Poetry Speaks to Children (Read & Hear)

Poetry Speaks to Children (Read & Hear)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Parents, educators, librarians, and poetry enthusiasts have wondered for years how to get children really interested in poetry. Until now, there hasn't been a collection of poems and poets that spoke directly to that elusive audience. Poetry Speaks to Children cracks through that barrier by packaging the best poems by the best authors along with a CD-making the engrossing...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Sourcebooks, Inc (first published October 18th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Poetry Speaks to Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry Speaks to Children

Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel SilversteinElias Zapple's Rhymes from the Cabbage Patch by Elias ZappleA Light in the Attic by Shel SilversteinAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsPeter, Enchantment and Stardust by William  O'Brien
Best children's poetry books
106th out of 126 books — 188 voters
Edric the Hatchling Gryphon by Eric K. WilliamsMad About Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe 20th Century Children's Book Treasury by Janet SchulmanThe Frog and Toad Treasury by Arnold LobelAmelia Bedelia Celebration, An by Peggy Parish
Children's Book Treasuries
31st out of 92 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Evelyn Tapia
This book holds multiple poems that can get small and big children interested in reading about poetry. This book also comes with a CD, which can come out pretty handy for teachers and parents to listen to before reading. The CD has the writers passionate emotion and feelings of how he/she wrote the poem. Children learn how rhymes and riddles are also used tell a story. However, the poems are more than just a story they hold deeper meanings in which sometimes can be hard to interpret. My favorite...more
This book contains a diverse collection of poems for children from a variety of poets including Gwendolyn Brooks, Lewis Carroll, Langston Hughes, Nikki Giovanni, Ogden Nash, and many others. This would be a nice book to use to introduce children to a variety of authors and a variety of poetry styles. It would be a wonderful read-aloud book, reading nook book or could be used in a listening center since it comes with a CD. Not all of the poems are on the CD, but the ones that are are labled in bo...more
(NS) Becca
From Booklist
Gr. 3-5. Teachers will celebrate this wide-ranging collection of both classic and contemporary poetry, including selections from Robert Bly and Rainer Maria Rilke, who aren't often included in anthologies for youth. There's little organization, although similarly themed selections sometimes appear together (the witches' lines from Macbeth come just after Karla Kuskin's "Knitted Things," also about a witch, for example). Almost every poem appears on a heavily illustrated page, and th...more
April Hamilton
This was an okay collection, but just okay. I would've liked to see some of the modern classics in addition to what is presented here, and a more focused collection based on the age of the intended audience.

There are works by Tolkein, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes and even Shakespeare, plus an epigram from Alexander Pope, none of which seem especially well-suited to the intended age group of this book (grammar-school aged kids), yet there's nothing by Silverstein, Seuss, or Sendak. The book inc...more
Robert Beveridge
Elise Paschen (ed.), Poetry Speaks to Children (Sourcebooks Inc., 2005)

A collection of poems written to, or about, children with an accompanying fifty-track CD (most tracks are of the poems themselves, though a few are the poets talking about the inspiration for one piece or another). While a number of these fall into bona fide chestnut status, kids who are being exposed to poetry for the first time won't be aware of that, and that old black magic should work just fine on them. For older readers...more
Christie
Came with a CD which we wore out. The kids love this collection. It's especially fun to hear the voices of some long-gone poets reading their own work.
Kathryn
This anthology is AMAZING. Reading it along with listing to the authors read their poems brought the experience to a whole new level. Robert Frost, Billy Collins, Gwendolyn Brooks, Carl Sandburg, Roald Dahl, J.R.R. Tolkien, Langston Hughes, X.J. Kennedy, Rita Dove--and that's just my favorites who read their own poems. But if I had to choose one favorite, it would be Sonia Sanchez's reading on "to P.J." There were also a lot of poems only included in writing and not on the CD. Plus, the illustra...more
Kate Coombs
A very fun poetry collection! I'll confess I haven't finished the book only in the sense that I've read all the poems, but haven't listened to the accompanying CD. (My excuse is that I'm a visual learner, not an auditory one.) But the poems are excellent--a nice variety--and the art is lovely. My new favorite poem is "Why?" by James Stevenson, and not just because it involves doughnuts! I own other poetry collections I like better, but this one is quite good.
Angela Williams
Grades 1st & up

This book is silly and full of rhymes and excitement. The images are vibrant and playful and refect the text or meaning of the poems. The poems are geared towards younger children and will allow them to use their imagination. Children will enjoy hearing the poems as well as listening to the poems on the cd provided

Language arts/science

Lesson idea: Students can choose a poem and write about what they think the meaning is.

