The Twitter Book

The Twitter Book

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Twitter is not just for talking about your breakfast anymore. It's become an indispensable communications tool for businesses, non-profits, celebrities, and people around the globe. With the second edition of this friendly, full-color guide, you'll quickly get up to speed not only on standard features, but also on new options and nuanced uses that will help you tweet with...more
Published November 7th 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published April 24th 2009)

Tim
Sep 08, 2009 Tim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I co-authored this book, so I'm biased, but I think we did a great job on putting together a quick read that teaches a whole lot, quickly, and does a decent job of spanning the range from novices to experienced users.
Melissa
This little book is chock full of helpful hints on how to use Twitter. The format is very good for those who like things in Tweet-sized chunks. Each 2-page spread has a short blurb of text on the right, giving you one nugget of information, and screen shots of actual tweets on the left that are examples of what that page is talking about.

They talk about getting started with Twitter, how to listen in and learn how it works, how Twitter can be used for conversations (and tips to do that more effec...more
Jj Kwashnak
Twitter is one of the buzzwords most bandied about in terms of social media and marketing, yet it is the one that most defies simple explanation. In most cases, when someone asks about Twitter they are told that they just need to explore it for themselves. Some see Twitter as the ultimate expression of narcissism ("I'm eating a bowl of cereal right now.") but at the same time it has become a force for information - much early information on the Mumbai terrorist attacks and the plane landing in t...more
Kevin
I don't get Twitter, after reading this book I understand it a little better but still don't really see the attraction to the service that because of it's limitations (160 characters, no RSS feeds anymore) forces users to learn or guess at abbreviations to understand what people are talking about. I'm not a facebook user either but that's more about privacy concerns then obections to the service. I'm on Google+ because Google already had my info through gmail, blogger, docs, calendar. But I want...more
Christa Avampato
When I read, appropriately enough on Twitter, that Tim O'Reilly and Sarah Milstein had written The Twitter Book, I couldn't wait to scoop up a copy. Literally. So I sent a message to the book's Twitter account and asked if I could get an early copy to review. The book is so clear and concise, so necessary to the social media world, that I wondered why on Earth it has taken so long for this kind of book to be written. Tim and Sarah are the perfect people to publish this type of work, both experts...more
Vishwa Karma
I have been on-n-off twitter for quite some time now. But, I was not a twitter "power user" ... till I read this book.

This book was an eye opener. It was only after reading this book that I came to appreciate the true power of Twitter.

The authors use simple language and lots of screen shots to explain all the various kinds of interactions you can have using Twitter.

Bottom line: if you use twitter regularly, read this book. You will learn a lot about how to use twitter effectively.
Carol
Still confused why the library bought this eBook recently when it's so outdated. but some bits of info are timeless & priceless including the chapter on corporate/business accounts.
Maria Gebhardt
"The Twitter Book" shows you how to sign up and create your profile on Twitter. It deals with the seemingly endless opportunities that Twitter offers for users. O'Reilly and Milstein also explain in detail what makes your Twitter account stand out and how not to spam anyone. For more experienced users, it showcases additional applications such as the TweetDeck and mobile client and explains how to use Twitter tools to analyze influence rating and clout.

It offers Twitter tips throughout to help y...more
Jeffrey Smith
Borrowed this from the library - and lost it. $15 fine assessed. If you find it let me know. Other than that problem, I got allot from this book. Twitter is a river that is constantly flowing at an amazing rate. Just dip your toe in every once in a while to find out what is going on. If you tweet, it will be seen by thousands or millions of people - within about 1 hour. After that, it will be ancient history. Using #Hashtags can widen your audience due to people who are interested in the same to...more
Bill
Recently, I purchased The Twitter Book by Tim O'Reilly and Sarah Milstein. It is a must purchase for any one thinking about using Twitter or anyone already using Twitter. It is full of lots of great tips and suggestions on using Twitter. I learned a lot from it. I was going to write a long review of the book but others have already done that. I purchased the print version and the e-book version. So far, it is the only book where I have done that. I have been reading the e-book on a two monitor s...more
Pedro Plassen
Great little book about Twitter essentials. Helps set you up, explains the rules and meanings (even for someone 'experienced') behind what goes around conversations, provides great references for tools that might help you manage the 'river of information'.
A great last section dedicated to the Corporate perspective: how companies should approach communication, how the company image should be presented (some great graphical ideas here!), pitfalls if expectations are not managed before followers/c...more
Mrklingon
A little dated (a number of sites referenced are gone, and Twitter API has changed over time) but full of advice and tips on how to use Twitter to find things, promote things and learn.
Freda mans
This was a great and instructional book for everything you need to know about Twitter. Unfortunately I have been on Twitter for some time, and found I knew the details of the book already. However, for those that don't know of Twitter, and I'm sure there's a few, this book would be the best tool to familiarize yourself with it. An easy lay out and illustrations show you step-by-step all there is to Tweeting. I am putting this on my recommendation list, for the savvy people out there!!!
Dhuaine
Fun and concise book about Twitter, just like Twitter itself. I'm a Twitter fan and I often found myself nodding in agreement with what I'd just read. I picked up this book hoping for more tips on commercial/branding aspects of using Twitter, instead of more personal ones. I didn't learn much, but it doesn't mean the book was bad - it's just only about Twitter itself as a service and a community, not going into possible applications. Great overview if you're getting started with Twitter.
Alicia
Some great ideas for the beginner twitterer, or for those looking to add some very simple and fast social media to their marketing repertoire. I highly suggest interacting with the authors online - they can personalize the experience of reading the book to your particular needs, questions and ideas. Check out all of the websites they suggest, as well - even if you don't use them, you'll have an idea of what's available to your followers.
Paula
Easy & fun to use. Excellent for a beginner.
Rhonda Browning White
An excellent little book for learning the basics; including Twitter navigation, terminology and methods for building followers of your account. Resources are provided for linking your Twitter account with other social media networks.

