Start by marking “Anorexia: A Stranger in the Family” as Want to Read:
Anorexia: A Stranger in the Family

Anorexia: A Stranger in the Family

Katie Metcalfe takes readers through the daily struggle with this potentially lethal obsession. Life After Anorexia is not only for recovering anorexics, but for friends and family, struggling to cope, or for anyone who wishes to have better knowledge of this illness which ruins so many lives worldwide.
Published October 18th 2012 by Accent Press (first published September 8th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Anorexia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anorexia

I wasn't originally going to write anything about this book -- it was fine, but pretty standard -- but here's something new: towards the end of the book, the author's parents, her sister, and one of her brothers each have a few pages to comment on how the author's illness affected them. I've read a number of books in which the parents added something, or a parent (usually a mother) co-wrote the book, but it's less common for siblings to weigh in.

The parents' section is more or less par for the c
Jordan Brown
A great book that shows first-hand how anorexia can affect a person and be so difficult to overcome. The short chapters from other family members were a nice addition to show that anorexia affects and takes something from the entire family, not only those suffering from this debilitating condition.
Wei Sun
it is very brave for katie to tell everyone her story of battling anorexia. her experiences and feelings during the years in recovery are very deteiled. however, i wouldnt say this is the best written book, since the words get a bit repetitive after about half way, but i suppose Katie was still quite young when she wrote this book and this is her first one. overall, i would give this book a 3 star. im not quite sure if this has helped me with my own problems with eating since i have been sufferi ...more
Mar 21, 2015 Leanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book because I am friends with Katie's youngest brother. I've only met their family once but they seem like lovely people and after reading this book I realise that my instincts were completely on point.
I really enjoyed reading Katie's book, and it brought to life just how incredibly difficult that particular period in their lives had been. I remember knowing vaguely about the situation but I never realised the way anorexia really takes a hold of not only the sufferers lif
Mar 08, 2015 Thaís rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very personal and informative book with plenty of suggestions of what could be done to victims of the disease. Some passages were very disturbing and detailed. It's also very nice to see how she managed to recover although never completely. The ending felt somehow rushed and some parts were a bit superficial but overall the book did a good job at raising awareness about the disorder. I've read the Kindle version but some words had no spacing between them which was somehow distracting.
Jun 16, 2011 Gemma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a good insight into what it is like to have anorexia. I was doing a school project on it and i believed it really helped me to develop my characters. How ever, about half way through the writing style was wearing down my patience and the story line got repatative. Over all it was good but it certainly could have been a lot better.
May 02, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
The author of this book was a patient at the same mental health hospital I go to so that's what attracted me to the book at first. It does a great job of explaining how anorexia takes control, how powerful the voice can be and how painful recovery is. The end chapters are great too, offering practical advice.
Jun 21, 2016 Kara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I don't have an eating disorder but was dismayed that the book shared weight numbers, which most books on eating disorders intentionally avoid. It also felt like there was too much focus on her identity as a goth and less about what that meant to her.
ah, it's got to be an AWFULLY RIVETING book if it's about EDs to keep me involved ... got bored ... same old been there done that - cool that she included pics, tho
Norma rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Kate rated it did not like it
Nov 16, 2012
Ashley Gay
Ashley Gay rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Michelle rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2013
Christine rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2014
Donna Tomlin
Donna Tomlin rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Deanna rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2014
Anna Mcnay
Anna Mcnay rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2011
Anna rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2013
Walkthatwalk rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2013
Dennis rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2016
Kris rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2015
Sheena rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2014
Pixie rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2013
A H rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Accent  Press
Accent Press rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2010
Emily Rose Cairns
Emily Rose Cairns rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Camilla rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Running on Empty: A Diary of Anorexia and Recovery
  • Insatiable: A Young Mother's Struggle with Anorexia
  • Alice in the Looking Glass: A Mother and Daughter's Experience of Anorexia
  • Dying to be Thin
  • Catherine: The Story of a Young Girl Who Died of Anorexia
  • Starving for Attention: A Young Woman's Struggle with and Triumph Over Anorexia Nervosa
  • Good Girls Do Swallow: The Darkly Comic True Story of How One Woman Stopped Hating Her Body
  • Insatiable: The Compelling Story of Four Teens, Food and Its Power
  • The Anorexia Diaries: A Mother and Daughter's Triumph Over Teenage Eating Disorders
  • Kid Rex: The Inspiring True Account of a Life Salvaged from Anorexia, Despair and Dark Days in New York City
  • Being Ana: A Memoir of Anorexia Nervosa
  • Eve's Apple
  • Solitaire: The Compelling Story of a Young Woman Growing up in America and Her Triumph over Anorexia
  • The Golden Cage: The Enigma of Anorexia Nervosa
  • Andrea's Voice: Silenced by Bulimia: Her Story and Her Mother's Journey Through Grief Toward Understanding
  • Biting Anorexia: A Firsthand Account of an Internal War
  • Dying to Be Thin: Understanding and Defeating Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia--A Practical, Lifesaving Guide
  • Restricted: A Novel of Half-Truths