Start by marking “Gamification by Design: Implementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps” as Want to Read:
Gamification by Design: Implementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps

Gamification by Design: Implementing Game Mechanics in Web and Mobile Apps

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  22 reviews
What do Foursquare, Zynga, Nike+, and Groupon have in common? These and many other brands use gamification to deliver a sticky, viral, and engaging experience to their customers. This book provides the design strategy and tactics you need to integrate game mechanics into any kind of consumer-facing website or mobile app. Learn how to use core game concepts, design patterns ...more
Unknown Binding, 208 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about Gamification by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gamification by Design

Amanda
Solidly commercial in nature. Lucid without being incandescent. I felt like this is the book you would reach for as a sad Dilbert when your manager says "I heard we could increase our onboarding with a badge system... By next week!" and you don't have the authority to talk them out of it. The infectious enthusiasm and bubbling-over of ideas and possibilities of "Reality Is Broken" does not show up here to mar the pure unsullied pragmatism of this book. While I like pragmatism, I have never felt ...more
Hiba
Nov 08, 2012 Hiba marked it as started-not-finished  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit boring... It's written as a manual and it lacks very interesting examples. But the information looks useful enough for me to consider coming back to it again while I'm working on a specific design that needs to be gamified.
Austin Storm
I'm really interested in this topic, and was left cold by this book.

It had the pragmatic enthusiasm of a marketer discovering better ways to sell things, not of an entrepreneur discovering better ways of serving customers.

Odd and misleading anecdote about the impact of leaderboards on Orkut's growth. Scant coverage of the potentially significant drawbacks to leaderboards, which is odd because the founders of Twitter have specifically talked about their decision not to include one.

Comparison of Y
Thai Ly Cuong
Good books for summarizing gamified techniques. The book helps me to organize concepts and I realized what knowledge i have been missing. The last part about coding and platform can be skip by developers. Anyway, this is an interesting book.
Vincent
Great overview of the basic fundamentals of thinking on how you can architect and design incentives to illicit the desired behavior from you users.

Frameworks can be used beyond "gamifying" apps. Having recently read Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard H. Thaler and Prof. Cass R. Sunstein, struck the similarities between the two books.

A great skim for those wanting for ways to think about the psychological profiles of your users.

A great read for those who are
Gaston Claret
Ok book... Has some interesting tips & checklists on how to monetize a social game. Content is somewhat repetitive and doesn't get into too much detail of HOW to design.
Tbueno
It is a good compendium of gamification patterns used in successful websites and companies.

I purchased the eletronic version and there are some things that bug me about this book: it has blocks inviting me to go to the same website in EVERY chapter. Apart from that, there is also an sponsored chapter. :-S

Anyway, if you plan to use gamification concepts in your product/website, this book is a must have.
Erik
Blech, a shallow treatment by someone who is using their knowledge of buzzwords to make a living. If you want your product to have the veneer of "gamification" without actually leveraging what make games compelling, read this book.
Michael Scott
[TO EXPAND. Strong points: gamification elements; structured approach; extensive examples. Weak points: high-level; coding part felt shallow and just a space-filler.]
Melnykow
A fine treatment of how game mechanics work, how different sites and social networks utilize said mechanics, and get you thinking on how to design your own viral game.
Hunter Johnson
Fine introduction to key concepts in gamification. Too many web-portal sadebar ads, and the tutorials at the end of the already-slim volume were not for me.
Jean
Gabe Zichermann is kinda a blowhard so it was hard to take this book seriously. However, I did get some good insights into our business competitor.
Mahmoud Adly Ezzat
A great book to push an idea into the business world. Although the "coding" part was not engaging for someone like me with zero Ruby experience.
Alex
Good for gamifications, really technical though. He could have written more stories and example around it, it will have enhanced the fun of reading.
Mrinal Rai
A good start for those who are interested in Gamification. Either creatives or developers, the book significant things to offer for both.
Christofer Garner
Understanding how to leverage psychology and technology to drive desired behaviors. Beneficial in product design.
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
i would have appreciated if it had a practical example .. but still it taught me a lot about gamification
Samantha
Awesome. Clear examples, easy to understand, and really explains gamification.
Damion Paul Hart
I only give it a middle rating because some of the techniques are nefarious.
Rolandas Razma
One of the best book I read on this topic
Igor Artamonov
Really good introduction into gamification
Aravind
Aravind marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Noor ElDin
Noor ElDin marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Diana Brosiu
Diana Brosiu marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • The Gamification of Learning and Instruction: Game-Based Methods and Strategies for Training and Education
  • Storytelling For User Experience: Crafting Stories For Better Design
  • Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals
  • The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses
  • For the Win: How Game Thinking Can Revolutionize Your Business
  • Designing Social Interfaces
  • Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Designing Web Navigation
  • Neuro Web Design: What Makes Them Click?
  • Game Design Workshop: A Playcentric Approach to Creating Innovative Games
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • Level Up!: The Guide to Great Video Game Design
  • Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation
  • Prototyping: A Practitioner's Guide
  • Card Sorting
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Game-Based Marketing: Inspire Customer Loyalty Through Rewards, Challenges, and Contests The Gamification Revolution: How Leaders Leverage Game Mechanics to Crush the Competition Game-Based Marketing: Inspire Customer Loyalty Through Rewards, Challenges, and Contests Game-Based Marketing: Inspire Customer Loyalty Through Rewards, Challenges, and Contests Gamification Revolution