Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The Battle of New Orleans was the climactic battle of America's "forgotten war" of 1812. Andrew Jackson led his ragtag corps of soldiers against 8,000 disciplined invading British regulars in a battle that delivered the British a humiliating military defeat. The victory solidified America's independence and marked the beginning of Jackson's rise to national prominence. Hai ...more
Published May 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Battle of New Orleans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle of New Orleans

John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnBattle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson
Best American History Books
316th out of 1,152 books — 1,591 voters
John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Best History Books
351st out of 1,673 books — 1,637 voters

More lists with this book...

'Aussie Rick'
This book's narrative is fast and snappy, the story is well told and presented in a way that it reads like a novel. The author, Robert V. Remini certainly loves this period of history and has a deep respect for Andrew Jackson, which shows throughout the book, maybe too much so. One of the previous reviewers mentioned the fact that the story was a bit too much like "good versus evil".

I found on occasions that the American forces could do no wrong while the British were blunderers. For example, t
Another great history-in-a-nutshell book which explains how Old Hickory ended up on the $20 bill. What's better than Kentuckians in Top Hats, pirates and citizen soldiers banding together with a beat up regular American Army to finally put the British in their place (a feat which even Napoleon could not accomplish)? Excellent.
The sort of history of battle you don't see much anymore: rousing and entertaining, full of brave deeds and long odds overcome. Huzzah indeed! Not much attention is paid to the causes of the war or its broader social context, and while that might have been of interest, frankly it is not much missed here. The focus is mostly on Andrew Jackson--Remini is a biographer of Jackson--and it works as a means to tell the story of the battle in a truncated and readable fashion. In the concluding chapter h ...more
In 1814, we took a little trip
Along with Colonel Jackson
Down the mighty Mississip.

It was supposed to be a slam dunk. With many veterans of Wellington's army, a Steve Jobs-like leader in General Pakenham, a mighty fleet of the world's greatest navy, and the best trained army of the Old World...the British should have destroyed the small American unit defending "Nawlins".

We took a little bacon
And we took a little beans
And we caught the bloody British
In a town in New Orleans.

