Start by marking “A Taste Of Heaven” as Want to Read:
A Taste Of Heaven

A Taste Of Heaven

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  703 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In a lonely land, love came riding in...

Libby Ross came to Heavenly, Montana, hoping for a new start, a family, children, and a good place to raise them. What she found was terrible. The cowboy who duped her into being his mail-order bride had died, leaving her penniless with nowhere to go. That's when she heard about Lodestar Ranch and its owner, Tyler Hollins.

Ty had a pr
Published January 1st 1996 by Topaz

To ask other readers questions about A Taste Of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Taste Of Heaven

Jenn
This is a story about forgiveness, acceptance, second chances at love and building a family and a happy life.

What I loved about this story:
1. Good pacing.
2. Dual POV.
3. There was more story after the couple became a couple.
4. A little humor.
5. I loved the whole cast of characters.
6. Libby. She had a backbone and wasn't a wimpy, weak heroine. She had a good balance about her and was very likable.
7. Tyler. He was broody and standoffish for a bit but I really liked how he was written too.
8. This
Me están gustando mucho las historias de esta autora. Logra decir mucho en su forma de narrar las cosas.
En esta oportunidad tenemos a Tyler y a Libby. Ambos no son lo que el otro esperaba, pero se llenan de una forma que ninguna otra persona hubiera podido haber hecho.
Tyler al principio, se resiste tanto a tener a Libby cerca que resulta fácil ver el cambio que se da luego en él. Su mente está llena de recuerdos y remordimientos del pasado y no quiere a ninguna mujer que le haga pensar en ello.
JennyG
I really enjoyed this book. Both the hero and heroine were very likeable. I loved the fact that the heroine was strong, smart and hard-working. What I loved the most was the build up, wistful gazes across the room, glowering, fleeting brushes of hands,... Sometimes, I find that hotter than the hottest sex scene.

P.S. There is no rape or attempt of rape by anyone. Cheating? Decide for yourself whether this is cheating (view spoiler)
Denise
The book starts out strong but sort of fizzles. I would give this 3 1/2 stars if possible. It was an entertaining read, the romance was good, characters well defined, good steamy scenes... but there was just something missing in the middle of the book that fell flat for me.
JiEun
This book could have been so much better, but it read as a very amateurish venture. It's like the author was just trying to hit all the elements someone told her to, but didn't think about how those elements worked in her plot.

Libby is an orphaned cook from Chicago who made the mistake of thinking the young master of the house loved her. She got caught while he was in the process of sexually assaulting her and was kicked out of the house. So she answers a fraudulent mail-order bride ad from a 70
Suzanne Barrett
Liberty Ross has just buried her husband on the desolate Montana plains. She’d traveled out from Chicago as a mail-order bride, and a mere four months later, her husband has succumbed to pneumonia. Now she must drive the rickety wagon to the nearest town to catch a train back to Chicago. But when she arrives, she discovers she hasn’t enough money to buy a ticket.

Her dilemma is solved when two ranch hands overhear the situation and ask her to come back to the ranch. Seems their cook was fired and
Krysta
Eh. I got this book because I was in the mood for a western historical romance. I'm STILL devastated that LaVyrle Spencer retired, and have never found a romance author that has the same magic as she had. This one looked ok, and I was able to download a sample before buying the entire book. Obviously, the sample was good enough that I bought the rest to finish it, but by the end, I wasn't all that impressed. It was readable, but by the end, I felt like it incorporated all the typical romance tro ...more
I can safely say this novel accomplishes the best feature of romances: a fantastic emotional journey. I felt every tear, kiss, and event. The connection between Libby and Tyler almost leaps off the page; the reader is sucked into every scene between these two and feels every confrontation, heartache, and gorgeous romantic scene. I also enjoyed how the author concentrated on actually building a relationship first, before the sexy times occur in force. Yeah, there's enough UST to make my Kindle me ...more
Kristen
I loved all 747 pages of this book.
The book starts with Libby describing how grueling burying her husband is at the end of the worst blizzard in Montana history (1887). From that scene on the book kept me engaged.
Both Libby and Tyler have secrets from their pasts that are keeping them from opening their hearts to someone. Great love story!
I own this book on my Nook.
Kay
I really enjoyed this one. We get a real good sense about living on a big ranch and the rough travels of a cattle drive. I did feel that some parts moved a bit slow but I liked how the relationships took time to develop. I look forward to reading more by this author.

3.5 Stars
Tina
I loved this book!

The story was breathtaking... It was well paced, definitely intriguing me from the get go and had me turning the pages.

I felt an instant connection with Libby she should have been broken but she found this strength deep within her. I felt every emotion she had in this book and I loved it.

My heart broke for Tyler and his locked up heart. He was a jerk in the beginning and very hurtful and although it hurt Libby you couldn't help but feel for him. He definitely redeems himself
Jacky Faber
Rating 3.5

Libby is a young woman who fled from Chicago in disgrace. She was a cook in a wealthy household whose son tried to seduce her. She comes to Montana for a new life.

The secondary characters in the novel were wonderful. I fell in love with Joe, Rorey, and Charlie. I liked them almost more than the main character, Tyler. This novel had a lot of potential but Harrington just couldn't pull it off in my opinion. Not sure why, maybe too many characters, too many plot points. It did make me wa
Jade Lauron
Book #2 reviewed during my "Romancing the Tome" book project, data for the entire project to be released when I have enough (minimum 100 books).

