Start by marking “The Art of Seo” as Want to Read:
The Art of Seo

The Art of Seo

Four acknowledged experts in search engine optimization share guidelines and innovative techniques that will help you plan and execute a comprehensive SEO strategy. This second edition brings you up to date on recent changes in search engine behavior--such as new ranking methods involving user engagement and social media--with an array of effective tactics, from basic to a ...more
Published March 7th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2009)

Riku Sayuj
Content is King

Search 1.0: keywords and text
Search 2.0: link analysis
Search 3.0: integration of vertical results
Search 4.0: personalization

SEO strategy: Scramble!

At the end of the day, the best results are likely to be provided by the best sites. The technology that has driven search engines were based on two ranking signals: good keyword targeting and good links, but user experience and engagement are now significant factors too (a good example being Youtube shifting from views to watch-time
Franz Enzenhofer
Sep 15, 2011 Franz Enzenhofer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
hi, hmmm how should i start this post, ok i will be honest:

"The Art of SEO is a frustrating read!" There i said it now send the mob after me.

first, the 4 authors are great thinkers and innovators in the organic SEO field. the book offers lots and lots of know how for a good price.

sadly the editor was clearly overwhelmed: if you collaborate on a book you need a great, strong editor to make the book a whole. this did not happen with this book.

every topic is not discussed once but up to 4 times
Alexander Koro
Aug 25, 2013 Alexander Koro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ceo
Удивительная книга, скорее справочник! Привезли мне ее вчера и сразу нашел в ней практическую инструкцию по сервису flickr. Все собирался забросить туда свою графику, но что-то мешало. В книге очень короткая, абсолютно исчерпывающая инструкция: что, как и зачем делать! Удивительно, как авторы излагают на 3-х страницах то, на что другие расходуют сотни страниц! Получил практический результат сразу. Ради этих 3-х страниц стоило купить книгу в 668 страниц!
Книга абсолютно адекватно издана: мягкая об
Sep 08, 2016 ِabedalbaset rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its very useful to learn about SEO and also provide with great methods i already tested and its work and lead to good success not to mention its provide with many tools and provide good vision about future of SEO
i will keep it as guide for my journey to be more professional in SEO
Jeff Dyck
This books is an exhaustive overview of all things SEO. It's everything a school book textbook is not. It's fantastically written, extremely thorough, succinct. I am a 25% through it as per Kindle, but looking forward to the rest of the read.
Jun 09, 2011 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-the-shelf
informational, a bit outdated, and a bit long and repetitive by the later third. Some of the resources are outdated but likely to happen with nature of the business.
Jennifer Kyrnin
A very comprehensive (if dense) book on SEO. Read my full review.
Memo Ramirez
Jul 09, 2010 Memo Ramirez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a while to read but it was worth it. There's a ton of information in just a few pages. It's an excellent book and reference.
Peter Meinertzhagen
Aug 27, 2014 Peter Meinertzhagen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
This was the first book I bought when I was just getting into SEO. While SEO and digital marketing in general are disciplines which are changing all of the time, much of what is included in this book stands the test of time. However, I would probably only recommend picking it up when they release a new edition - even a couple of years old and some of the information will be out of date.

It was easy to read, well put together, and informative. A great starting point for someone just getting into
Aug 05, 2014 Yichen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent introduction to the workings of the search engines and how they try to present relevant information from the vast depths of information that is on the web. Many of the basic information, such as having a good site architecture and getting links from quality sites, are still applicable today. Some of the other information, especially about anchor text optimization, have been outdated as a result of Google algorithm changes since the book was published. Still, it serves as a decen ...more
Michael Cabus
Apr 15, 2016 Michael Cabus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is essential to anyone creating a content-strategy or marketing edition covers changes to the way Google does page rank, and how keyword research should reflect that. It is a very user-centered approach, which I appreciate.

I do not find the book obtuse or hard to read at all..but I read both literature and technical books, and read constantly...I've read much denser technical books.

I am reading with fascination, and learning a lot...

Sep 03, 2015 Bobbypham marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seo
Some best Magento extensions to optimize your Marketing here:
Magento Store Manager
Magento Certification

Marcella Bongiovanni
Feb 13, 2015 Marcella Bongiovanni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web
A book for the engineer that can be read by the technical writer too. :) As an editor there are quite a few technical nitbits I need to be aware of, but that are not targeted to my profession.

Seo is fundamental in the Web, but at the same time it's not exactly for the writer or the editor. Still it's something we need to be aware of.

