Start by marking “Gamification by Design: Implementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps” as Want to Read:
Gamification by Design: Implementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps

Gamification by Design: Implementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps

What do Foursquare, Zynga, Nike+, and Groupon have in common? These and many other brands use gamification to deliver a sticky, viral, and engaging experience to their customers. This book provides the design strategy and tactics you need to integrate game mechanics into any kind of consumer-facing website or mobile app. Learn how to use core game concepts, design patterns ...more
Unknown Binding, 208 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Gamification by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gamification by Design

Amanda
Mar 27, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solidly commercial in nature. Lucid without being incandescent. I felt like this is the book you would reach for as a sad Dilbert when your manager says "I heard we could increase our onboarding with a badge system... By next week!" and you don't have the authority to talk them out of it. The infectious enthusiasm and bubbling-over of ideas and possibilities of "Reality Is Broken" does not show up here to mar the pure unsullied pragmatism of this book. While I like pragmatism, I have never felt ...more
Khang Nguyen
Came across this book when my friends were all crazy about FourSquare, checking here and there. The book is well organized. (Too) many examples were from FourSquare. Many of the practices were well-known and used wildly in today's applications. If you are looking for a collection of gamification practices out there, this is the right place.

However, I expected more from a book. The mechanisms can be extracted right from the apps that I use everyday. FourSquare uses half of them, and other apps t
Hiba
Nov 08, 2012 Hiba marked it as started-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit boring... It's written as a manual and it lacks very interesting examples. But the information looks useful enough for me to consider coming back to it again while I'm working on a specific design that needs to be gamified.
Gaston Claret
Ok book... Has some interesting tips & checklists on how to monetize a social game. Content is somewhat repetitive and doesn't get into too much detail of HOW to design.
Sergio Andrioli
Jun 18, 2013 Sergio Andrioli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
gave me lots of ideas
Austin Storm
I'm really interested in this topic, and was left cold by this book.

It had the pragmatic enthusiasm of a marketer discovering better ways to sell things, not of an entrepreneur discovering better ways of serving customers.

Odd and misleading anecdote about the impact of leaderboards on Orkut's growth. Scant coverage of the potentially significant drawbacks to leaderboards, which is odd because the founders of Twitter have specifically talked about their decision not to include one.

Comparison of Y
Narayana Rao
This book is a good introduction to various game mechanics. But it doesn't offer any deep understanding into any of them. The examples provided in the book are okay. Could have a been a lot better.
Thai Ly Cuong
Nov 23, 2014 Thai Ly Cuong rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good books for summarizing gamified techniques. The book helps me to organize concepts and I realized what knowledge i have been missing. The last part about coding and platform can be skip by developers. Anyway, this is an interesting book.
Vincent
Nov 22, 2011 Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of the basic fundamentals of thinking on how you can architect and design incentives to illicit the desired behavior from you users.

Frameworks can be used beyond "gamifying" apps. Having recently read Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler and Prof. Cass R. Sunstein, struck the similarities between the two books.

A great skim for those wanting for ways to think about the psychological profiles of your users.

A great read for those who are
Tbueno
Jan 02, 2012 Tbueno rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good compendium of gamification patterns used in successful websites and companies.

I purchased the eletronic version and there are some things that bug me about this book: it has blocks inviting me to go to the same website in EVERY chapter. Apart from that, there is also an sponsored chapter. :-S

Anyway, if you plan to use gamification concepts in your product/website, this book is a must have.
Alexandr Iscenco
Quite useful guideline for those, who wish to implement gamification on their web resources. The last chapters are a bit technical and code-rich, but it is easy to understand the logic behind the code and use it in web and/or mobile applications.
Erik
Jun 10, 2012 Erik rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blech, a shallow treatment by someone who is using their knowledge of buzzwords to make a living. If you want your product to have the veneer of "gamification" without actually leveraging what make games compelling, read this book.
Michael Scott
[TO EXPAND. Strong points: gamification elements; structured approach; extensive examples. Weak points: high-level; coding part felt shallow and just a space-filler.]
Melnykow
May 23, 2011 Melnykow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine treatment of how game mechanics work, how different sites and social networks utilize said mechanics, and get you thinking on how to design your own viral game.
Hunter Johnson
Fine introduction to key concepts in gamification. Too many web-portal sadebar ads, and the tutorials at the end of the already-slim volume were not for me.
Jeromy Peacock
5 stars = Yearly re-read
4 stars = Re-read eventually
3 stars = Very Good
2 stars = OK
1 stars = Pass on this one.
0 stars = Couldn't finish it.
Jean
Apr 19, 2012 Jean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gabe Zichermann is kinda a blowhard so it was hard to take this book seriously. However, I did get some good insights into our business competitor.
Mahmoud Adly
Aug 06, 2012 Mahmoud Adly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book to push an idea into the business world. Although the "coding" part was not engaging for someone like me with zero Ruby experience.
Alex
Aug 29, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for gamifications, really technical though. He could have written more stories and example around it, it will have enhanced the fun of reading.
Mrinal Rai
A good start for those who are interested in Gamification. Either creatives or developers, the book significant things to offer for both.
Christofer Garner
Understanding how to leverage psychology and technology to drive desired behaviors. Beneficial in product design.
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
i would have appreciated if it had a practical example .. but still it taught me a lot about gamification
Samantha
Oct 23, 2012 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome. Clear examples, easy to understand, and really explains gamification.
Damion Paul Hart
I only give it a middle rating because some of the techniques are nefarious.
Rolandas Razma
Mar 21, 2013 Rolandas Razma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best book I read on this topic
Igor Artamonov
Apr 07, 2012 Igor Artamonov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good introduction into gamification
Waqas Abid
Waqas Abid marked it as to-read
Evan Zhou
Evan Zhou marked it as to-read
Anastasia Zorenko
Anastasia Zorenko marked it as to-read
Aicholpon
Aicholpon marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
  • The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-Based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education
  • Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals
  • The Mobile Frontier: A Guide for Designing Mobile Experiences
  • Critical Play: Radical Game Design
  • For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • Designing Virtual Worlds
  • Challenges for Game Designers
  • Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »