Start by marking “21st Century C: C Tips from the New School” as Want to Read:
21st Century C: C Tips from the New School

21st Century C: C Tips from the New School

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Throw out your old ideas of C, and relearn a programming language that's substantially outgrown its origins. With "21st Century C," you'll discover up-to-date techniques that are absent from every other C text available. C isn't just the foundation of modern programming languages, it is a modern language, ideal for writing efficient, state-of-the-art applications. Learn to ...more
Published October 15th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about 21st Century C, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 21st Century C

Chris Maguire
This book is awesome. The author is experienced, clear and funny. Klemens' tactic is to give a crash course in the various tools needed to produce usable, portable, up-to-date C code without getting into boring minutiae that can be googled when needed. To me this book means the difference between being able to compile an executable and being able to write software. I'm actually excited to write some C after this, but also a little scared.

Word of warning: at least a little knowledge of C is requi
Nice idea, poor implementation.

This book contains two parts: tools supplementary to C programming and a collection of C tips on pointers, macros, functions returning multiple items, functions that take a variable number of parameters.

The first part -tools useful for C programming such as makefile, debugger (gdb), memory profiling (Valgrind), version control (git)- is an ambitious move, that is trying to cover all these tools. These tools are mostly from past century, they are powerful yet someti
The idea of this book is that the C programming language has been quietly evolving, while C++ and Java took all the glory. But those languages are a mess, C++ in its syntax and gotchas and Java in its resource abuse. In its recent standards and libraries, C has many of the same features, rendering the newer languages mere syntactic sugar. C doesn't candy coat. Or, as this book puts it, it's the "punk rock of programming languages." Fast, messy, and dangerous.

I thought it was an interesting idea,
All engineering students take a one semester course fairly early in their education. My experience as a professor is that most of them promptly forget it and never make use of it again. I get alternately amused and discouraged at the lengths some of the students I work with go to avoid programming again. Because that one semester course teaches a programming language, but does not teach someone how to program. This book is meant to take someone through that step. It is sometimes hard to follow ( ...more
Tudor Ștefănescu
o trecere în revistă a ceea ce-ți trebuie pentru a programa în C. Nu intră în amănunte dar e bună ca să-ți dea câteva idei de ce ar trebui să cauți mai departe, iar pe alocuri chiar o poți folosi ca pe un "quick guide" (în special partea de source control - git). În plus se concentrează pe "noul C": C99/C11 care are câteva lucruri pe care eu (programator C/C++ de 11 ani) nu le știam (cum ar fi keyword-ul "restrict").
Alexei Averchenko
An enjoyable read, great to get you pumping for some low-level hacking - now with proper library use and great external interface. I'd recommend it as a second or third C book to read, for me personally there were very few technical things I didn't already know, but a wealth of encouragement to use things I knew about but wasn't sure were worth using in practice.
Steven Raspudic
Spends a lot of pages discussing 'C' without talking about 'C'. A lot on makefiles, debuggers, etc. Very opinionated, and I think a lot of reviews down vote it because their particular biases aren't reflected in those of the author's. Overall I would recommend any professional C programmer read this.
Jonas Granquist
With my background this is a very useful book! I learned C++ about 10 years ago but was always advised to use STL-vectors and strings instead of arrays so I did not give those topics the attention they deserved. Now I work in a project with C and this book quickly got me up to speed on some of the things I had forgotten. The one thing I did not like about the book is that a big part of it isn't C-related, like version control, etc.
Tons of great ideas for writing modern, flexible C. In all honesty, I'm not sure if my disappointments with some of the tips regarding makefiles and dependency management have to do with the book or the ecosystem itself. It seems very difficult to set up a C project compared to Python, Ruby, or other languages... luckily, Xcode takes care of a lot of the process, but it would have been nice if the author presented a similarly convenient set of tools. Maybe I'm just being picky.
Vasil Kolev
This was bad. There was nothing new for me in there, except probably asprintf() (and with a title like this I expected a lot more), and all the stuff explained was brief, non-systematic and mostly an explanation of the author's mode of work. Everyone would be better by reading the unix network programming books by Stevens, and a few manuals for whatever he/she sees used in any medium-sized project.
I had much more expectations and expected to find something useful for myself – I did not.

This book, however, would do a good job showing just-after-K&R beginners how to give birth to C code and stay sane. Another thing to be aware of: like most tutorial-type books this one already is outdated and does not overview some of useful tools available today.
This book is filled with tips on how to use non-intuitive build tools and pick up some very bad coding habits while you're at it. I suppose it could be useful as a reference if you really need to know the intricate details of makefiles for some project.
Hristo Deshev
Apart from a couple of useful tricks that could have been described on ten pages at most, this book is mostly a waste of time. Skim through it, to get a hold on some of the macros and maybe the Glib section, but don't devote too much time on the rest.
Spike Grobstein
Lots of interesting info, but some really bad advice for anyone who is building production quality applications. If you're an oldschool(ish) c coder, this will introduce you to a lot of the new features of modern c.
Lots of very good information that it took me years working professionally to figure out. Source control, libtool, automake, doxygen, this book covers them all.
I have some doubts about the goodness of a C book that claims that given the great amout of memory on modern machines, memory leaking ain't a problem.
It seems that some (most?) tips are more useful when writing small programs, because there is a lot of indirection in the code.
Ruben is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2015
Joseph added it
Nov 22, 2015
potsamiz marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2015
Gitte marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Ryan Ollos
Ryan Ollos is currently reading it
Oct 22, 2015
Franta marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
David is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2015
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Lars marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Kristóf marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Hayley Swimelar
Hayley Swimelar marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: 21st Century C - 978-1-449-32714-9 3 21 Mar 02, 2013 03:05AM
  • Code Simplicity: The Fundamentals of Software
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library
  • Mastering Algorithms with C
  • High Performance JavaScript
  • Assembly Language: Step-By-Step
  • Inside Cyber Warfare: Mapping the Cyber Underworld
  • The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
  • Learning Javascript Design Patterns
  • Python Cookbook
  • The RSpec Book
  • Functional JavaScript: Introducing Functional Programming with Underscore.js

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »