Start by marking “Motherbridge of Love” as Want to Read:
Motherbridge of Love

Motherbridge of Love

This rhyming story celebrates the bond between parent and child in a special way. Through the exchanges between a little Chinese girl and her adoptive parent, this title offers a poignant and inspiring message to adoptive parents and children all over the world.
Published September 1st 2007 by Barefoot Books

To ask other readers questions about Motherbridge of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motherbridge of Love

Jennifer Ha
Sep 12, 2014 Jennifer Ha rated it really liked it
When I first started reading the Motherbridge of Love (realistic fiction), I wondered why there were two women and one child. I thought that the book might have been about same sex marriage and adoption. However, the book turned out to be the sweetest. I rated this book as a four because there was no rich plot, but the illustrations and rhyming words were understandable and clever. I also gave this rating because I didn't know if this book was an appropriate read to read aloud in class. I would ...more
J-Lynn
The story of this book is very simple. It is told in verses, each line showing the connection between the child’s birth mother and adopted mother:

“Two different lives shaped to make you one.
One became your guiding star;
the other became your sun.”

The story shows a happy child growing up in an adopted family, but reminds the readers that her connection to her birth mother is ever present even if it is the adopted mother who calms her fears and teaches her to live.

The illustrations by Josee Masse
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Motherbridge of Love is a stunning book — both visually and in concept. Told in poetic verse, it depicts a young Chinese girl who has been adopted by a mother in North America and celebrates the role of both birth mother and adoptive mother in shaping who she is to become. As the young girl and her adoptive mother enjoy frolicking in the park, relaxing in fields of flowers, boating, and cuddling at home, the poem urges the reader to not overlook the important contributions of the birth mother — ...more
Sam Bloom
I started reading this book without any idea that Mother Bridge of Love - the organization behind this book - works to bring Chinese children in need of a family into Western homes. So, I was quite annoyed at the fact that here was another adoption book that involved a child of Asian decent with white parents. I thought to myself that, just once... just ONCE... can we get an illustrated adoption picture book with a little bit of variety here? A white child with black parents? A black child with ...more
Laurie
Feb 22, 2008 Laurie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I was really excited when I saw this at the library, because I could tell from the cover that the illustrations would be gorgeous, and because my daughter craves adoption books that feature birth-mothers. I was greatly disappointed, however, because the "poem" is poorly-written and abstract enough that my 5-year-old really didn't get anything from it. We absolutely loved the illustrations, though.

Then I noticed that there was no author given credit. Ah, that explains it. Someone recognized the
The Styling Librarian
Motherbridge of Love by The Mother’s Bridge of Love, illustrated by Josee Masse – beautiful poem accompanied by gorgeous pictures. Touching celebration of adoption. Connect this book with another beautiful picture book about adoption called The Red Thread an Adoption Fairy Tale written and illustrated by Grace Lin. I hear adoption stories from parents and siblings frequently that are quite inspiring. Thought it would be good to be knowledgeable about another adoption book and am thrilled to disc ...more
Hattie
Oct 11, 2010 Hattie rated it it was amazing
Motherbridge of Love by Xinran is a lovely poem with beautiful illustrations. The poem is about one little girl. She is adopted. She is loved by a biological mother far away and an adoped mom she lives with everyday. The book is special because it shows that each mother give something wonderful to the little girl. For example, her biological mother gave her life. Her adopted mom gives her ways to live life. In the beginning of the book the poem is written in the Chinese language which I think is ...more
Karen
Aug 05, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: adoption
Grace has taken an interest in this book, perhaps because of the beautiful illustrations. The poem was written by an adoptive mother. It is based on a Chinese adoption where the birthmom is never known and is missing any mention of fathers, but it is beautiful in its appreciation for the role both moms have played.
Esther
Sep 29, 2008 Esther rated it really liked it
The pictures in this book are so beautiful! The text is rhyming verse. It is touching, although there are couple lines I'm not as fond of as the others. The pictures are of an Asian looking daughter and birth mother and a white adoptive mother so it is fitting for international adoptions or transcultural adoptions. The verse could be applicable to any adoption.
Jessica
Beautifully written book about international adoption, though it is appropriate as well for all adoptions. Two mothers who both love the child--"One became your guiding star; the other became your sun." Perfect explanation of adoption for a child.
Karen
Oct 07, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
This is a lovely, lovely story, with heartbreakingly beautiful illustrations.

My five-year-old son is not adopted, so I'm not sure he fully understood the concept, but I do think he wanted two moms after we finished reading this book.
Gina
Apr 07, 2010 Gina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars, childrens
Beautiful pictures and poem to share with adopted children that answers the question: where did I come from?

"Once there were two women
Who never knew each other.
One you do not know.
The other you call mother."
Amanda
Dec 01, 2008 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Topic of adoption, very simple text, nice illustrations
K.
Dec 12, 2012 K. rated it really liked it
This book is a great way to talk to kids about being adopted. It's beautifully written and illustrated.
Adriana
Dec 03, 2008 Adriana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
adoption
Donna
Jul 26, 2008 Donna rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book on the subject of adoption. Simple, colorful, beautifully done. It gave me goosebumps when I read it. A great way to explain adoption to children.
Bookish
Aug 21, 2009 Bookish rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2009
I loved this book. It does a great job of tying together the birth & adoption stories, and showing that they're really two parts of the same story.
Debra
Sep 19, 2008 Debra rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Nice book about adoption.
Colette Thoreau
Colette Thoreau rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2012
Susan Waddington
Susan Waddington rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2015
Helen Gardner
Helen Gardner rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Kim Kibort
Kim Kibort rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2009
Christine Turner
Christine Turner rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2012
Lani White
Lani White rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2011
Redthreadbroken
Redthreadbroken rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Rachelle
Rachelle rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Amy Degon
Amy Degon rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...