Blank-133x176
Organize Your Mind, Or...

Paul Hammerness

Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life: Train Your Brain to Get More Done in Less Time

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  41 reviews
The key to a less hectic, less stressful life is not in simply organizing your desk, but organizing your mind. Dr. Paul Hammerness, a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist, describes the latest neuroscience research on the brain's extraordinary built-in system of organization. Margaret Moore, an executive wellness coach and codirector of the Institute of Coaching, translates...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Harlequin Nonfiction (first published January 1st 2011)

Vicky
I don't normally go to Harlequin for non-fiction books, but thanks to Netgalley, I found this one. Though there are a lot of books out there on how to organize yourself, this one takes a different slant as it focuses on organizing your thoughts first.

The authors propose techniques that could be helpful to those who suffer from ADHD, as well as those who just want to become more efficient and mentally train themselves to think in a systematic way.

The six steps are:

1. Tame the Frenzy
2. Sustain Att...more
Rose
"Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life" is a unique self-help book, one I haven't come across among some of the non-fiction literature I usually peruse in the mind, health, and body dynamic. There are many guides that address ways to be organized in categorical labels and filings and using productivity guides and software . But this particular work takes disorganization and focuses on the problems stemming from a more complex root: the mind.

It delves into the processes and thoughts behind why...more
Experience Life
What do your neurological patterns have to do with the mess on your desk? Everything, say the authors of Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life. That’s why this book doesn’t just teach readers organizational and list-making skills. Instead, it tackles the source of the problem — cloudy and disorganized thinking.

Distraction has become an epidemic, say authors Paul Hammerness, MD, a Harvard assistant professor of psychiatry, and Margaret Moore, life coach and codirector of the Institute of Coachi...more
Tanya
This book describes some techniques to help modify Inez's responses to environmental stimuli to create less stress and more productivity. The pair of authors are good coaches through the process of change. Distractions are going to occur, but this book helps you by guiding you towards mindful rather than impulsive decisions.

The author suggests creating motivators into mission statements. For example, I will improve my relationship with my children if I am better able to tame the frenzy and focus...more
Ardell
I liked the science focus, but the book seemed to lack success pathways. There were a handful of scenarios but few detailed step by step plans of how people put things together. This left the book rather imbalances. I prefer more strategies and steps to follow.
Christina
This book had a lot of potential. It is based on the premise that everyone who has trouble with organization can benefit from strategies designed for people with ADHD. Despite this, while I do have ADHD, it became clear quickly on that the target audience is a person who has trouble in one or a few areas.

The introduction was frustrating, as the same information was hashed out over and over again. When you're dealing with distracted people, this is not a good technique. I found myself having to...more
Amy
Science behind an organized brain and how that translates to organization in your everyday life. Interesting, enlightening, but not life changing. The scientist tells you the why and the life coach tells you how. I love books that give insight on how the brain works, so I enjoyed it. Overall message I got was to practice good habits and that will train your brain to be more organized.

RULES OF ORDER:
Tame the frenzy:managing emotions, don't forget physical aspects of this

Sustain Attention:ignore d...more
This book is a team authorship of psychologist and life-coach. The psychologist, Paul Hammerness, specializes in patients with ADHD. Since my son has ADHD and I have some ah, characteristics of my own, learning more about the operation of the brain and how emotion and stress affect its function was really helpful. I also thought that the life coach, Margaret Moore, had very realistic suggestions on ways to improve attention and effective time management. For me the funniest moment was a story ab...more
Stephanie
This book talked a lot about adult ADHD and the challenges that come with that condition. They also talk about how people without ADHD may also suffer from some of the symptoms. The main takeaway I got from the book was the identification of patterns of disorganization and how to address those patterns. It took a very academic approach and was neither touchy\feely nor prescriptive.

I listened to this book on Audible and the performance was enhanced by having 3 readers. One did the intro, one did...more
Sandy Swain
This is the type of book that I usually really like and devour but for some reason I had a hard time getting through this one. I can't quite put my finger on why but the writing style was not compelling enough to keep me interested.

