Start by marking “The Dark” as Want to Read:
The Dark

The Dark

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  3,943 ratings  ·  110 reviews
It came like a malignant shadow with seductive promises of power. And somewhere in the night...a small girl smiled as her mother burned...Asylum inmates slaughtered their attendants...in slimy tunnels once-human creatures gathered. Madness raged as the lights began to fade and humanity was attacked by an ancient, unstoppable evil... Remember with fear...
Published May 1st 2011 by Pan Publishing (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark

Bandit
This was quite possible one of Herbert's best books, the one that really showcased what he was capable of. It reminded me of The Fog with the way he wrote some of the epic horror scenes, sheer awe ispiring macabre, but with this book there were many more such scenes. Startingout with a terrific opening scene, armed with the original premise of evil as a tangible psychic force, the story takes the readers on a really dark (pun intended) scary journey. It did get a tad slow in parts and the climax ...more
Don
Mar 25, 2008 Don rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of H.P. Lovecraft, Clive Barker, Stephen King
Recommended to Don by: Ada
Shelves: horror
Randolph Carter
It's pure candy. We know it's not good for us but we crave it anyway. This book is pure horror candy. Monsters and zombies. Mediums and ghosts. A post apocalyptic world. A cliffhanger at the end of every chapter like the old penny dreadfuls and the deus ex machina riding in the back seat to keep it all going. Herbert is a master at gore and he lays it on thick here along with plenty of unnatural sex acts.

In the end it was like fudge, the first bite is great, the second and third just okay, and b
Jenn Green
Well Damn, where do I even begin?!? This Author was recommended to me by another Fabulous Author Mr. Tim O'Rourke & I owe him a huge thank you for that!! This book was non-stop chills, thrills & action with more than one moment of just pure terror right from the start. I was gripping my Kindle wanting desperately to read on but afraid to at the same time, scared of what was to come. It was horrific bliss & I loved to fear every second of it!! I never saw the end coming!!! I look fowa ...more
This book was really creepy, heart stopping and mind boggling. Throughout the book from beginning to end, it's filled with gore, bloodshed and massacre. It brings the controvsial "debate" in whether whatever causes the bloodshed is based on scientific meaning or some sort of unknown forces that are trying to get rid of the human or at least the physical part of mankind.

To be honest at the beginning I thought the book was really good. I guess you can say I just lost interest and just finished rea
Teressa Michie
One of the freakiest books i have ever read. I really couldnt put it down because i was scared out my wits. Read in record time as i couldnt turn my light off before i knew how it ended. Must re-read to see if it has the same effect.
Lel
This has to be one of the creepiest books I've read. The book starts with a mass suicide/murder of a group of people in house. In true Herbert style this is explained in all its brutal, sadistic glory. The story goes on to be basically about the battle between good and evil that all people face, just with a more paranormal scary twist.
The idea in the book as good and evil being an energy force that can be controlled is an interesting one that raises many questions as you progress through the boo
Richard
back in the eighties Herbert books looked like the end of the rainbow for a goth little teenager like me. having read one in my 30's i can happily say MY GOD THEY ARE RUBBISH
Don Woods
An absolutely BRILLIANT book ! What a story ! And what a twist ! Completely took me by surprise! Herbert at his best here !!
Alan Toner
The Dark is my fourth favourite James Herbert novel after The Rats, Lair and The Fog. Very similar to The Fog (evil force sends people barmy and evil), but also rather different in its own way, The Dark is the ideal book with which to curl up on a cold winter's evening. For me, the wonderful highlight of my 1980 reading pursuits!

Further to my previous comments about The Dark, I don't know what happened after that book, but all his subsequent titles didn't seem to have quite the same heart-stoppi
It was so good... til it wasnt. The ending was so flat and boring. It was unexplained and tidy. Too tidy. The reader shouldnt always get a happy ever after.

Would have been a five but the ending was THAT dissapointing...
Sandra
What actually pushed me to purchase this book was the cool cover, which, by the way, I didn’t see in any of the editions mentioned in Goodreads. Anyway, The Dark lured me in right from the start. What was supposed to be a “Just a few pages, I promise” kind of reading turned into an afternoon-and-well-into-the-night affair. James Herbert has a knack for building up tension. I knew something was going to happen—this was obvious in most scenes—and when it did, I felt helpless, like I could’ve done ...more
J.F. Penn
I'm loving the digital re-releases of Herbert's books and they mainly stand the test of time. This is about a horrific mass murder suicide that seems to bind the evil energy of the participants which then starts to spread in the dark, taking more lives and building into a presence of pure evil. This is definitely horror with a number of scenes I had to skip over because I was reading before bed, but it's certainly a page turner with massive body count.
Thierry
Ashley James
Glad I read this book. It was the first James Herbert I read. Not the greatest book ever but worth a read. Only 99p on Amazon for my Kindle can not complain too much. Kept me interested enought to finish in a couple of days but did'nt give it to much though once finished. Worth a read.
Michael
I really tried to read this but it was so boring and dry I couldn't make it through it. At times this really felt like a bunch if random ideas thrown together.

When you have a book that puts good vs evil there's always a risk and if done correctly you choose a side but I was so bored I hoped everyone would die and the book would end. Maybe if the book were shorter it would be an easier read but I only made it halfway through before giving up.

