Start by marking “Kitchen Table Counseling: A Practical and Biblical Guide for Women Helping Others” as Want to Read:

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
This lay ministry counseling guide is a good leader resource for women's ministries or personal use.

Learn how to address your own needs so you can effectively help others, take people to Jesus without taking on responsibility for their burdens, and balance a counseling ministry with your other priorities.

Offer true biblical hope to other women in the face of heartaches.
Published January 31st 2006 by NavPress (first published June 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Kitchen Table Counseling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kitchen Table Counseling

Tauna
Dec 05, 2009 Tauna added it
Shelves: my-library
This was a very insightful book - I am currently applying what I've learned from it in a few different "KTC" relationships and it is extremely helpful. A few tips from the book actually changed the way I think about and approach women who ask me for counsel. Specifically, that I can't help them myself - but I can point them to Jesus and He can help them (of course, the book explains that more fully). Slapped my forehead and said "Oh, DUH!". I'll be using this for reference in the future. The gui ...more
Jen H.
Jan 02, 2011 Jen H. rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for the woman who desires to be used by the Lord to teach/mentor/counsel other women per the Titus 2 mandate. The author has no formal credentials but is the Counselor-at-Large at Multinomah University by virtue of her wisdom and experience gained over many years of serving the Lord faithfully. The book begins with an emphasis on forgiveness (something almost every woman struggles with) and proceeds to discuss various areas where one woman can be a help to another. It is a Bible-c ...more
Alyssa
Mar 19, 2008 Alyssa rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to any woman who wants the Biblical tools for developing healthy mentoring relationships with other women. Women seek refuge, solace, and healing most often in the form of friendships and Muriel Cook helps guide us in helping our friends and others who come to us with needs. The book provided insight into areas of my own life that needed healing and restoration and has encouraged me in my walk with the Lord and challenged me to be in Scripture more.
Sandy
Apr 27, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Loved this book! Read it with my seminary wives small group and it has been one of my favorites. Such practical, biblical advice about all kinds of big life issues. Gives women examples of how to be a mentor to other women with issues from suicide to grief and fear. I will definitely be using it as a resource for years to come.
Mar 17, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
This was a very helpful book. The group I read it with ended up being like a group-therapy session; it is not only good for equipping women to help other women, but it helps you figure out some of your own baggage as well, and provides "homework" assignments to deal with a variety of problems.
Caitlin
Sep 09, 2013 Caitlin rated it it was ok
I appreciated that this book points the reader and their theoretical counselees back to God. That's something I need to remember. Ultimately I didn't find it as helpful as I might have liked and I didn't like all of what there was to be said.
Amee
Mar 19, 2011 Amee rated it it was amazing
Oh so practical help in counseling other women when you aren't a professional counselor yourself. How to deal with those crisis situations that your friends, acquaintances or ministry contacts might find themselves in.
Janice Stuck
Janice Stuck rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2016
Chelle
Chelle marked it as to-read
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Kacy Lou Leyba
Kacy Lou Leyba marked it as to-read
Debrah
Debrah marked it as to-read
Jodie Wilt
Jodie Wilt marked it as to-read
Brigett
Brigett marked it as to-read
MacKenzie
MacKenzie marked it as to-read
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Stephenie
Stephenie marked it as to-read
Lisa Fox
Lisa Fox marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Michelle Witt
Michelle Witt rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Chanyce
Chanyce rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Becki
Becki marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Missy Bennett
Missy Bennett rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Monica Hagler
Monica Hagler is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2016
Linda Parkhouse
Linda Parkhouse rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2015
Maddie G.
Maddie G. marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Megan Crabtree
Megan Crabtree marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015