I guess the best insight I got was the distinction between "multi-tasking" and "set-shifting". There was an excellent example of a woman going through her day trying to multi-task and ending up in a big distracted mess with a bunch of unfinished projects. Then it wen...more
Richard
Of all the different books I have read on getting organized this is the best. I can't say this book will work for everyone but it does have solutions that worked for me. It combines the science so you can understand with ideas that work on how to move forward.
Sara
This book is exactly what I need right now. To organize my mind, limit distractions and concentrate on the important stuff. It won't make me be fully in control, but at least I can learn to better manage my time by dealing with emotions in a new way. I found it interesting, i would have liked to learn things through personal exercises though. I liked the stories and it did give you tips on how to tame the frenzy and focus your energy on what matters. I'll keep this in mind when things get overwh...more
Georgianna
“By the time I reached the appendix of Organize Your Mind, Organize Your Life, I was sure the authors wrote this book for me! The Rules of Order are now posted on the ‘frig, near the computer and in my appointment book. “Apply the Brakes” is my new mantra when feeling overwhelmed. For me, this is in the moment meditation that has provided a new way to organize my brain, slow down the anxiety, and better focus on what I’m doing. Highly recommended for anyone who recognizes they need to “tame the...more
Keiko O
The most valuable part of this book for me was the appendix that had quick advice for particular organization challenges.
Luciano Palma
Although the book brings some interesting information about the human brain, it presents a very basic framework that sounds like a trivial motivational speech. We all know that in order to become more organized, we need to get more organized...
The final "case studies" are not convincing as well, because it's put like magic: people that have a terrible life and quickly turn it in a perfect one. Honestly, I don't expect that much!!!
Jameson Haslam
This was fine. A quick read and a few useful pointers.
Alok
Usefull book with some live example which can be inspirational. Occasional brilliance and a bit boring inbetween and prodding around something which is easier said than done. Good book to read but it is seems to natural to remember. After reading the book I found it dificult to rememember any take away since it didnot didnot give any extraordinary or any punch. But the last 2 chapters has the gist of the book.
June
I always pick up little tidbits from books like this, as I did with this one. However, the book was rather uninspiring overall. I liked the psychological aspects of the book but really thought that the book was longer than it should have been. It also focused on what to do if you have ADHD. I am more interested in finding slivers of time to relax or accomplish more.
Lori Kincaid
This book was a disappointment. I took a one hr course at work which focused on this book and its theories. It seemed intriguing so I decided to read the book. I found the research somewhat interesting, but none of the ideas seemed radical or extraordinary. I kept waiting for some irresistible tidbit, but found nothing. I finished the book, but it was drudgery.
Kathryn Bashaar
This book was just okay for me. I already do most of the things they advise. I'm just a sucker sometimes for a book that looks like it's going to work some kind of magic, that if only I were COMPLETELY organized and disciplined my life would be perfect. This might be a good book for someone who is really disorganized and kind of starting from scratch.
GONZA
What happens to an ADHD child when he/she grows old? This book answer to this question and to many more about attention and multitasking in every day life. Of course is not only addressed to ex diagnosed (or not) ADHD persons, but to all the people that are having problems handling their everyday life.
THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HARLEQUIND FOR THE PREVIEW
Cameron Laue
not particularly illuminating, but an interesting read with a few good insights. Lacking in a concrete, structured approach or true directives. Needed to much more specifically address steps a person should take (behaviorally, emotionally) based on the current neuroscience research available.
Mani  Scienide
Lots of good information and a nice checklist to think about and use to get organized. Better than How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes. In the end it gave me a lot to think about and more motivation to do it but not quite enough action steps to get out the door and feel compelled to go.
Lisa
For people who do not have ADHD, but can benefit from using strategies that worked for people with ADHD. Interesting supplemental reading. First chapters most beneficial, later chapters more filler and common sense (i.e don’t drink coffee late at night to help sleep).
Chantel
This was an interesting look into the actual path making, habit forming, functions that are known to us by the brain. It was more informative rather than helpful in terms of making actual organizational changes. Still interesting and the advice was good, well written.
Georgene
It has taken me 4-1/2 months to read this. It's a book that has to be processed mentally in order to "get it".

It has shown me some helpful things in regarding dealing with my ever-present ADD/ADHD. Anything that helps is ALWAYS welcome.
Erika
I was interested in the book because of the neuroscience connection. The booked felt disconnected and seemed to jump all over the place. Also, I did not agree with some of the advice. It went against things that I know that work.

~Erika
The
Not a bad idea, but it seemed (ironically) rambling an unfocused--like something that could have been 20 pages padded into 200.
Some decent advice, if you can distill it from the rambling and plethora of anecdotes and metaphors.
Jess
This book is strong on the hows and whys of attention, but weak in the training aspects. The "Rules of Order" are pretty common-sense, but it leaves the reader wondering exactly how to master the skills. Meh.
  • Self-Discipline in 10 Days: How to Go from Thinking to Doing
  • Words Can Change Your Brain: 12 Conversation Strategies to Build Trust, Resolve Conflict, and Increase Intimacy
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Smart Thinking: Three Essential Keys to Solve Problems, Innovate, and Get Things Done
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • The Career Guide for Creative and Unconventional People
  • 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • The Introverted Leader: Building on Your Quiet Strength
  • Tell Your Time: How To Manage Your Schedule So You Can Live Free
  • 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done
  • Real Simple: The Organized Home
  • Science and Religion: Reconciling the Conflicts
  • Your Survival Instinct Is Killing You: Retrain Your Brain to Conquer Fear, Make Better Decisions, and Thrive in the 21st Century
  • Parenting a House United: Changing children’s hearts and behaviors by teaching self-government