The Trouble with Mary

The Trouble with Mary (Italian Series #1)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Award-winning author Millie Criswell has charmed readers with her joy-filled historical romances. Now, in The Trouble With Mary,she serves up her first contemporary romantic comedy--a palate-pleasing love story of two people with nothing in common . . . except their undeniable attraction.

THE TROUBLE WITH MARY IS . . .

She's unemployed. Her huge Italian family is driving her...more
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published January 2nd 2001 by Ivy Books (first published January 1st 2000)

Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanBet Me by Jennifer CrusieCoyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanCan't Stand The Heat by Louisa EdwardsDelicious by Sherry Thomas
Foodie Romances
83rd out of 119 books — 112 voters
Love on the Line by Kimberly KincaidSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecWhen He Was Bad by Shelly LaurenstonWild Man by Kristen AshleyDelicious by Sherry Thomas
Romance Novels with Food
26th out of 33 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna
I'm participating in a genre study on "Romance" fiction. It's not something I normally read. In fact, it's probably something I avoid. The next meeting will focus on "Contemporary Romance" and my author was Millie Criswell.

This book confirms all of my hesitations about reading romance. Since the genre requires the male and female leads to be together in the end (happily ever after), there's not much surprise in the outcome, just how the author is going to get them there. I found the writing jus...more
Andrea Hussey
I’ll tell you what the trouble with Mary is, the trouble with Mary is that she’s a completely boring character that I couldn’t stand to be in the shoes of, so after so many pages I actually had to slam the book down in disgust.
She doesn’t have a romantic life, heck, she doesn’t even have a life at all. I find myself not wanting to read about a character who has no life, no sense of humor, nothing going for them, who’s fat and can’t stay away from her chocolate cannolis, yet whose jealous of her...more
Patty
I am fairly tolerant about romances. I read them for escape and so as long as the plot isn't totally outlandish and the characters are not total idiots, I am willing to suspend my disbelief.

Unfortunately, I found one aspect of this book that just did not work for me. This novel was written in 2000 and Criswell created male characters who wanted to be married to housewives. I am sure that there are still men who believe this, but they do not belong in contemporary romances.

Most romances have stro...more
Anna
Jul 27, 2014 Anna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anna by: btc
great story about second chances with some recipes added in
Marcy Graybill
An older romance that sadly shows it's age, it's still a fun story.
Ann Marie
I love the characters in this book but the story was very ordinary. Mary's Italian family is worth the price of admission, especially Grandma Flora. I liked the way that Dan and Mary's relationship played out. I also would like to read the sequel to this book, What to do about Annie, to find out what happens between Mary's best friend Annie and Mary's brother Joe. Easy going read. Just what I needed during a crazy week.
Jenn
Read this while I was on vacation a few weeks ago...typical romance book...I did like the relationship development between the main character and her mother. I think most people can relate to the love/hate relationship we sometimes have with our mothers! Just a quick, mindless, romantic read...
Carrie
Nov 14, 2007 Carrie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Peggy
Shelves: romance
This is a re-read from a while back and part of a very funny trilogy (at least) of novels. I gave low points to the Devil Served Tortellini earlier. This is the same concept but taken to a more satisfying conclusion.
Beverly
Cute story, I would read her other books. She made me smile.
Danielle
I love love love this book and whole series!!!!!
Eva
One would like to be in this family.
Robyn
Loved this book! It was so good!
Amy
Beyond formulaic, but cute.
Debbie
kinda cute!
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Ngozi Egbigwe
Ngozi Egbigwe marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
National bestselling author Millie Criswell didn't start out to be a writer. Instead, she had aspirations of joining the Rockettes as a toe-tapping member of their dancetroop, or tapping her heart away in one of those big, corny MGM musicals. Of course she was only ten at the time, had absolutely no talent as a dancer, and cannot be blamed for her failure to succeed.

To date, Ms. Criswell has writt...more
More about Millie Criswell...
No Strings Attached Mad about Mia What to Do About Annie? The Trials of Angela Asking for Trouble