Hannah
What I love most about this book of poetry is that there is a CD included that has some of the poets reading their poems. It is fun to hear how they read them which is usually very different from the way I read them - different inflections, speed, etc... I also think it is absolutely incredible to hear Robert Frost reading his Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening...wow! I think I enjoy this poetry book more than the kiddos!
Marissa
There are lots of other poems and poets that it would be great to see included, however, this collection still holds up well to many reads. I've been using it as part of teaching a creative writing class for 3rd through 5th graders and the kids are all responding well. They appreciate the sillier poems and are also up to the challenge for the more serious.
(NS)JenniferA
I think this book is nice for children to be able to hear the rhymes and rhythms on the CD as they read along. Many times poetry needs to be read in particular rhythm and this allows children to hear that. What I liked most about this book of poetry was that the actual poets read their own poems aloud for the children to hear.
MM
Simone loves it so far -- listening to me read the poems and also hearing all the different voices on the CD. Most of these authors I don't associate with writing for children, but the selection definitely works -- some silly stuff, things that are fun to hear, little snippets.
A.B.
This book feels magical, and it makes poetry seem as magical as it is. The varied subject matter covered in the 95 included poems captures a childhood both for a young reader and an adult reader. It would be perfect to read together (or listen) and talk about afterwards.
Joy
What I love about this book is that it has the original authors (in many cases) reading the poetry. Authors like Roald Dahl and Robert Frost fill this wonderful book of poetry. I bought it to put the poetry on in the car with my little guy. So great.
Heather
This is an incredible anthology of children's poetry with a great CD accompanying it, often with the authors reading their own works, even old recordings like Langston Hughes and Robert Frost. Anna and I will read these for a long time together.
Ronna
Not the greatest selection of poems but the CD is intriguing since many of the original authors read the poems. It was fun for my children to hear the voices of famous authors like Ogden Nash, Robert Frost, Roald Dahl and Carl Sandburg.
Chris Cherney

This 2005 poetry book is a fantastic compilation of traditional and modern poems. The greatest thing is that it comes with a CD with the authors reading the poems. Many poems can be used as a kickoff to writing other poems.
Librarian40
Phenomenal, especially hearing J.R.R.Tolkein reading a poem from the Hobbit. A surprising number of the poems are read by their authors, including some that are lots older than you would think. My 5 year old likes listening to the CD.
Kiddo
This should probably be a 5 star. I didn't like all the poems, but there were some great ones and some great ones new to me. It is wonderful to have a CD. I wish the authors' names were included for each poem on the CD.
Baby Isabel
Sep 28, 2011 Baby Isabel marked it as to-read
Karen: This is a must - it has a CD with the authors reciting their poem. That CD saw us through many car rides. There is everything from Blake to Isabel, Isabel. This is really a good one.
Breana Vining
This is a great book to use for children to understand how one can use poetry to write about events that have taken place in life. Within this book are many famous authors' pieces of poetry.
Anna
Great poetry book with CD featuring many of the poets reading/performing their own work.

Hope that this one will interest my young grandsons in poetry!

We will find out this summer.
Lynn
excellent excellent excellent book of poetry for children and the child in all of us. Contains serious poems as well as the fun and goofy. Filled with great illustrations as well.
Chiska
I LOVED this collection--everything from Poe, Tolkien, to completely unheard of poets. Great illustrations. The CD with the author's reading them is fun too.
Elizabeth
We've been reading/listening to this for the past week or so. I'd give it 10 stars if I could! Hearing the poets themselves read many of the poems is simply magical.
Melanie
My kids and I really enjoyed some of the poems in this book. We, however did not like the audio version that came with it.
Chrissy
My students loved some of the poems in this book. It was nice for them to be able to listen to them too!
Paula
Excellent collections of poems for children. Classics, short and long poems.
Roy
This should be considered a mandatory purchase for all parents.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Winter Poems
  • Dogku
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • What Have You Lost?
  • Sing a Song of Popcorn: Every Child 's Book of Poems (hc): Every Child's Book Of Poems
  • Owen and Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • Science Verse
  • 180 More: Extraordinary Poems for Every Day
  • I Am the Book
  • Please Bury Me in the Library
Poetry Speaks: Hear Great Poets Read Their Work from Tennyson to Plath [with 3 CDs] Poetry Speaks Who I Am with CD: Poems of Discovery, Inspiration, Independence, and Everything Else (A Poetry Speaks Experience) Poetry Speaks Expanded: Hear Poets Read Their Own Work From Tennyson to Plath (Book w/ Audio CD) Poetry in Motion: 100 Poems from the Subways and Buses Poetry in Motion from Coast to Coast: 120 Poems from the Subways and Buses