Recommended for anyone new to Twitter.
Arjen
great, great book. Recommended for both twitter lovers and agnostics, this books explains why twitter is so popular and why it is carrying the flag of the real time web.

I am using twitter for over a year before I read this book. Still the book's examples and explanation are so inspiring I wish I read it much sooner.

It's very thin so you'll read it in probably 2-4 hours.

Read it.
Kevin Buckley
Great starter book for Twitter! Easy to read in pieces, I didn't feel compelled to read from cover to cover.

Sated my appetite for more, so that I can maximize my 140 characters -

Speaking of characters....tweeted about the book and lo and behold, started a twitter conversation with one of the authors....something ONLY twitter (with help from this book) could provide!

Recommended!
Amy Beth
Very clear and concise, easy to understand and fast to read while giving you valuable info. The layout is great: relevant images on left, info on one topic on right. Most of the advice boils down to act like a real person on twitter will get you the best results.

Just started using Twitter for work. I was already falling in love with Twitter, but this totally made me fall harder.
Terez
This book written in a straight-forward, informative way that will not intimidate readers who have never used the micro-blogging service Twitter before.

Even if you are a twitter veteran, Tim O'Reilly and Sarah Milstein include great tips and third party resources any one can use to get the most of this popular and powerful service.

Highly recommended.
Lyn
It's short! Woo-hoo! All kinds of good info packed into a coffee-table style book. Tons of great illustrations and links too. I had no idea what Twitter could be until I read this. Now I'm making it work to build my online brand. Hopefully I'll eventually be good enough at something to actually justify brand power! ;)
It's good for Twitter newbies that want to learn; though, may be a bit daunting in some parts. The only thing that bugged me is the chapters aren't well-labeled; confusion would set in when they'd refer back to such-and-such chapter. Contains a few good URLs for Twitter resources.
Misssharice
Oct 08, 2012 Misssharice rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twitter novices
Recommended to Misssharice by: The Library
A great guide for Twitter novices like myself. It takes you through the whole process, from creating your profile to hashtagging to retweeting. The final section was about businesses and Twitter which was not relevant to me, but, the rest of the book was very useful.
Katy
Fairly "101" for anybody who already uses Twitter regularly, but I expected that. Still worth it for some of the tips and sites recommended, not to mention that the section on business will come in handy when talking to superiors about our org. joining Twitter.
Sebah
اممم، المتبحر في توتر ربما لا يجد فيه كثيرا من الفائدة، فيما عدا النصائح المقدمة في الكتاب بناء على مشاهدات لاستخدام توتر (للترويج مثلا).

لكني أظنه مفيدا جدا لمن يبدأ أن يخطو أولى الخطوات في توتر على دراية.
Jesus Guerrero
May 14, 2010 Jesus Guerrero rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Usuarios de Twitter
Este es un libro que no debes dejar de leer si pretendes dar un uso profesional a Twitter. Si eres un usuario ocasional, en este libro encontrarás muchos consejos y datos interesantes sobre esta red social.
Amy
A simple, concise introduction to twitter that hits all the main points. One caveat - since this book was written twitter has made some minor updates so a few of the instructions aren't 100% accurate.
Anne
Skip read most of this looking for tidbits on getting the most out of twitter. Useful for someone new to the genre, less useful to me, who have been using twitter on and off for over a year.
Danielle
As an avid twitterer, I felt this book would come in quite handy for me. I pretty much have the basics of the microblogging site down to a science, but there's always a little bit more to know...
  • Twitter Power: How to Dominate Your Market One Tweet at a Time
  • Head First JavaScript
  • Building Scalable Web Sites
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day
  • Schneier on Security
  • The Social Media Bible: Tactics, Tools, and Strategies for Business Success
  • The Joy of Pi
  • The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue
  • Landing Page Optimization: The Definitive Guide to Testing and Tuning for Conversions
  • Consent of the Networked: The Worldwide Struggle For Internet Freedom
  • The Participatory Museum
  • The Web Designer's Idea Book: The Ultimate Guide to Themes, Trends & Styles in Website Design
  • Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less
  • The Ruby Programming Language
  • Head First C#
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web
  • The Business of Books: How International Conglomerates Took Over Publishing and Changed the Way We Read
Creative Entrepreneurship How Data Science is Transforming Health Care Craft, Volume 2: Transforming Traditional Crafts Managing UUCP and Usenet Windows 98 in a Nutshell (In a Nutshell (O'Reilly))