Start by marking “The Rise of the Creative Class--Revisited: 10th Anniversary Edition--Revised and Expanded” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  2,299 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
The national bestseller that defines a new economic class and shows how it is key to the future of our cities
Published May 14th 2014 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published January 28th 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of the Creative Class--Revisited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise of the Creative Class--Revisited

Andrew
Oh, Richard Florida. So close and yet so far. I think his heart is in the right place, but, as a member of Florida's vaunted "creative class," I must kindly tell him his theory is fucked. And here's why:

--It's written from an unbelievably myopic, elite perspective. Much like Thomas Friedman, Florida seems utterly incapable of seeing the world beyond the veil of privilege that protects him and his fellow business gurus from the real world.

--Everything is bolstered by spurious quantitative methods
Juli
Jun 12, 2007 Juli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
This book changed my expectations from and about community and society. If there are enough freaks, there won't be a need to conform - and oh MY! There are certainly enough freaks to go around.
Seriously, I think the creative class is coming hot on the heels of the industrialized society - I only hope I live long enough to see it really affect the deep south.
Damian
Mar 23, 2015 Damian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had been hearing about and looking for this book for a long time, though my interest started to wane when I learned that the book dated all the way back to the ancient days of the early 2000s -- after all, if there was such a thing as a "creative class", then surely the last decade has been an important one, perhaps a definitional one, for it. So how relevant really would it be to read about Creatives in an age before the internet really got into gear?

So I was happy to find out that in fact an
Diane
Dec 29, 2007 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: trends, business, educators
As an educator, this book was the third I have read of a similar vein - starting with the World is Flat, then Pink's A Whole New Mind, and now - The Rise of the Creative Class.

I read the newer version with the updated stats - that raised Denver's place in the Creative strata. The Creative Economy is a definite topic of discussion in our state, how to grab it, use it, and feed it. I think about that as a K-12 educator - how do we keep in step with the trends so that we can fulfill the expectation
Alex
Jun 10, 2007 Alex rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avoid, capitalism
good god. richard florida presents the case that a new "creative class" is emerging in the u.s., which is going to usher in a new era of prosperity and creativity.

total lack of understanding of the human effects of globalization, almost entirely from an elite privileged perspective, almost completely worthless.
Michael
Jun 11, 2007 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been present in a "creative" field for the last 4 years, this book offered nothing new in terms of insight, but was nonetheless an excellent collection of ideas put forward in an enthusiastic and progressive form. There are flaws, as there often are with books written primarily for a business audience but from a (more or less) sociological perspective. A comment from another reader review is both correct and completely irrelevant:

"total lack of understanding of the human effects of global
s
Mar 02, 2009 s rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked what one reviewer said--"if only they didn't simply corroborate the well-established idea that the "creative class" is simply a gentrification tool, rather than a sound investment and long-term backbone of a civic identity."

the book is fantastic--although the data is soft if using it purely for academic purposes. however, it only goes to show that the "creative class" is a "class" and as such will work in powerful and cutthroat ways.

on a side note--i read this book several years ago and
Liz
Apr 21, 2012 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-studies
yeah, it was pretty bad. it was not as bad as it could've been -- it makes some critiques of precarity which I honestly wasn't expecting -- but ultimately it's a fairly nauseating celebration of the blending of bohemian aesthetics and bourgeois lifestyles. also LOL at the idea that a job in "high-end sales" is a "core creative industry". the creative class *is* the old professional class. there's no change there except in people's ideas of cool, which now arguably have a greater focus on the app ...more
Jimt43
This book is an example (and there are many) of someone who had an idea good enough for an HBR article (as Florida did write as I recall) but no where near enough info and interesting ideas to produce a 400+ page epistle. I stopped long ago at page 225 and have just decided to give up on ever finishing it. Hint, read his HBR article and you will have everything you need to know.
Stephanie W
The basic thesis of the book is that diverse, tolerant, creative urban centers attract people of the same disposition. It is those people who are the driving force of the economy and their desired lifestyle dictates their choice of city and ultimately their choice of occupation. Their lives are no longer dictated by their jobs like in the days of the Organization Man in the Grey Flannel Suit.

