Building and Testing with Gradle

Building and Testing with Gradle

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Build and test software written in Java and many other languages with Gradle, the open source project automation tool that's getting a lot of attention. This concise introduction provides numerous code examples to help you explore Gradle, both as a build tool and as a complete solution for automating the compilation, test, and release process of simple and enterprise-level...more
Unknown Binding, 116 pages
Published July 1st 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published May 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Building and Testing with Gradle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building and Testing with Gradle

Rod Hilton
Building and Testing with Gradle is the first Gradle book on the market. It's really no surprise, then, that the book is incredibly short, a mere 90 pages including generous helpings of long code samples. This may seem like a complaint, but it's quite the opposite: Building and Testing with Gradle is incredibly short and very much to the point. It is intended as an introduction to Gradle, and it accomplishes that goal very well.

Within the next few months there will surely be another Gradle book,...more
Aykut
The other day, i was reading an article on Gradle. After reading it, I thought I should give it a try.
So I found this book.

Somewhere in this book, it says :
Gradle offers the flexibility of Ant, which many teams still cherish, but with the dependency management style of Ivy, the intelligent defaults of Maven, the speed and hashing of Git, and the meta-programming power of Groovy.

It's obviously attractive.
I had a very little usage of Ant, a few years ago. I use Maven intensively. I never used I...more
Chris Wood
I thought that the authors did a good job describing the merits of gradle over maven and ant but did not go much further. One is left with a distinct impression of the contours of the gradle dsl to get started. The advantage of this approach is its overall brevity. The disadvantage is its lack of concrete (or theoretical) depth. I suspect the authors made that decision because gradle is an internal dal to the groovy language and includes full support of maven and ant. The "full treatment" would...more
Peter Kahn
Gradle holds great promise, sitting between maven mysteries and more procedural build systems. Using a highly expressive tool to create domain specific languages which both re-use logic and reduce complexity for the end user (a developer who'd rather be solving problems than mucking about with builds) seems a major win. Gradle's ability to plug and play with maven allows large scale maven shop's to experiment without committing to a full cut over.

The book felt a little light/short to me. I hoped...more
Clark
While it's a lot better than the official documentation, it still is a fairly sparse reference. It has many solid examples, but doesn't spend enough time exploring non-standard use cases (with the exception of the section on tasks, which is very good).

If you're working on migrating from a legacy build system to gradle, this is probably a helpful book; however, if you're writing everything from scratch and want to start with modern best practices, I'd look elsewhere.

I was most disappointed with t...more
Joao Trindade
Not great at explaining gradle's way of thinking.

The middle part seems more like a man page then an introductory books.

The start and end of the book are clearly the best parts.
Chris
Just not very useful as something to buy on this subject.
chris tierney
This is an ok introduction to very basic gradle usage, but the style was a little bit too formal for my taste ("That potent best-of-breed blend is an intrinsic motivator for joining the Gradle movement.") and many details are left out for "a later volume".

You might be better off just going with the gradle.org documentation. But, this book is available for free at http://www.gradleware.com/registered/... so there's no risk in trying it.
Denis
Gradle can act either as a superset of Ant with embedded support of Ivy or as a flexible variant of Maven. However it also provides you with all means that any next generation build tool should provide. Moreover, instead of using XML Gradle uses a very concise and easy to read domain-specific language based on Groovy. This combination of the DSL and a really rich object model allows to adapt Gradle to virtually any build process.
Ronald
A short read but answers many of the questions a Gradle newbie would ask. Much of the material was already familiar to me but I had to invest weeks to gain that knowledge. If you are starting a Gradle project this book should be sitting next to you. One piece of advice, looking at the Gradle source will save you a bunch of time and give you new ideas on how to solve problems.
Steve
A good guide into what gradle is and how it differs from ant and maven. I particularly liked that, while the book explains how gradle builds on experiences with ant and maven, it isn't necessarily "better" as there are some problems for which Maven works well.
Nick
Didn't really contain any information that wasn't easily available on the web, and was much too short. If you're looking for a basic Gradle introduction you can do better than this book.
Denys Digtiar
Nice introduction to seemingly good tool.
Vladimir Miguro
Just a gradle introduction.
John Martel
John Martel is currently reading it
Aug 29, 2014
Billy
Billy is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2014
Tihomir
Tihomir is currently reading it
Aug 03, 2014
Narinder Beri
Narinder Beri is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2014
Anssi Wilkko
Anssi Wilkko is currently reading it
Apr 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »