Start by marking “And the Good Brown Earth” as Want to Read:
And the Good Brown Earth

And the Good Brown Earth

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A patient Gram and her spirited grandson follow the cycle of the seasons as they savor the shared joy of growing things.

Gram and Joe are great friends, and they love to spend time together, taking care of the vegetable patch-with a little help from nature, of course. But it takes a lot of patience. There’s digging time, planting time, weeding time, watering time, even thin...more
Published March 8th 2004 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about And the Good Brown Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And the Good Brown Earth

Lisa Vegan
Apr 26, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 2-8, boys & girls; children interested in gardening/nature; grandparents
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
The illustrations are perfection. From the inside covers showing the good brown earth, leaves and all, to all the illustrations of the planting and harvesting cycles and all the work a garden requires, and the story of this grandmother and grandson team even allowed for one lovely beach scene. I loved these illustrations. They have just the right amount of complexity and the colors are wonderful. And all the vegetables and fruits looked delectable!

The story is also a winner. It’s nice to see a c...more
Kathryn
I loved this book! Part of it could be because I have such fond memories of helping my grandma garden when I was a little girl--I learned so much about the good brown earth and plants and insects and animals that way! :-) This is such a joyful and warm story, following the little boy and his grandma as they go through a year of gardening from tilling the soil to harvest-time. Everything about the story and illustrations totally work for me. It's a great story for showing the bond between generat...more
Ann
What a sweetly simple story about the transformation of a plot of "good brown earth" to a full fledged garden!

I love how Gram takes Joe with her to her garden spot and shows him what goes into the growing of a garden. Joe is even given a bit of land to grow his own garden (the results are wonderful!).

There's nothing overly specific, technical or scientific here, but in a way that's what makes it so wonderful, and for children who aren't familiar with how plants grow, it's a great introduction.

W...more
Dolly
May 12, 2014 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about a grandmother and her grandson who spend a lot of time together tilling, planting, tending and harvesting a garden. The book has fun and expressive illustrations that have a mottled design, but plenty of details to point out.

The narrative is repetitive in a soothing, almost lyrical way. It's a nice way to depict a close relationship between extended family members, the life cycle of plants, and the changing of the seasons. We really enjoyed reading this story togethe...more
Peregrine
Gorgeous, detailed illustrations fill this book, a story told from a child's sense of time. An adult reader will put a more measured perspective over this, but only as a transparency, not to obscure. Whole weeks and months disappear, telescoped into remembered highlights piercing in their vividness and joy. One visit for weeding, with no mention of potato bugs or cabbage worms. Strawberries and pumpkins are not in season at the same time, of course, but for Joe, the harvest is one long undiffere...more
Joann
I fell in love with this book the very first time we checked it out from the library. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is full of love. Love for gardening, the passage of time, and being together with family. I loved how the grandmother included her grandson in every stage of gardening and how free he was to make his garden his own. A sweet story that we now have in our home library.
Michelle
Add this to your witchy bookshelf! A wonderful book about the turning of the seasons and relationship, set in a beautifully depicted garden. Grandma's refrain sets the tone and names the seasons in a way that reconnects our human action to the cycles of the good brown earth: "Now's digging time" "Now's thinking time" "Now's watching time" "Now's resting time" "Now's gathering time"... My favorite kid moment in the book is when Joe's garden, where he planted "Lots of seeds. Here, there, who-knows...more
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
This book is about the story of a young boy and his grandmother who worked in a garden and waited as "the good brown earth got on with doing what the good brown earth does best" Beginning in late fall, Joe and Gram visit the vegetable patch each season. Each time Gram goes to the vegetable patch, Joe goes with her to work and play in the garden.He helps plant seeds and pulls weeds and then celebrates with Gram when all of the vegetables are ready to harvest.
This book shows the role the eaerth pl...more
Taryn
I loved this book. I loved the story of gardening, I loved the relationships, I loved the styles of gardening, I loved the way the writer set each season with her well-chosen words and pictures. I loved it. I don't know that it's a five-star book by Publisher's Weekly standards, but for our family, who's in love with gardening and children's roles in it, it's perfect.
Twila Warner
"higgldy, piggldy, fantastic!"
Emma
This is a beautiful picture book about the rhythm of a year and how plants grow. It's a good story with beautiful illustrations, conveying a love of nature and trust in the cycles of the Earth.
Amy
very sweet. the relationship between the gram and the little boy and taking steps through the cycle of a garden. just missing credit to the One who designed "the good brown earth."
Heather Jo
Krysta
May 27, 2010 Krysta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Meghan Armstrong
Shelves: childrens-books
A great book that explains about the seasons and gardening. I'm not a gardener myself but it is a great way to explain to kids how fruits and vegetables grow.
CFAITC
A patient Gram and her spirited grandson follow the cycle of the seasons as they savor the shared joy of growing things in the garden.
Korie
I loved the simplicity of this children's book. It was a perfect evening read with my 4yo after picking vegetables in our garden.
Debra
Kathy Henderson

Gr. K - 3

Plants/Growing a Garden/Plant Need Nutrients
Stephanie
Very cute, makes me anxious for playing in the good brown earth!
Miguel
Boring 3rd person narrative. Weak poetry
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Fay Ingleby
Fay Ingleby marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Dana Beyer
Dana Beyer marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jennifer Andrew
Jennifer Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Ann Johnson
Ann Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Tracy Griffiths
Tracy Griffiths marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kathy Henderson was a Therapist in Physical and Cognitive Rehabilitation for many years.

After receiving a life changing diagnosis she felt a spiritual calling to share her journey. Her faith and life have been strengthened as well as tested. She has gone from therapist and caregiver to patient humbled by the stories of others.

Kathy feels truly blessed to share the direction she felt during this...more
More about Kathy Henderson...
Look at You!: A Baby Body Book Lugalbanda: The Boy Who Got Caught Up in a War: An Epic Tale From Ancient Iraq Baby Knows Best The Baby Dances The Little Boat