Voodoo in New Orleans

Voodoo in New Orleans

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  11 reviews
"Interesting investigation and straightforward handling of sensational times and tricksters, of the cult of voodooism in all its manifestations. From its first known appearances in New Orleans of 200 years ago, here are the fetishes and formulae, the rites and dances, the cures, charms and gris-gris. Here were the witch-doctors and queens, and in particular Doctor John, wh...more
Published March 1st 1984 by Pelican Publishing Company (first published 1946)

Renie
Written in the style of the day so don't get shocked at how everyone is listed by their ethnic makeup. Touted as truth but really a narrow viewpoint from an outsider. Quick interesting pimer read full of hearsay and scraps of evidence.
Regardless kudos to the author for taking the subject seriously, for even doing research in a world that is not his own. For trying to create a written history in a space were traditon mandates all information secret and imparted in only an oral fashion.
In the end...more
Geneva
An interesting read, but he's no Zora.
Glen
Interesting and seemingly authentic, based on numerous interviews with practitioners and those who know or knew them. Perhaps somewhat dated now given its publication date (1949), but still an informative primer on an aspect of folk life in one of America's weirdest (and therefore one of my favorite) cities. Some sections are disturbing, especially to those squeamish about violence done to animals or to some of the grotesque items used in "fixin" people, and other sections are humorous, still ot...more
Dana
The highlight of the book was the final two paragraphs where America is compared to a turkey - because we have white meat and dark meat. Yes, of the racial variety. This analogy was loosely tied to a comparison of race in Voodoo.

Seriously, though, this book is curious and is ethnographic in nature. I'm not sure Robert Tallant "speaks with authority" as is suggested in the reviews, but he certainly lived an interesting life...or at least has a fantastic imagination.
Elizabeth Lilly
I was expecting something a little more scholarly and full of primary sources than how this book turned out to be. Perhaps it's because of the year of its original publishing. It was an interesting read, but seems like more of a starter on New Orleans voodoo history.
Alexandra
This book is an interesting introduction to New Orleans voodoo, or hoodoo, but was too senstationalistic to be taken seriously. I'm interested in voodoo in America and will be reading Zora Neal Hurston for more background.
Madamemortician
Mar 07, 2012 Madamemortician is currently reading it
My mom gave me this book a few years ago, before my first NOLA trip. I have had it that long and never read it. It's in my bag to take when I get stuck in Dr's offices, so it's gonna be a slow read.
Eyre
A travel non-fiction book. Interesting to read what NOLA might have seemed like to a tourist in the 40s, but the accounts of Voodoo are sensational & superficial.

Charlane Brady
Intriguing. I found the book easy-to-read. I wanted to learn more about VooDoo in New Orleans before reading about Marie Laveau....
Zombaby Cera
This is the book most tour guides in New Orleans get their knowledge from. A hidden part of true American history!
Diana Jacobsen
This was an awesome read. A history of voodoo in new Orleans. I will checking out more of Robert tallant books
Jolie
Jan 09, 2011 Jolie is currently reading it
Fairly compelling read for a historical books, though definitely outdated socially.
Todd
Todd is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Julian Patton
Julian Patton marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Rien Grey
Rien Grey marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Oda
Oda marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Tori Elder
Tori Elder marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Catherine
Catherine is currently reading it
Jun 09, 2014
Gnarly Authenticity .
Gnarly Authenticity . marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Brandy Nb
Brandy Nb marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Robert Tallant was one of Louisiana’s best-known authors. Born in New Orleans in 1909, he attended the city’s local public schools. Before “drifting” into writing, Tallant worked as an advertising copywriter, a bank teller, and a clerk. It was his friendship with Lyle Saxon that led Tallant to his position as editor on the Louisiana WPA Writers Project during the 1930s and 1940s. In that position,...more
More about Robert Tallant...
The Voodoo Queen (Pelican Pouch Series) The Pirate Lafitte and the Battle of New Orleans (Landmark Books) Mardi Gras . . . as It Was The Louisiana Purchase (Landmark Books #24) Evangeline and the Acadians