At the beginning of the book, I found myself agreeing with Florida's every word. Yet as the book progres
Andrea
Aug 08, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those of us caught unawares, let it be known that the Working Class is dead. As a socio-political force, anyway. As is the Bourgeoisie. The Creative Class is what has risen to take its place and Richard Florida's 'Rise of the Creative Class' documents how it did so, how its impacted cities and towns across the nation, and how your city should adjust if it hopes to have a chance of catching on. The Creative Class is represented by cities like New York and Chicago, of course, but also Seattle ...more
TarasProkopyuk
Если попытаться сформулировать суть книги "Креативный класс"одним предложением, то оно звучит примерно как то так. Эта книга о том почему определенные города по всему миру имеют свойство становиться некой Меккой и притягивать к себе массы и толпы людей творческих специальностей, в которых расширяются и первые и созидают последние.

Одним из ярчайших примеров таких явлений это массовая мировая миграция IT специалистов, программистов, дизайнеров, предпринимателей и им подобным людям творческих профе
Marc
Jan 20, 2015 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging book if you have interest in social movements and cultural preferences. From that angle it is particularly effective in describing what has happened in America and other developed world cities. Regarding the more far reaching forecasts and calls to action, the book becomes weaker and more easily susceptible to criticism.

In this version he spends a number of pages (especially at the beginning) defending his record, which underlies the point of Florida's seeming need to be respected and s
Jacobmartin
Ever since the fateful day I enrolled in that Society And Culture course in high school where I was tainted with a love of sociology forever while other students were saddled with boring business studies classes, I knew I wanted to read more actual sociological works instead of relying on my understanding of social scientists as depicted by the movie Cannibal Holocaust, which is a far more informative movie about social sciences than its title suggests.

I adored this book and was pleased it menti
Ahmed Abdelhamid
May 14, 2011 Ahmed Abdelhamid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might not have enjoyed some of the analysis of “shifts” in the book, but, indeed it changed my personal view and made me conscious of many economic changes, life style shifts, cities growth or decay, clustering the contemporary community and talent management issues. Given all these numeric facts in the book, about the technology, talent and tolerance in various cities it was very pleasant and a true added value (to me).

2008
كتب تعليقا مطولا بالعربية هنا:
Jeremy
Florida does a complete re-write of his 10-year old 1st edition. The original hypothesizes the shift from proximity to natural resources and trade to creative and intellectual resources. Companies are redefining what is important relative to location.

The re-write has the benefit of reflection. He closes the research with observations of what was right, amendments to theories that were close, and discards the hypotheses that failed to play out.

Not the best writer but interesting from a social/urb
Feb 12, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting argument pursued around the idea of creativity being just as important as technology and tolerance as a key driver of regional growth. Fatalistic about globalisation leading to manufacturing production jobs going offshore and emphasis is on creating a creative class to attract advanced manufacturing. Potentially overlooks therefore the paradox of periphery regions in former Eastern bloc regions with authoritarian traditions.
farmwifetwo
I finally gave up about 120 pgs in. I then flipped through the rest, read a bit here and there.

There's a few stories about people. A few quotes from other authors. There's the same "stuff" repeated over and over again. A few charts but no real format, thesis or point to be made.

Not what I was anticipating or interested in reading.
Janet
Didn't actually read the whole thing, but was impressed and intrigued by a chapter on my hometown Pittsburgh and its inability to rise above its industrial culture and attitudes. I see that, always have, and could never put my finger on why Pittsburgh just never felt like the kind of place I wanted to live as a free adult. Of course I still love and long for it...
Alina Peussa
Apr 09, 2013 Alina Peussa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with most of his ideas.
Tracy
Jun 08, 2010 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carnegie Mellon University professor, Richard Florida provides an astute and extensively researched explanation of the massive cultural shifts in U.S. society over the last 30 years that have caused an entirely new social class to develop: the Creative Class. Numbering close to 40 million people, the creative class consists of workers whose intellectual energy is primarily applied to innovation, problem solving, and development of new products or services. A creative class member is distinguishe ...more
Helynne
Jun 17, 2010 Helynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If a visitor from 1900 were plopped into the year 1950 and a visitor from 1950 had the chance to move forward into 2000, who would be the most shocked at the new society he/she would experience? It’s tempting to say the person from 1900 would be the most bowled over because of 1950 technology—cars, airplanes, films, TV, etc., However, author Richard Florida maintains that the 1950 visitor to 2000 would be even more surprised at the “deeper, more persuasive transformations” of the turn-of-the-21 ...more
Tara van Beurden
I’ve always been interested in sociology and the study of demographics (hence why I have a degree in sociology), but since moving out of professional accounting and into the higher education sector (still in Finance), I’ve found myself increasingly interested in studying innovation – what drives it, what effects it has, who and where, how and why. This book, an updated edition of a book originally published in 2002 looks to answer these questions, and it is one of those rare books that I walked ...more
Joseph
Dec 30, 2016 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was told about this book during a workshop for gifted and talented educators that stressed creativity. I am glad I read it and recommend it. I think it may be dated and would like to see what has happened in the past fifteen years to this class of creators. I am pariticularly interested in Austin and how locals, who made Austin Austin, have fared since it made such an impression on Florida.
Kate
Dec 01, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This a book about economy that does not lament over today's changing values, and does not agonize over a hypothetical future. Instead, Richard Florida seeks to analyze the pieces that make up our present-day system in a fact-based, yet compassionate way. That is reason number one why his work appeals to me.

