Your Body Speaks Your Mind: Decoding the Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Messages That Underlie Illness

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  22 reviews
What are your symptoms and illnesses telling you about yourself? In Your Body Speaks Your Mind, renowned teacher and best-selling author Deb Shapiro shows you how mastering the language of your symptoms can actually increase your potential for healing. You'll discover how unresolved psycho/emotional issues can affect your physical health, how feelings and thoughts are link...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Sounds True (first published August 29th 1996)

Kerstin
Loved this book - use it regularly when helping clients to decode their body messages
Lacey
I realized that the best way for me to read this book was as a tool for self-reflection. Some of the exercises are useful for understanding yourself better. Perhaps some people are able to use it for healing and maybe I will in the future, but mostly I found some of the ideas hard to accept. I felt that the author was taking things too far, being too specific. For example, I have a hard time believing that having a sore throat means that I'm having a hard time swallowing my reality. I do however...more
Paul
This book asserts that there is a very close relationship between physical illness and the mind or emotional state. After all, the human body is a giant chemistry set; thoughts and feelings are translated into chemicals that are sent throughout the body, altering cells in a positive (or negative) way.

Stress is a part of daily life, but it needs to be released in some fashion. It's like squeezing a tube of toothpaste with the cap still on; the toothpaste will come out somewhere else. Unresolved s...more
Lesley
Moving this book to reference shelf after reading first 100 pages.

I found those 100 pages interesting, but not mind blowing. The book is written for people suffering from some kind of chronic illness who are looking for ways to address the psychology that may underlie their symptoms. I like the book's emphasis on the social/environmental/psychological components that -- if left unacknowledged or unresolved -- can contribute to or exacerbate physical pain and illness.

The next hundred or so page...more
Georgeta

"All your thoughts and feelings get translated into chemicals that fire off throughout your body, altering the chemical composition and behavior of your cells."

If you have ever wondered how emotions affect the body, then read this book. Not only will you be able to understand your symptoms, you will also know how to eradicate them. This book contains many answers, especially to the following questions:

How to carry information from the mind to the body?
Do all diseases have their origin in the...more
Monty
This book does a comprehensive job of addressing the mind/body connection and interaction. There are numerous places in the book where she has the reader experience an internal dialogue with a body part or function. An hour long CD that came with the book includes two guided visualizations. One is Talking with your Body, and the other is Bodymind Appreciation. I especially liked the talking with your body because it including communicating with a part or function of the body that is causing diff...more
Khuram Malik
Great book on explaining the body-mind connection, however, i had difficulty in following the healing practises, and wish i had some more help on this. I dont think its the fault of the author, more to do with my understanding. That said, i did manage to use some techniques successfully and have noticed some improvements in some areas.
Nancy
So many of us live in our heads and escape out emotions in our bodies. This is in effect a users guide to your body and emotions. There are pointers to help you understand what your body is telling you. Great in conjunction with restorative yoga practice - see Bo Forbes on anxiety & depression - or autogenic therapy.
Jen
When I found this book in the bookstore, I nearly crumbled in the aisle. It was the first piece of literature that confirmed my intuition about my rapidly developing health issues, and the book that helped me plunge into my healing processes beyond the physical level. Thanks Deborah!
Heather
I constantly use this book as a reference for myself and loved ones!! Its proven itself through the years time and time again. Its a way to learn how to listen to your body and take the time for self healing. Its kept me healthy and aware of my stress level. Invaluable information.
Deb
Apr 20, 2011 Deb marked it as to-read
*Just* got this book and the brief foray into it has me enthralled. I think this is going to be an amazing resource for self-healing, or at least understanding some of what may be happening in the body when dealing with any kind of illness.
Noha  Al-Yahya
قرأته أثناء سفري (باللغة العربية) واستمتعت به وشخصت الكثير مما أعاني منه ويعاني منه غيري.
لكنه في النهاية معتمد على التطبيق الخاص بكل فصل.. وهو محور الاستفادة،
لأنه يصف طريقة الاسترخاء والاستماع إلى الجسد.

أنصح بقراءته وتطبيقه
Valerie
Good reference book .. not exactly sure if it's based on the meridians or associated with chinese medicine.. I borrowed it from a holistic health center I worked at so the recommendation from the owner was good enough for me.
Lindy
This books help spiritual companions to focus on the mind, body, spirit connection and grow in listening to the BODY WISDOM that is within each of us.
Rachelle
Never-thought-of associations with bodily pain and your thoughts. Insightful.
Stella
The effect of emotions on physiological health.
Sally
Mar 29, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read
Shelves: health
(nearly entire) limited preview on google books
Anna
Very informative. Learnt a lot from it.
Hannan

اغلبيه المعلومات مكررة للأسف
Maria del Pilar
A little more about how my body works
Andrea
Really interesting.
Sorensenjp
LOVE LOVE this book
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Julie Webber
Julie Webber marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Laurin Machado
Laurin Machado marked it as to-read
Fatma
Fatma marked it as to-read
Tami Bacskay
Tami Bacskay marked it as to-read
Joweelove
Joweelove marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Your Body Speaks Your Mind: Understanding how your emotions and thoughts affect you physically Bodymind Workbook Healing Mind, Healing Body: Explaining How the Mind and Body Work Together Bridging the Golden Gate Women Talk: Jewish Women Around The World Speak About Their Lives, Challenges, And Accomplishments