The Dark isn't a book that pulls you in. I found my
Kirsty
Well...I finished this book in about 8 hours! i was engrossed! Couldnt put it down. I really enjoyed it although i dont think the ending was as perfectly written as the rest of the book. Would certainly recommend it to someone...infact my aunty has already pinched it!
Amanda Lyons
I'm not a fan of giving up on a book, but I've been dragging with this one and I don't know that I want to keep reading. I'm almost 2/3 of the way in and it just really doesn't have my interest. No judgement on fans of the book. Just not my cup of tea.
Kim Rox
Repetitive, anticlimactic, and inconsistent. It started out well enough but by the last 50 pages or so (I'm being kind) I was bored and couldn't wait to be done with it. It had potential but its potential was lost on redundancy of the prose.
Ria
A gripping novel that will chill you to the bone.
When Bishop goes to Beechwood house to investigate a supposed haunting he gets flashbacks to horrific killings that happened a year earlier.
After leaving he is met by Jessica Kulek who requests he give an audience to her father, Jacob who tells Bishop that a series of bizarre killings are taking place in the neighbourhood, mindless, senseless killings undercover of darkness like the people involved have been infected with a madness that strikes as
Chris The Story Reading Ape
James Herbert is a truly scary writer with an imagination that should drive him insane, but instead, it lets him present stories like this to make even the most 'macho' man check under his bed before turning out the light....
Micky Ramjeawan
it was a great read. could not put this book down. but there was something missing though i cant put a finger on it i feel that this book needed more. but overall a really good book.
Charles
I think this is Herbert's best book, and they even made a solid movie out of it that I liked. Great atmosphere.
Alanpalmer
OK this book is a horro book and you expect some death and gore. However it starts to address some interesting philosophical matters such as the nature of good and evil and the relationship between paranormal events and the scientific observations around ghost sightings etc.

unfortunately there are long graphic descriptions of unpleasant deaths, most of which have nothing to do with the plot other than to say "things are getting worse Boss" with multiple charachters intorduced simply so they can
Schmacko
For several years, Herbert was the Stephen King of England. This book scared the bloody Hell out of me as an 11-year –old; I found it for 25 cents recently at a yard sale, so I thought I’d give it another spin.

I should have “put away childish things”, as The Diary of My Personal Lord and Savior Jesus Christ says.

Herbert wrote The Fog also. The Dark is just a redux of the same plot. Except this one has a Jim Jones-like cult (it was written in 1980) and a shadowy darkness that causes the same bloo
B J Burton
For me this book encapsulates the best and the worst of the writing of James Herbert.
The good bits (and they are very good) are the intense psychological elements of the horror – the spiritual dimension of the ultimate struggle between Good and Evil. The ending is thought-provoking and moving.
The tedious aspect is the body count; hundreds of people die with unnecessarily detailed description. I can picture the author scratching his head, thinking, ‘I’ve bumped some off by shooting, stabbing, dr
Gilliam
Inconsequential, formulaic characters headline a hokey "good vs. EVIL" battle fought between a band of "respectable" paranormal investigators and a big bad, other-wordly, boogeyman and his death cult legions, circa 1980 London (didn't Thatcher just get elected?)–which the author bends over backward to explain with appallingly cornball, pseudo-scientific gobbledygook.

Apart from that the novel seems no more than a supernatural retread of the author's The Fog from 1975.

But James Herbert loves his c
Dark-Draco
I am a big fan of this author, but had never read this before...it didn't disappoint. The story follows Chris Bishop, a 'ghost-hunter' who once discovered the mass suicide of a cult in an ordinary house on a quiet road. Only, something else is in the house, a power that grows and spreads. A malevolant force that turns people's evil thoughts against them, making nightime a horrendous ordeal for most of London. Bishop must work with a group of scientists, mediums and policemen to combat something ...more
Nika
God... I finished it... don't know why... this was so boring... nono.
At first I glimpsed some Event Horizon madness, but that was just an illusion.
It wasn't scary at all, some nice gory descriptions here and there, but overall just random babbling about theoretical and philosophycal stuff that has something to do with good and evil. I skipped several pages with random descriptions of cars driving down a lane, people standing and talking, sitting and talking, standing near a car and talking...

Sor
Terralyn Gauthier
Magic Cottage by James Herbert was one of my all time favorite books. So much so, that I bought the first edition of it to have on my shelf. This book in no way compares to Magic Cottage. It's full of suspense.. but moves very slowly.
It was good. Not great, but good. Probably would have been great if it moved faster.
horror novel 6 26 Aug 28, 2014 03:23AM
Contemporary Brit...: James Herbert - The Dark just 49p/76c Kindle edition 3 4 Feb 24, 2013 11:07PM
  • Flesh
  • Erebus
  • Midnight's Lair
  • The House That Jack Built
James Herbert was Britain's number one bestselling writer (a position he held ever since publication of his first novel) and one of the world's top writers of thriller/horror fiction.

He was one of our greatest popular novelists, whose books are sold in thirty-three other languages, including Russian and Chinese. Widely imitated and hugely influential, his 19 novels have sold more than 42 million
More about James Herbert...
The Fog The Rats (Rats, #1) The Secret Of Crickley Hall Haunted (David Ash, #1) Lair (Rats, #2)