Start by marking “Son of Stitch 'n Bitch” as Want to Read:
Son of Stitch 'n Bitch

Son of Stitch 'n Bitch

Debbie Stoller knows that at least half the projects women knit are intended for the men in their lives. She also knows that knitting
for a boyfriend or husband or father is full of pitfalls. The answer "Son of Stitch 'N Bitch," the hip, smart knitter's guide to knitting for men.
A "knitting superstar" ("San Francisco Chronicle") and author of the "New York Times" bestsel
Published November 22nd 2007 by Workman Publishing Company (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Son of Stitch 'n Bitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son of Stitch 'n Bitch

Kate
Jun 24, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
I checked this book out at the same time I checked out Never Knit Your Man a Sweater, looking for male-friendly patterns to make a gift for my boyfriend's birthday. I preferred the patterns in this book over those in Never Knit Your Man a Sweater. The designs are much more unique and trendy than the other book's bland, boring patterns. If books could have an age, Son of Stitch 'n Bitch would be about 23, while Never Knit Your Man... would be pushing 40. I guess it would depend on the age of the ...more
Meredith
Jan 30, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
This book started the wave of patterns for men that weren't goofy but were still creative. Before this, I found that many men's patterns were dorky looking things that your stereotypical grandma would knit for your stereotypical grandpa. That situation wasn't awesome if you have boyfriends or male friends who didn't want baggy Aran sweaters.

I disagree that this book is all "hipster" patterns. Some of the patterns, yeah, veer that way (vests and guitar straps, I'm looking at you). But there's st
Lauren
Jul 07, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
There are some nice patterns in this book, but I had to look past some of the yarn choices and envision the garments in colors and yarns that would look better on the men in my life... Kris gave the nod on a few of these, so some may end up in the queue before long.
Tonileg
Jul 03, 2015 Tonileg rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
Guy style knitting patterns and a good addition to your holiday knitting gift ideas.
I really liked the many hat patterns which I quickly knitted up for the family and men friends in my life, honestly I don't know anyone that deserves a sweater yet, so I didn't linger on the those patterns, but they look modern and cool too.
I wish there was less skull motif knitting in the stitch 'n b series, but otherwise good quality easy patterns.
Mostly aran medium to bulky sized yarn so everything knits up qu
JoAnn
Nov 04, 2010 JoAnn rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I loved the introduction, which gave some history of knitting and some helpful hints for those of us considering creating something for the special men in our lives.

I could see my husband wearing the "Smokin'" (106) sweater, minus the shawl collar. "Half-pipe" (46) is a hat I've seen on several men, including an improvised one on a coworker, who actually puts a stocking hat over his ball cap in the winter. "Lidsville" (30) is another classic, which maybe my father-in-law would like. "Treads"(18
Soapykitty
Feb 16, 2012 Soapykitty rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book, crafts
I was suprised and disappointed to see that there are only four crochet patterns in this book and they're nothing special (the roll up scarves only look nice rolled up!) I liked the antlers scarf and the beer bottle pillow but I'm not much of a knitter so I can't make them.Most of the stuff in this book is okay looking but it doesn't look any different from something you could get from the store.It was fun to read the "horror" stories about gals who lovingly make their boyfriends something only ...more
Jessamine
Jan 08, 2008 Jessamine rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Okay, so I admit that I've only made 2 hats from one pattern from this book. As I said in my previous review, I really like a few of the patterns here and the book offers new challenges that the other two SnB books don't include.

What I really appreciate about this book was the explanation of double knitting. I've always wanted to do it, have seen other explanations of it, but it didn't click for me until I read through this book's explanation of the technique. Though I haven't made a double knit
Erika
Oct 10, 2009 Erika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I love love love this book!! I currently have it checked out, and I've already renewed it once. I know I'm going to have to renew it again, and I'm thinking of asking for it for Christmas. I've already made the Celtic Beanie for my step-brother, and I'm in the process of making the Ski Beanie for my step-bro's boyfriend and the Uncle Argyle Scarf for my dad. I'm going to continue with the Celtic Beanie hat (since it knitted up super fast!) and make one for my step-sister's hubby and one for my ...more
Jenni
Nov 15, 2008 Jenni rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafty
Almost all of the patterns were for knitting, despite a subtitle that boasts 45 Projects to Knit & Crochet for MEN. I liked the anecdotes about "the sweater curse" - where a guy breaks up with his girlfriend after she laboriously creates him a sweater (typically by knitting). I guess some of the sweater patterns were cute if you or a your partner wear that kind of style (and can knit), but the few crochet patterns available were not outstanding. I'm not always a fan of the Stitch 'n' Bitch o ...more
Sara
Dec 08, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
I am really excited to make several items in this book: the Deady Bear, the ties, a couple of the cardigans, the awesome dice socks. I bought this book hoping it would have a lot of stuff that my husband would like, but I guarantee there is no way in hell he would wear 90% of this stuff.