I will however state that this is the first romance novel I have ever read in which the heroine flat out punches the other main character, whether or not he deserves it (he does, by the way, and he also does a few other creepy things in this novel that would have me running for my life if it weren't in the context of a romance novel). She actually gut-pu
Valeria
A Taste of Heaven is done by a proven old recipe. Boy with a complicated past, meets girl with complicated past, complication ensues and in this case those are of a romantic kind. There's a lot of coming and going, misunderstandings, hurt feelings, etc.
The characters are fine, but not overly interesting. Yet one reads from beginning to end because there's something satisfactory about a baked happy end.
However, just because this one cupcake was sort of cute, it does not inspire to buy more.
So, n
postcrdprincess
I came across this book while looking for another book, and liked the title. However, I almost didn't purchase the book, because a number of the reviews mentioned that there were "so many typos." I found that this was NOT the case.

I enjoyed Libby Ross' character. She was strong for a woman that had been through several hard hitting life betrayals, yet it seems that she could still hold her head up and smile. She had a delicateness about her but was definitely not afraid of work. The only time I
Joy
Dec 31, 2010 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
A mail-order bride deceived into marrying a septuagenarian, Liberty Ross is at a loss when he dies of pneumonia after a particularly brutal Montana winter. With no job and not enough money to get home, the only employment prospect in town seems to be the whorehouse...but luckily some cowboys show up in need of a cook. While the rancher, Tyler Hollins, specifically does not want a woman on the ranch, he really does need a cook and Libby sticks around long enough for them to fall for each other an ...more
Christine Brand
A really good novel

Although I am not an avid reader of western romance, this introduction to a new author and new subject matter was totally enjoyable.
Darla
I enjoyed this book more than I enjoyed the last Alexis Harrington book I read,(not that the last was bad). I liked Tyler(chestnut hair! he had me from GO)!!! I also liked Libby, she didn't whine alot or overly or unjustly blame others for how her life turned out, and I appreciated that. Witnessing the story build between them was nice, as it turned out, Tyler was actually quite the sweetheart when he wasn't acting so surly. There were parts that made me laugh, parts that made me sigh with longi ...more
heather ♥
Beautiful story about two people learning to trust and love one another after suffering a great deal.

Tyler withdrew from contact with the people around him after his wife died in childbirth and blamed himself for it.

Libby, who was betrayed deeply twice in her life and never had a real home or family, comes to work on Tyler's ranch after the death of her husband so she can raise money to go back to Chicago and leave the nightmare Montana had been for her behind.

The two clash from the start but
Donna
What a lovely novel depicting the trial and tribulations that was endured by the early settelers . So well writen Just a great read
Gail
Nice little Western I picked up at Smashwords.com. Heroine came out west from Chicago as a mail-order bride, only to discover her groom had told her a boatload of lies, beginning with the fact that he was at least 30 years older than he'd said. She nursed him through a horrible winter, and not wants to go home--but she doesn't have enough money. A ranch in desperate need of a cook proves to be her salvation, except for the cranky owner. Who, of course, is the hero. I think he dragged his crankin ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Libby hasn't had an easy life and it doesn't look like it's going to get any easier. Her husband is dead and no one to turn to, she makes the decision to return to Chicago but doesn't have the funds. Working at the local brothel isn't something she wants to consider. When the opportunity to work as a cook at a local ranch comes up she takes it. Nice little romance between Libby and the ranch owner, Tyler. Both Libby and Tyler have a few issues they must deal with. There are a few heart-wrenching ...more
D.S. Williams
Alexis Harrington writes excellent historical romances, with beautiful wording, a well-crafted story line and characters you will love.
kreekree
I'd have rated it as a 2.5 stars if I could. I didn't hate the book, but I didn't love it either. I felt there were moments of interest in the character development and plot, but the romance aspect was lacking and ended up dragging the plot along. It is definitely not worth rereading this book.
Roshunda
Although it was not steamy and the sex scenes were lack luster, the story was beautiful. I found myself rooting for the characters, and became misty eyed over their tragedies. It was a lovely romantic tale, but if you are looking for hot sex in the wild west, you will not get it from this book.
Miso
OK book,loved the plot but found the pace of the book to be too slow.Also found the author's use of the suspense element was a bit much,as most things were not revealed until almost the end of the novel,by then I was not very interested in knowing .But ok read.
Angie Elliott
Feb 02, 2011 Angie Elliott rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Lovers
Recommended to Angie by: Cathy Collins
Alexis Harrington writes romance with a very good storyline. There are always several situations going on in her books. The romance is great, the storyline draws you in, I can't say enough good things about her.
Cindi
It was well written but at the end the relationship between Tyler & Libby became sexually explicit which I passed over. I prefer less detail. I would give it at least an R rating.
Victoria Blacke
This was a lovely read. The plot was rich in character development. It was endearing how hard the hero tried not to fall in love with the adorable and spirited heroine.
Christine
Fantastic book....fantastic author! This was my first Alexis Harrington book. Immediately after finishing this one I got another one!
  • The Tenderfoot Bride
  • Parting Gifts
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • To Wed in Texas (The McLain Series 3)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides #1) (Bitter Creek #9)
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
I've been a self-employed working novelist for the past twenty years. Of all the books I've written I've had just one foreign sale, and that was THE IRISH BRIDE, which was translated into Norwegian, where I understand it was a big hit.

I also make jewelry and I'm a fine needlework artist, specializing in embroidery, thread crochet, and sewing. I love to cook, read, entertain friends, decorate, and
More about Alexis Harrington...
Home by Morning (Powell Springs, #1) Harper's Bride The Bridal Veil Home by Nightfall (Powell Springs, #2) The Irish Bride