Nocover-blank-133x176
Tales from the Tower o...

Daniel Diehl

Tales from the Tower of London

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The brooding grey walls of the Tower of London circumscribe one of the most recognisable buildings on the planet. Over its thousand-year history the Tower stood as a symbol of the English monarchy and served as both a palace and a prison. It is a place where court intrigues, clandestine liaisons, unimaginable tortures and grisly executions took place with frightening regul...more
Published October 24th 2011 by History Press (first published October 1st 2004)

Pete daPixie
'Tales from the Tower of London' is a collection of histories pertaining to the grisly goings on inside London's fortress from the Norman conquest to WWII.
I have to say that I find this sort of historical writing to be somewhat loose and careless. The authors have selected their tales from other publications, given in the bibliography. There are no notes within the text to give authority to stated facts. Page 8 talks of 'Anglo-Saxon kingdoms and duchies' which I find odd. The book states confide...more
The bits of this book I did read were riddled with basic errors and it completely put me off. Lord Hastings a leading Lancastrian? Yes, lifelong loyalty to the Yorkist King was a tell-tale sign of leading Lancastrians. Not. Execution dates were wrong, descriptions of people were wrong, even descriptions of the plates were wrong.
I was really disappointed with this, mainly because I was so excited when my copy arrived.
Avoid like the plague.
Nikki
Glanced through this, but was warned by a review that it gets things wrong, so it really was a glance. Seems okay for what it is intended to be -- a light and interesting read accessible to most. Curious that they mention the meticulous research -- down to the colour of a cloak someone wore -- and then get their Lancastrians muddled with their Yorkists.
Trish
I liked this book. Was familiar with many of the people showcased here, yet there were a bunch that were completely new to me. Each story was written well, not in a boring text-book kind of way that puts you to sleep, but in a way that makes you feel the author is sitting next to you telling you a really exciting story.

There was a brief history of who built the tower and what it was originally used for. Following that are individual stories of prisoners famous for their crimes or famous for what...more
Rio (Lynne)
3.25 Stars.

Even though I'm familiar with the majority of The Tower of London's famous guests, I enjoyed reading about the lessor known ones. Josef Jakobs, Rodger Casement, The Royal Heist and The Peasant's Revolt to name a few. Even though the Yeoman Guards at The Tower brief us on these stories during the Tower Tour, I enjoyed reading a more indepth story on them.
Roisín
loved this book. Have always been interested in the tower of London. Most books i have read has soley been about the two most famous Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard. But we all know their story what about all the rest. I really enjoyed reading about the stories of the two princes, an irish rebel, etc Was so well written clear and precise would recommend it.
Amanda R
It was all right! Just a collection of stories about various prisoners in the Tower over the centuries, with bits of information here and there about the Tower itself. Honestly, I would have enjoyed more history about the buildings, but that wasn't the point of the book so that's fine. The writing is functional at best and lazy at worst (for example, the authors refer to Jane Grey as "merely a pawn in a massive game of power politics" three times in one chapter) but it got the job done. An enjoy...more
Diane
A series of historic tales that take place in England from the time that the Tower of London was built by William I up to WWII in the 20th century. It advertises itself as tales *from* the Tower of London but mainly, it's about the people who may have spent some time incarcerated there. Lots of interesting information about the Peasants' Revolt, the Gunpowder Plot, a Great Escape among others. Not bad if you're a history buff.
Ariya
John Hancock was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, but was not even on the committee charged with writing it. The author of this book claims he is the author. There were some other inconsistencies, but by the time I got to this one I had to stop reading as I could no longer trust what I was reading.
Amie
I enjoyed the book, however in the forward it says that it will highlight lesser known prisoners of the Tower. However they still included Jane Grey and Katherine Howard which those are more well known stories.
Tara
Good read. You don't have to read from cover to cover, rather focusing on the chapters which most interest you. Very informative and detailed- though easy to read and engaging.
Melissa
I really, really liked it, but did find some historical inaccuracies. Those took away from my enjoyment, but it
was fun researching to fact check after awhile!
Caryn
I knew some of the history but not all of it that was in the book. I am sure that not all of the murders have come out yet that occured in the towers.
Carolyn
Quite Interesting. A number of stories that I had never read before, and are not presented at the usual Tower tour.
Dave
Enjoyed this book, I already knew some of the tales but not all. A good well written book that I could recommend.
Deb
Some very interesting stories of a very interesting place.
Deva Neely
Deva Neely marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Andrea Handte
Andrea Handte marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Eat Thy Neighbor: A History of Cannibalism Medieval Celebrations: How to Plan Holidays, Weddings, and Feasts with Recipes, Customs, Costumes, Decorations, Songs, Dances, and Games: How to Plan ... Decorations, Songs, Dances, and Games Revelations (The Merlin Chronicles  #1) Deluge Haunted Houses: Guide to Spooky, Creepy, and Strange Places Across the USA