That being said, there are many hilarious and inventive patterns, suited for the more "creative" type of guy. I hate the word "hipster" and I hate stereotyping, but yeah, that's what comes to mind for a lot of th
Leah
Dec 28, 2013 Leah rated it liked it
This book would have been a lot better if I knew how to knit. Unfortunately I don't, but if someone does this has really neat patterns. Another problem I have with this book and the other book by Debbie Stoller "Happy Hooker" is I wish they would give some sort of gauge as to how difficult the patterns are. There is nothing to key you in as to whether the pattern you are looking at is easy or difficult.
Aug 27, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafty
I was incredibly disappointed that this book was written for the modern crafty gal knitting for her boyfriend instead of boy knitters. Doesn't seem like a huge difference thinking abstractly, but I found it becomes very tiresome to continuously read about how to read between the lines of what your BF REALLY wants in a knit garment. That and it made it a much more disappointing xmas gift for my knitting brother.
Sybylla
Feb 05, 2015 Sybylla rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
I laughed and talked a lot on Facebook about the introduction to this book, Debbie Stoller's razor-witted version of the talking-to that begins every men's knits book I've ever seen. There are some really great rules in that introduction. And then the patterns break every one of them. It seems I'm just not tacky enough for Stoller's designs, but there are some gems in here.
Anne Hawn Smith
Nov 01, 2014 Anne Hawn Smith rated it really liked it
This is a good book for men's sweaters. I got it for the "mask" Balaclava. I planned to make it for TE and Evan, but it proved to be too difficult without having the boys around to fit it too. It is a very clever pattern though. There is also a pattern for a silhouette scarf which is very intriguing. All in all, it is a good book and I plan to make more patterns from it.
Rat de bibliothèque
Apr 17, 2009 Rat de bibliothèque rated it really liked it
My biggest problem in this book was the instructions for the "Smoking" sweater. I started knitting it for my husband. I got close to the end and saw that in the beginning when it says I should set aside 8 stitches on a holder - that it should have said to set those 8 stitches aside on BOTH sides. I don't think I've seen any or much errata available for these books.
mtthw
Sep 11, 2008 mtthw rated it it was ok
Just like the "Happy Hoooker" book, these patterns were a bit too self awake for my liking (think Stuff white People Like). And while the book touts itself as crochet and knitting, it is mostly knitting. If i were a kitter, there was one lovely sweater and maybe that would have been enough. Also, it felt very, very dated already.
Annie
Jan 27, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it
The projects in this book are similar to ones in her other books (although the stripper scarf is a weird addition and kind of in poor taste). My husband thought most of these patterns looked very nice and has already requested some things in here.
This book requires that you have a good hand on the techniques in her other books.
Rebecca
Jul 16, 2012 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This book as a variety of crochet and knitting projects for that are fantastic. It's all cool patterns that are designed with guys in mind, but quite a few patterns are great for the no-pink please girls in your life. The patterns are easy to follow and come out great! Plus there are projects for all levels from beginners to "I got this down". Great book for yarnies.
Melissa
Dec 30, 2008 Melissa rated it it was ok
Mostly knitting.... knitting book authors shouldn't lie in their subtitles. NOT COOL. The only pattern I could imagine making was the Blueprint vest. All of the knitted sweaters seemed pretty nice, though, so knitters should check this out if looking for plain-ish patterns for men and women.
Carrie
Nov 25, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
The patterns are interesting, and the pictures show the finished items well. I saved a few of them for knitting later. But my favourite part of this book was the stories in the introduction about knitting projects gone wrong (or right, in a few cases).
Nov 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who wants to knit something hip for the men in their lives
Recommended to Jennifer by: I found it at the bookstore
Shelves: owned, crafting
Some more kick ass patterns. All for the men in your life (or if your like me you will steal some for yourself). There is a robot tie and an Ernie sweater! Those were two of my favorites. My boyfriend has half the pages in this book dog eared so that I know which ones he wants.
Lacee Lambert
Oct 20, 2008 Lacee Lambert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creative
So far so good....I agree with what she says in the forward these are definitely patterns of things men really like. I'm grateful that I saw this on the end cap. Now I just gotta get me some wool so that I can make some of this stuff for my hubby and brother.
Tisha
Jan 21, 2014 Tisha rated it really liked it
This book has some good designs, as well as some of common sense that might not be common, since it had to be written down.
Gayle
Apr 06, 2012 Gayle rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty, read-2012
Making the Cobra sweater for my Dad's birthday. There are some great things in here and some extremely dodgy downright ugly things too.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Chris S says:

Finally! A collection of knitting patterns for the clothes that guys will actually want to wear--and make! Manknitting Rules!
Kei
Aug 28, 2015 Kei rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
So many happy patterns.
The hoodie WILL happen.
More practice with circular knitting and joining first, though.
Heidi
Mar 11, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all knitters with men in their lives
There is really nothing in this book that I wouldn't make. I have never said this before about any knitting book!
Karen
Apr 29, 2013 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some nice patterns and clear instructions.....providing you are prepared to knit on circular needles for much of the time. This isn't obvious from the cover and blurb.Disappointing.
Brittany
Aug 25, 2014 Brittany rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-own, crafts
By "48 projects to knit & crochet" they really meant "mostly knit patterns with some basic (crappy) crochet patterns". Maybe someday I'll be really into knitting and love this book.
Joshua Gage
Sep 19, 2014 Joshua Gage rated it did not like it
Shelves: crochet
Only four crochet patterns out of the forty-five in this book. Very disappointing. Clearly aimed at knitters, which is a shame.
  • Domiknitrix: Whip Your Knitting Into Shape
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • Alterknits: Imaginative Projects and Creativity Exercises
  • Mason*Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide - Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes and Pictures
  • 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
  • The Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Vintage Knits
  • Pretty in Punk: 25 Punk, Rock, and Goth Knitting Projects
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Big Girl Knits : 25 Big, Bold Projects Shaped for Real Women with Real Curves
  • Knitting with Balls: A Hands-On Guide to Knitting for the Modern Man
  • Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
  • 2-at-a-Time Socks: Revealed Inside. . . The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle; Works for any Sock Pattern!
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • Knitting Classic Style: 35 Modern Designs Inspired by Fashion's Archives
Stoller is the co-founder, co-owner, and editor-in-chief of the third wave feminist, popular culture magazine Bust magazine.
More about Debbie Stoller...