Start by marking “Out of the Dark” as Want to Read:
Out of the Dark

Out of the Dark

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,329 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews

Ex-cop Luke Kelly knows his friend Sam Cochrane wants nothing more than to fin
Published November 15th 2012 by Harlequin Mira (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Dark

Splage
What a story! Absolutely fabulous, but not for someone who likes sweet romance! I found this book on an Amazon Discussion as an "make you cry like a baby book". Just know what you are getting into before reading this story, their is lots of bad stuff, pedophiles, sexual abuse and awful people that turn your stomach, but the story has some beautiful relationships and is very uplifting as well.

Out of the Dark grabbed me right at the beginning. The heroine Jade has had a horrific young life. The st
Noelle
This is the second book by Sharon Sala that I've read and she hit the ball right out of the park with this one, I LOVED this book! It's good thing that I read it over the weekend because I couldn't put it down and I didn't get much sleep. =)

Jade (h) at the age of 4 her mother has a chance meeting with a cult leader named Soloman and The People of Joy. One day she decides that she needs to join them and leave her husband Sam , she can't however leave Jade. So one night she wrapes a sleeping Jade
Linda Strong
Sep 03, 2015 Linda Strong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
This is not a new book for me, nor is the author new to me. This one has been on my 'keeper' shelves for some time. I finally got some reading glasses yesterday ... since the paperback print seems to keep getting smaller the older I get. I wanted to try them out and grabbed this book to re-read.

This is not a sweet romance story, although romance does play a part, but the story itself is Jade. Jade was taken by her mother to a cult. As you can imagine what a young child's life is under these circ
Jacqueline
My second reading of this book. I liked it although it is uncomfortable in spots. The heroine has the most horrific childhood of any heroine I've EVER read. Solving the mystery part was interesting how they went about it. I appreciated the choice the author made to have the authorities actually carry out the arrests etc., instead of the hero/heroine involved in every little bit of it. It seemed more realistic that way. Although, they had a definite hand in it and the hero did involve himself in ...more
Emily
Sam Cochrane has never given up hope of one day finding out what happened to his daughter and wife twenty years ago. When a new lead is found by a family friend, he sends close friend and ex-cop Luke Kelly to see what he can find on the artist who painted a picture of his wife.

Jade has spent her life in hiding with her best friend Raphael, they both share the same horrific pasts and when a woman questions them about one of Jade's paintings it starts a series of events that leads Luke to finding
Portegiesje
Nov 02, 2015 Portegiesje rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
My mother recommended I read this book, not simply because she likes the author’s writing style, but because the book moved her beyond many authors and it was fast-paced.

It was a nice read – as long as you ignore the so-called romance.

The amount of research the author must have invested in writing this book, is clear in the entirety of Jade’s character. The young woman has been through a lot in her 24 years; abducted by her mother from her own home age 4 to join a cult, losing the one parent she
Pamela(AllHoney)
Jade Cochrane was 4 years old when her mother took her and joined a cult. But then her mother died and Jade was subjected to what no child should ever be. She escaped the cult with her friend Raphael and now makes a living selling her art. When a painting of her mother is recognized, Jade's father sends Luke Kelly to bring his daughter home.

This was a very emotional read. The subject matter hard to take at times but a story that needed to be told. Please grab your tissues before reading this.
Heidi Smith
May 02, 2013 Heidi Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I especially loved the tenderness between Raphial and Jade. They went through hell and came out alive. The fact that the father never gave up is touching. Start to finish, this book had me on the edge of my seat. I have read this book six times and the end still gets me! Want to see this one on the big screen!
Mojca
Twenty years ago Jade’s mother went to live with the People of Joy and took her four-year-old daughter with her. When Jade was six her mother died and the cult leader quickly integrated the little girl into his pedophile-pimping business. After six years she managed to escape with her best friend and they never stopped running, while Jade’s artistic talent kept them fed.

One day, the portrait of a woman that called herself Ivy catches the eye of a passerby that immediately recognizes her friend’s
Gina
Goodreads Description- Street artist Jade remembers little of her childhood except for the time she spent under the ruthless control of a cult leader, a time marked by terrible abuse and suffering. For the fifteen years since she escaped his grasp, she has survived by living on the streets and never putting down roots. Ex-cop Luke Kelly knows his friend Sam Cochrane wants nothing more than to find his daughter, Jade, who was taken from him as a child. So Luke uses all his connections to make tha ...more
RomReader
Jun 30, 2011 RomReader rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Beautiful artist has been on the run with her male BFF ever since she was 12 when they escaped from the commune where her mother abducted her to & where she was used as a child prostitute. Her painting of her mother was bought by someone who brought it to her estranged father attention. Her father hires private-investigator Hero to bring her home. Per the encouragement of her best friend, reluctant & mistrustful heroine goes home to her father with Hero. But coming home not only brings a ...more
Louise
Apr 08, 2009 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is the second novel by this author that I've read. I really enjoy her writing and have lumped her into the same category as Kay Hooper! Great read.

From back cover:

"Street artist Jade remembers little of her childhood except for the time she spent under the ruthless control of a cult leader, a time marked by terrible abuse and suffering. For the fifteen years since she escaped his grasp, she has survived by living on the streets and never putting down roots.