The second reason is that I strongly identify myself with his construct of the "creative worker", and in this way he includes me as an essential part of the larger system. Although this is the
Mike Steinborn
Jun 16, 2013 Mike Steinborn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite being a little heavy on the statistics, this books gives an interesting insight into and analysis of a new class of people that Florida has identified as the Creative Class (to stand beside the older existing Manufacturing Class and the Service Class). Empowered by the possibilities and tools of the Information Age, Creative Class people are characterized by creativity and innovation in their work. On average, such people, no matter what work they are involved in (though some fields are ...more
Jeffrey
Jan 22, 2009 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty fascinating. I tried reading this book about a year ago, but it never stuck. This time I was pretty into it. I'd say that working at a small internet startup company helps a lot. There are certain things in the book that are right on point. Richard Florida described a lot of the things I've been experiencing at work to the fuckin letter. It doesn't change any of the miscommunication I experience at work, but at least the book defines it. It's nice to know that these trends are nationwide, ...more
Kirsten
Feb 26, 2011 Kirsten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People engaged in creative jobs, people intrested in changing economics
I thought this book was really interesting. It laid out a coherent argument for all of the things that I had vaguely been hearing complaints about from the older generations about the workplace and how things are changing.
As a potential member of the creative workforce, it was interesting for me to see the changing trends, and I am appreciative of the fact that they're changing to be more like how things are at universities, because I work well in those settings, better than I do in the traditi
M Christopher
Mar 13, 2014 M Christopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
A follow up to Florida's groundbreaking "The Rise of the Creative Class," this "revised and expanded" new edition is practically a new book. Every chapter receives a thorough-going revision based on new data, critical responses to the first edition, etc., plus there are several new chapters. If you've previously read "The Rise of the Creative Class," you will want to read this new version to get up to speed with the changes in both theory and practice. If you've not read the first book, then thi ...more
Liam
Jun 25, 2012 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Creativity involves the ability to synthesize. Einstein captured it nicely when he called his own work 'combinatory play.' It is a matter of sifting through data, perceptions and materials to come up with combinations that are new and useful. A creative synthesis is useful in such varied ways as producing a practical device, or a theory or insight that can be applied to solve a problem, or a work of art that can be appreciated. Creativity requires self-assurance and the ability to take risks." ...more
  • The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America is Tearing Us Apart
  • The Age of Unreason
  • The Creative Economy: How People Make Money From Ideas
  • The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us about Innovation
  • Experience Economy: Work is Theatre & Every Business a Stage
  • Convergence Culture: Where Old and New Media Collide
  • What's Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • American Steel
  • The Great Good Place: Cafes, Coffee Shops, Bookstores, Bars, Hair Salons, and Other Hangouts at the Heart of a Community
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Out of Control: The New Biology of Machines, Social Systems, and the Economic World
  • The Republic of Tea: : The Story of the Creation of a Business, as Told Through the Personal Letters of Its Founders
  • A Whack on the Side of the Head: How You Can Be More Creative
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • The Cultural Creatives: How 50 Million People Are Changing the World
  • Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
Richard Florida (born 1957 in Newark, New Jersey) is an American urban studies theorist.
Richard Florida's focus is on social and economic theory. He is currently a professor and head of the Martin Prosperity Institute at the Rotman School of Management, at the University of Toronto. He also heads a private consulting firm, the Creative Class Group.
Prof. Florida received a PhD from Columbia Univers
More about Richard Florida...

“The creative individual is no longer viewed as an iconoclast. He—or she—is the new mainstream.” 2 likes
“It's not that gays and diversity equal high technology. But if your culture is not such that it can accept difference, and uniqueness and oddity and eccentricity, you will not get high tech industry.” 2 likes