Start by marking “Tales from the Tower of London” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Tales from the Tower o...
Daniel Diehl

Tales from the Tower of London

The brooding grey walls of the Tower of London circumscribe one of the most recognisable buildings on the planet. Over its thousand-year history the Tower stood as a symbol of the English monarchy and served as both a palace and a prison. It is a place where court intrigues, clandestine liaisons, unimaginable tortures and grisly executions took place with frightening regul ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by History Press (SC) (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from the Tower of London, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales from the Tower of London

Pete daPixie
Oct 26, 2011 Pete daPixie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
'Tales from the Tower of London' is a collection of histories pertaining to the grisly goings on inside London's fortress from the Norman conquest to WWII.
I have to say that I find this sort of historical writing to be somewhat loose and careless. The authors have selected their tales from other publications, given in the bibliography. There are no notes within the text to give authority to stated facts. Page 8 talks of 'Anglo-Saxon kingdoms and duchies' which I find odd. The book states confide
Sarah u
The bits of this book I did read were riddled with basic errors and it completely put me off. Lord Hastings a leading Lancastrian? Yes, lifelong loyalty to the Yorkist King was a tell-tale sign of leading Lancastrians. Not. Execution dates were wrong, descriptions of people were wrong, even descriptions of the plates were wrong.
I was really disappointed with this, mainly because I was so excited when my copy arrived.
Avoid like the plague.
Feb 19, 2013 Nikki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
Glanced through this, but was warned by a review that it gets things wrong, so it really was a glance. Seems okay for what it is intended to be -- a light and interesting read accessible to most. Curious that they mention the meticulous research -- down to the colour of a cloak someone wore -- and then get their Lancastrians muddled with their Yorkists.
Jun 30, 2013 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Was familiar with many of the people showcased here, yet there were a bunch that were completely new to me. Each story was written well, not in a boring text-book kind of way that puts you to sleep, but in a way that makes you feel the author is sitting next to you telling you a really exciting story.

There was a brief history of who built the tower and what it was originally used for. Following that are individual stories of prisoners famous for their crimes or famous for what
Aug 24, 2013 Roisín rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved this book. Have always been interested in the tower of London. Most books i have read has soley been about the two most famous Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard. But we all know their story what about all the rest. I really enjoyed reading about the stories of the two princes, an irish rebel, etc Was so well written clear and precise would recommend it.
Nov 30, 2013 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this book, I already knew some of the tales but not all. A good well written book that I could recommend.
Sep 09, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some very interesting stories of a very interesting place.
Shaun Hately
Dec 08, 2015 Shaun Hately rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book - did the best job of explaining what happened to Jane Grey of anything I've ever read. I finally feel like I have a handle on that tragic affair.
I thoroughly enjoyed the writing and story telling format of this book. It was clear and easy to understand and just detailed enough to not make it boring. Having said that, the reason for my two stars instead of more is that there were some needless glaring mistakes. I know the authors state in their introduction that they have attempted as best they could to give accurate details but it's fairly obvious they didn't try hard enough.
Amanda R
It was all right! Just a collection of stories about various prisoners in the Tower over the centuries, with bits of information here and there about the Tower itself. Honestly, I would have enjoyed more history about the buildings, but that wasn't the point of the book so that's fine. The writing is functional at best and lazy at worst (for example, the authors refer to Jane Grey as "merely a pawn in a massive game of power politics" three times in one chapter) but it got the job done. An enjoy ...more
Feb 15, 2013 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
A series of historic tales that take place in England from the time that the Tower of London was built by William I up to WWII in the 20th century. It advertises itself as tales *from* the Tower of London but mainly, it's about the people who may have spent some time incarcerated there. Lots of interesting information about the Peasants' Revolt, the Gunpowder Plot, a Great Escape among others. Not bad if you're a history buff.
Rio (Lynne)
3.25 Stars.

Even though I'm familiar with the majority of The Tower of London's famous guests, I enjoyed reading about the lessor known ones. Josef Jakobs, Rodger Casement, The Royal Heist and The Peasant's Revolt to name a few. Even though the Yeoman Guards at The Tower brief us on these stories during the Tower Tour, I enjoyed reading a more indepth story on them.
Jul 10, 2013 Ariya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
John Hancock was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, but was not even on the committee charged with writing it. The author of this book claims he is the author. There were some other inconsistencies, but by the time I got to this one I had to stop reading as I could no longer trust what I was reading.
Feb 07, 2013 Amie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book, however in the forward it says that it will highlight lesser known prisoners of the Tower. However they still included Jane Grey and Katherine Howard which those are more well known stories.
Jul 16, 2013 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Good read. You don't have to read from cover to cover, rather focusing on the chapters which most interest you. Very informative and detailed- though easy to read and engaging.
I really, really liked it, but did find some historical inaccuracies. Those took away from my enjoyment, but it
was fun researching to fact check after awhile!
Dec 09, 2012 Caryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I knew some of the history but not all of it that was in the book. I am sure that not all of the murders have come out yet that occured in the towers.
Aug 27, 2014 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Research needed.
Mar 19, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite Interesting. A number of stories that I had never read before, and are not presented at the usual Tower tour.
Colleen Ng
same old same old stories

Norma C. Solera
Norma C. Solera rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2016
Alan marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2016
Parathazath Mohanan
Parathazath Mohanan is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2016
Tammy marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Suzanne Moyers
Suzanne Moyers rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Heather Sullivan
Heather Sullivan rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Joanne rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Karen Thompson
Karen Thompson rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
  • The Anne Boleyn Collection II
  • America's First Dynasty: The Adamses, 1735-1918
  • Mr. and Mrs. Madison's War: America's First Couple and the War of 1812
  • Our Tempestuous Day: History Of Regency England
  • In the Lion's Court: Power, Ambition, and Sudden Death in the Reign of Henry VIII
  • As Good as God, as Clever as the Devil, the impossible life of Mary Benson
  • Tower: An Epic History of the Tower of London
  • The Deadly Sisterhood: Eight Princesses of the Italian Renaissance
  • In These Times: Living in Britain Through Napoleon's Wars, 1793–1815
  • Growing Up in Medieval London: The Experience of Childhood in History
  • Fifty Shades of Lady Catherine Grey: The Sex Scandals that Shook the Tudor Court
  • I Used to Know That: History
  • A History of English Food

“An interesting footnote to the centuries of accusations that have swirled around Richard III and the disappearance of his nephews took place in the United States in 1997. In an extraordinary mock trial, Richard III was brought up on charges of murdering his nephews. Presiding was a panel of three US Supreme Court judges. Cases for both prosecution and defence were duly presented. The judges returned a unanimous verdict of ‘not guilty on all counts’.” 0 likes
“ne feriare feri’ (strike lest thou be stricken).” 0 likes