But the Pommies did
Chris Leonowicz
The Battle of New Orleans Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory by Robert v. Remini was a tougher read. It was rich with historical information that at times could make it very boring. Although most of the book tended to be quite boring I did learn some new thing about that major battles Andrew Jackson fought in. Most of these battles I had only learned about through history class which did not take such an in depth look at them, so seeing all parts of these important battles and w ...more
Sean Chick
An error ridden and infantile account where stupid British gentlemen fighting a "clean and gentlemanly" war are defeated by Jackson and his dirty and practical frontiersmen. Jackson is the hero of the story (the author even chides us for no longer looking at him in a heroic light). So Jackson's more questionable decisions are not mentioned or if mentioned only briefly. I would laugh but I have seen historians in New Orleans peddling the same sort of bullshit.
David Nichols
This is a detailed and clearly written account of the Battle of New Orleans and the skirmishes that preceded and followed it. However, it does not place the battle into an larger historical context (e.g. race relations - free black soldiers and Indians fought on both sides - or Napoleonic-era tactics), which, combined with Remini's sometimes gag-inducing patriotism, makes this book less intellectually satisfying than it ought to be.
A quick popular history of the New Orleans campaign, generic to a fault. Nothing distinguishes this book; the style is brisk and chatty and the narrative quick and straightforward, but there is nothing remarkable here. To its detriment, the book also completely neglects the social and political ramifications of the battle, instead confining its scope to a straight record of events; something I find egregious in a history.
Bryan Reed
I found it to be a nice, concise history of the battle. The only thing I think that could make it better would be more and better maps. I found it very interesting how ahead of his time Jackson was in tactics. His defense of New Orleans was more akin to something later in the Civil war (as opposed to the Napoleonic tactics the Brits used as well as both sides at the beginning of the civil war.)
Greg Thiele
Remini has written a definitive and extremely readable account of the battle of New Orleans. He does a good job not only of describing the campaign that resulted in the clash of armies near New Orleans, but also places the battle in context as the first truly "American" victory.
David Campbell
A brilliant, colorful book on a battle that had more consequences for America than most people ever realize. Remini's book has been given high marks for great reasons, and you'll be done with this book before you know it!
An amazing short history of the Battle of New Orleans. Tells the rest of the story, espcially regarding the whole surrounding campaign.
Frederick Bingham
The story of the defense of New Orleans in the war of 1812. The british threatened to invade New Orleans, march up the Mississippi and cut the US in half. All that stood in their way was Andrew Jackson and his army of New Orleans militia, enlisted pirates, Tennessee and Kentucky frontiersmen and other irregular forces. The british fielded the most well-equipped, disciplined and seasoned army in the world at the time. Jackson used an amazing combination of aggressiveness, caution, and the Lousian ...more
Daniel Callister
Cool. I really didn't know much about this battle at all and after reading it I can't believe I don't remember learning about this in school. It was an incredible moment in American history.
This was a quick read for me. A straight forward book about the biggest battle of the War of 1812. I liked how all of the different factions, races, etc. came together to repel the British. A good example of how we can all come together.
This book filled in alot of holes in my knowledge of English/American relations. I really had little to zero knowledge about the war of 1812. I initially started this book because I moved to New Orleans and planned on going to the Chalmette Battlefield. It was very effective at going through the sequence of events that led to the Battle of New Orleans and it allows the reader to place it all in context. I did get alittle lost when the descriptions of the battle started, but I think its very diff ...more
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. A fast-paced read and enjoyable.
Brian Eshleman
This is mostly a military history. As I am more interested in character development both nationally and individually, it wasn't quite as satisfying as I had hoped. We do see Jackson's will imposed on the disparate people of New Orleans, and this is interesting. After his victory, we see this will as a picture of emerging national unity.
The greatest victory of America's second war of independence. This is the story of how Andrew Jackson lead a rag-tag band of "dirty shirts", pirates, frontiersmen, free men of color, and ordinary citizens to defeat the greatest army in the world.
I know very little of The War of 1812, and most of it from this slim volume. Remini is an historian worth pursuing.
I think I would like Remini's full biography of Jackson better. I'm putting it on my to-read list.
Richard Wright
Educational, which I guess is the purpose. But not always a pleasure to read.
Feb 09, 2010 Kevin is currently reading it
Sorry Jeff, I will send it back up to you in DC. How are things?
Robert Trombley
Robert Trombley marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Jackson Green
Jackson Green marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
English 11 Block ...: The battle of new orleans 4 10 Dec 05, 2012 05:34PM
  • The Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican War, 1846-1848
  • So Far from God: The U.S. War With Mexico, 1846-1848
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • John Marshall: Definer of a Nation
  • Driven West: Andrew Jackson and the Trail of Tears to the Civil War
  • 1812: The War That Forged a Nation
  • Perilous Fight: America's Intrepid War with Britain on the High Seas, 1812-1815
  • Jefferson and the Rights of Man
  • The Civil War of 1812: American Citizens, British Subjects, Irish Rebels, & Indian Allies
  • The Birth of Modern Politics: Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, and the Election of 1828
  • The Slave Community: Plantation Life in the Antebellum South
  • Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite at the Battle of New Orleans
  • John Paul Jones: Sailor, Hero, Father of the American Navy
  • George Washington on Leadership
  • Patriarch: George Washington and the New American Nation
  • Fallen Founder: The Life of Aaron Burr
  • John Adams: A Life
  • Crucible of Command: Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee--The War They Fought, The Peace They Forged
The Life of Andrew Jackson John Quincy Adams (The American Presidents, #6) Andrew Jackson A Short History of the United States Joseph Smith