Start by marking “The Adoption Decision: 15 Things You Want to Know Before Adopting” as Want to Read:
The Adoption Decision: 15 Things You Want to Know Before Adopting

The Adoption Decision: 15 Things You Want to Know Before Adopting

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  54 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In North America, more and more families are adding members through adoption. And there are more ways to adopt--and kinds of adoption--than ever.

This quick-start resource will help prospective parents consider key emotional and spiritual issues up front..."before" they plunge into the near-overwhelming mass of details and start to run into roadblocks, even dead ends.

Published August 1st 2007 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Adoption Decision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adoption Decision

Katlyn Pflederer
I don’t regret reading this book. It asked a few hard questions and made me think about some aspects of adoption that I haven’t previously considered.

That said; I have a few issues with this book.

Probably my biggest issue is that throughout the book the author has a pretty negative view of people who don’t have experience with adoption (or know the right things to say in every situation). I understand how some of the scenarios she talks about could be aggravating as an adoptive parent but I feel
Ellie Sorota
May 10, 2011 Ellie Sorota rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-nonfiction
This book captures the emotional road to and through adoption. If you are approaching the adoption decision, this book will address many of your basic concerns with practical, spiritual and emotional guidance through difficult decisions. Laura Christianson discusses criticism from family and friends, awkward questions from strangers and the difficulty of "choosing" a child with such honesty that you truly feel you're on a stronger footing after reading her book.
Topics included are:
Domestic vs.
Jenni
Jan 25, 2010 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, adoption
Most of the adoption books I have found deal more with either infant adoption or international adoption, or a combination of the two. I was so happy to start reading this one and find out it actually applied to us.

My husband and I are currently in the process of becoming approved to adopt a child from the foster care system. I truly enjoyed reading this book, as it gave me some wonderful information and I learned a lot about the process and how it works.

This book was well-written and very well
Kimberly
Aug 25, 2008 Kimberly rated it really liked it
We are thinking about adoption (in next 1-3 years, depending on how long it takes). I picked this up completely randomly at the store, because it purported to deal with the spiritual and emotional issues, in addition to the nuts and bolts. It comes from a Christian perspective, which is fine for me, but may turns off others. It even includes retellings from the Bible of adoption stories, in a mostly non-cheesy way. It is actually very concisely and sparely written, which I also appreciate.

So far
Tanya
Oct 09, 2012 Tanya rated it liked it
I picked this book up from the library because it had a chapter on adopting older children. I started with that chapter and the chapter on inter-racial families, but I ended up reading the whole thing. It didn't really have much new information in it and I haven't really done much research. It did have some anecdotal stories in it that I found interesting. There are questions that go with each chapter which could help us evaluate the reasons we want to adopt, what kind of child we could adopt, a ...more
Mercurybard
Dec 14, 2010 Mercurybard rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, adoption
First of all, this is a Christian book. Take that as you will.

Second, most of the information it conveyed was stuff I'd already picked up from my Internet research and readings provided by the state.

However, it did touch frequently on how do adoptive parents respond to stupid people being stupid about their non-traditional families.

And unlike most of the other books in the Parenting section at B&N, it did have chapters devoted to adopting older children, children from foster care, transraci
Brian
May 27, 2014 Brian rated it it was amazing
Very helpful for discerning God's will regarding adoption in our family.
Jenn
Dec 19, 2008 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, adoption
As both a birthmom and a prospective parent, I can be over critical of books about adoption. A lot of the books on adoption are more of a how to manual and don't focus enough on the birthparent. This book focuses on the emotions and people involved in the process. I especially liked the poem from the birthmom. I cried as I read it to my husband. This is a surreal experience for me to be on the other side of the adoption fence and I would recommend this book to anyone prayerful and faithful consi ...more
Susan Treat
Feb 19, 2014 Susan Treat rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER GOOD RESEARCH BOOK
Bonnie
Aug 05, 2009 Bonnie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a fantastic book for anyone who has ever considered adoption. The author (herself an adoptive mom of 2 boys) does not sugarcoat the experience but isntead tells it how it is. However, she is very encouraging and encourages all who feel called to adopt to make sure they do their research and are prepared. It's written from a Christian perspective with Bible scriptures to emphasize each chapter. Very enjoyable and informative.
Oct 24, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
Really thorough, balanced, personal, practical and helpful look at how to enter in the adoption process with eyes wide open and a prepared heart! Most appreciated how the author was candid about both the joys and challenges--and awkward comments to expect from others!--of growing one's family through adoption. Would recommend to anyone considering adopting a child.
C/Sbooklover
Oct 09, 2015 C/Sbooklover rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adoption
Loved finding a book that gave a big 'heads up' perspective on adoption. Also, that it interweaved faith into the whole process and gave a picture of how that might look.
Janet
Aug 01, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
Very good. Super-quick read and very informative. The author is a Christian and shares wonderful insights from a spiritual perspective without getting lost in that; she briefly but directly applies greater spiritual goals and ideals to the very practical considerations prospective adoptive parents face.
Jennifer Foulks
Aug 11, 2012 Jennifer Foulks rated it liked it

I've been trying to read everything I can about adoption so I appreciate the amount of advice in the book. That being said, some of the advice seemed a bit "doomsday" while other bits seemed unrealistic. I think the book had more good than bad, though, so it's definitely worth reading.
Ebony Rao
Sep 02, 2008 Ebony Rao rated it really liked it
Out of all the adoption books I have read thus far, this one is definitely my favorite. I love how she is able to connect with her readers and explain how she felt when she was in our situation. It has brought me comfort.
Tonya
Aug 08, 2010 Tonya rated it it was ok
I would have rated this higher because it had some very good information. However, it is very religious and assumes anyone who reads it is also very religious.
Ruby Hollyberry
Picked this up and OMG it is EVANGELICAL CRAP. Please, Jesus Crispies, put fish or some damn thing on your books so I can tell to stay away.
Snow
Apr 01, 2013 Snow rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Good information, though very Christian focused, which wasn't as useful to me.
Diana
Feb 27, 2015 Diana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, adoption
Very helpful in beginning the adoption process.
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Peyton
Peyton added it
Jan 10, 2016
Kristen
Kristen is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2015
Laurel Carty
Laurel Carty rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Adam Graham
Adam Graham rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Chelsea Carlson
Chelsea Carlson marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Julie Forman
Julie Forman is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2015
Emma M.
Emma M. rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
Hari
Hari marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Laura Christianson owns Blogging Bistro, a digital marketing company that specializes in building custom WordPress websites for authors and small business owners; content writing and editing; online courses; social media and blog consulting; book launch campaigns, and book cover design.

Laura has authored three books and thousands of articles.

She and her husband are the parents of two young adult
More about Laura Christianson...