I found this book easy enough to read, plus it gave me quite a few nuggets to munch on. Of course there was some skimming on my part over the too technical or rathe
Dave Applegate
Jan 22, 2014 Dave Applegate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- Epic introduction into SEO. It really helps you set up the thought process and understand the basic moving blocks necessary to master the industry.
- Covers a lot of the topics, like analyzing the non-link based aspects of your competitors, that don't have the glory or buzz words of topics link-building.
- A lot of really dense information, it helps to have a project to work on as you go through it... or it will be in one ear and out the other.
VTS Toronto
Jun 16, 2016 VTS Toronto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too me a bit longer to clear the content of the book but I got through it. A definite good guide to read but understand that SEO is one of the most if not the most ever changing subject, do your homework on the info shared in the book and don't just blindly follow it.
Rudi Dewilde
Jan 22, 2016 Rudi Dewilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Thé guide to SEO if you have the basics down.
Nov 17, 2014 Nemanja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MUST for all the beginners about SEO
i think this is the best book
Sam Bossen
Aug 26, 2014 Sam Bossen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book on building a better market placement for your brand in search engines. There is so much to this book it could be taught as a course - it's that full of information. Although it is from 2012 it does not feel dated. The world of computers moves fast, but this book helps you move in the right direction to get noticed online. This book is meant to help you become an expert in search engine optimization (SEO) - be prepared to spend a lot of time researching and following up on topics in t ...more
Paul Haverstick
The Art of SEO is a very informative book with a lot of good information on white hat SEO techniques. The book could use a revision to keep up-to-date with the latest algorithm updates from Google.
Alli B
Jan 17, 2012 Alli B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for work. I didn't think it was possible to write 550 pages about SEO and I was kind of right. It is probably 400 pages of unique content and 150 pages of repeating itself. I did like that it reinforced some previous points though for review. The guys that wrote this are leaders in the industry, so if you want to know SEO, this is definitely THE book to read. It isn't super technical either, so it is readable to the non-trained SEO trained.
Jun 14, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computer
I would give this five stars, but it was so incredibly dense and parenthetical that I had to re-read almost every sentence 3 times - once as a whole, once inside the parentheses, and once outside the parentheses. It was a bit torturous, but...

Fascinating subject! And unbelievably comprehensive, as far as I know.

And I still need to read the last two chapters. I just couldn't force myself to do it after school ended.
Apr 03, 2014 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informational and helpful, will definitely use as a reference.
Sep 14, 2013 Katarzyna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ta książka jest bardzo bogata w treść i wskazówki. Wielka ilość pokazanych narzędzi powoduje, że ja czytam i czytam i nawet nie jestem w połowie. Wymaga połączenia kompa z czytaniem, lub choćby zapisywania.

No i trzeba do książki wracać, tak wiele pojęć, sposobów i narzędzi trzeba sobie przypominać.
Will Vasconcelos
The book has some great insights but it gets boring at the end with an endless list of online tools for monitoring web and seo performance.
Nov 06, 2015 Rocio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although[ because of the very nature of SEO] a lot of the concepts and rules mentioned are now outdated or they were a prelude of what Google and other search engines had in store. Nevertheless, a solid guide for anyone to grasp all the basic rules of SEO. Great book!
Alexandra Wickfree
Been reading since june and trying to enact the stuff onto our website -

the book is involved and very complex so having to re read over and again but thats ok as once you learn each bit you move on. Reading it on kindle is not easy as diagrams etc are small
Yuri Titov
Apr 15, 2013 Yuri Titov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Art of SEO" is a true guide for SEO beginners.

All the material is compiled quite enough to get started with SEO or order the knowledge that you're already have.

I don't know any other book that will bring the light on SEO basics as this book.
Apr 28, 2016 Megomars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
World Renowned SEO Author, Speaker & Strategist ~ Co-Author of The Art of SEO, a 600 Page Primer on Search Engine Optimization published by O'Reilly.
Madison, WI ·
Robert Postill
Sep 22, 2014 Robert Postill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: got-it, web
I'm finally calling time after a year or more of this lurking on my shelf and admitting that I'm never going to finish it. Turgid, rigid and lifeless, to be avoided.
SEO work 1 1 Aug 10, 2016 10:40PM
Bulk Sms in Mumbai 1 2 Jun 16, 2015 02:24AM
Download link for The Art of SEO 1 9 Aug 15, 2012 07:25AM
  • Advanced Web Metrics with Google Analytics
  • Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Secrets
  • Web Analytics 2.0: The Art of Online Accountability & Science of Customer Centricity [With CDROM]
  • Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day
  • Advanced Google AdWords
  • Optimize: How to Attract and Engage More Customers by Integrating SEO, Social Media, and Content Marketing
  • Marketing in the Age of Google: Your Online Strategy Is Your Business Strategy
  • Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions
  • Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog
  • CSS: The Missing Manual
  • Building Findable Websites: Web Standards, Seo, and Beyond
  • Always Be Testing: The Complete Guide to Google Website Optimizer
  • Search Engine Optimization for Dummies
  • ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
  • Learning SQL
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide
  • HTML5: Up and Running

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“on average about 7,500 searches are performed every single second of every day.1” 0 likes
“users have grown to expect that the responses to their search queries will be returned in less than one second.” 0 likes