Ex-cop Luke Kelly knows his friend
Rhapsody
Dec 09, 2015 Rhapsody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance/abused heroine fans
Shelves: romance, fiction
When Jade was four, her mother joined a cult and took her with her. Her mother died when she was six and for the next six years, she was pimped to child-molesters by the cult leader, Solomon, until her friend Raphael, a boy three years older than her who was also being abused in the commune, took her away. After that, they lived on the streets mostly, Raphael contracting AIDS during this time. Jade is a talented artist and manages to keep them fed by selling her paintings, but when a painting sh ...more
Cinsai Hola
Feb 21, 2014 Cinsai Hola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-i-love
I've probably read this story 6 times or more & it gets to me every single time. I will readilly admit that I cry even though I know what's coming. The characters just break your heart in good & bad ways, but her gift ,as an author, is that you genuinely care what happens. Be warned that the story deals with very difficult subjects matters and she doesn't pull any punches with it. But the story is so compelling that you take the journey. (sometimes more than once.)
Shelly
Nov 22, 2012 Shelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THIS BOOKS ITS WONDERFUL, AMAZING, AND SAD. THE FATHER WAKES UP AND NOTICES HIS WIFE ISN'T IN BED WITH HIM. HE GOES TO CHECK ON HIS LITTLE GIRL TO FIND NOT THERE. HE HERE'S SOMETHING OUTSIDE AND RUNS OUT SEE THE VAN'S BACK END DISAPPEARING DOWN THE ROAD. HE SEARCHES FOR HIS LITTLE GIRL FOR A LONG TIME AND FINALLY HIS FRIENDS BRINGS HOME A PAINTING OF HIS MISSING WIFE AND BRINGS IT TO HIM. HE LOOKS AT IT AND HE SAID WHERE DID YOU GET IT FROM. THEY SAID THEY BOUGHT IT FROM A GIRL WHO PAINTE ...more
Natasha
Apr 16, 2014 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it a intense story! but not for someone who likes sweet romance! I found this book at the good will it will "make you cry like a baby book". Just know what you are getting into before reading this story, their is lots of bad stuff, pedophiles, sexual abuse and awful people that turn your stomach, but the story has some beautiful relationships and is very uplifting as well.

Shannon C.
2.5 stars: OK romantic suspense story with a touch of paranormal

The suspense/mystery portions of this book were pretty well done, but the romance I just didn't buy. There were very emotional moments, as Jade's childhood rapes were brought to light. The bad guys were real sickos, as you would expect with a ring of sex offenders who preyed on children. There was a touch of paranormal -- a psychic foreteller who they met briefly and a ghost of a friend.

The character development was just so-so. I di
Minty
Aug 04, 2015 Minty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable but I found the writing style a bit heavy handed - a lot of telling me what people were feeling and filling in back story. I'm not familiar with the author so didn't know what to expect. I read it quickly though and wanted to finish it. Not sure if I would try the same author again.
Joanna
Oct 15, 2011 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was strongly emotional and took you on a journey that at times was hard but the reward was worth it. I wasn't sure when I first picked up the book, I am not one that likes child molestation stories but the story of how Jade and Rafe survived was heart breaking and amazing all at the same time.

For her father to find her after 20 years of her being missing and then having to discover the nightmare that she had survived was heart wrenching. Then there is Luke who is her savior.

In the end
Melissa Yoder
I enjoyed the plot. It was a interesting read all the way through. It did however irritate me that the main character acted like and was treated like a little child from beginning until the end even though she was a grown woman.
Amy
Jul 22, 2015 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. A bit predictable. The wounded girl who needs to learn to love again. The hero who will teach her how. It's a shame that every child who is violated doesn't get a happy ending.
Kimber Burnett
Love Sharon Sala!!
Meet Jade. Taken by her mother at the age of 4, Jade was exposed to a life she had never known before. The abuse from the cult leader then the abuse from the strange men he brings in. With a little help, Jade escapes. For fifteen years she has survived on the streets.
Sam Cochrane is desperate to find his wife and daughter. His friend Luke knows how much Sam wants to find them. As an ex-cop, Luke uses all of his connections to try to find Sam's family. Unfortunately, there is s
Brittany Gutierrez
I read this book back when it was published 9 years ago and I can still remember everything about it... It's that good!
Puna
Apr 17, 2014 Puna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the only Sala/McCall book that I've read that I didn't really care for.
Lyndi
This was a rough read. I feel like I need a shower.
Esther Tambe
Mar 21, 2014 Esther Tambe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a real tears jerker and very heart touching story
Jeanette
Feb 03, 2014 Jeanette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sharon-sala
So emotionally intense, Ms. Sala keeps you clinging through the whole book.
Barbara Warny
Aug 13, 2014 Barbara Warny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action cover to cover. Tough subjects done tastefully
  • The Perfect Lie
  • Crash Into Me
  • Beautiful Girl
  • When a Pack Dies (Wyoming Wild #1)
  • The Darkest Heart
  • Into the Fire
  • Tapestry
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Wings of a Dove
  • Italian Stallions
  • In Your Eyes
  • A Contract Bride's Triple Surprise  (Bride Train, #2)
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • Kept (Gemini Men, #2)
  • Necklace of Shame
  • Finding Her Son
  • Lone Star Trouble
  • The Wreck

Biography

Sharon Sala is a long-time member of RWA, as well as a member of OKRWA. She has 100 plus books in print, published in five different genres – Romance, Young Adult, Western, Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. First published in 1991, she’s an eight-time RITA finalist, winner of the Janet Dailey Award, five-time Career Achievement winner from RT Magazine, five time winner of the National Reader
More about Sharon Sala...