Start by marking “Your Body Speaks Your Mind: Decoding the Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Messages That Underlie Illness” as Want to Read:

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  244 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
What are your symptoms and illnesses telling you about yourself? In Your Body Speaks Your Mind, renowned teacher and best-selling author Deb Shapiro shows you how mastering the language of your symptoms can actually increase your potential for healing. You'll discover how unresolved psycho/emotional issues can affect your physical health, how feelings and thoughts are link ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Sounds True (first published August 29th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Your Body Speaks Your Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Body Speaks Your Mind

Lacey
Aug 18, 2010 Lacey rated it liked it
Shelves: new-age
I realized that the best way for me to read this book was as a tool for self-reflection. Some of the exercises are useful for understanding yourself better. Perhaps some people are able to use it for healing and maybe I will in the future, but mostly I found some of the ideas hard to accept. I felt that the author was taking things too far, being too specific. For example, I have a hard time believing that having a sore throat means that I'm having a hard time swallowing my reality. I do however ...more
Kristin
Jun 30, 2015 Kristin rated it it was ok
Shelves: yoga
Required reading for a yoga training I attended. I think the book has some valid points about the power of positive thinking as it relates to our physical and spiritual wellness and how the three (mental health, spiritual health, physical health) are all integrated and not separate from each other as our Western beliefs make us believe.

Where the book fell short for me was two aspects: One was the "testimonials". Too many of the testimonials read like an excerpt from a tabloid magazine. The seco
Terry Hansen
Apr 16, 2015 Terry Hansen rated it it was amazing
Didn't read the complete book. More of a reference book for health issues that may arise.
Kerstin
Apr 18, 2012 Kerstin rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - use it regularly when helping clients to decode their body messages
Paul
Jan 29, 2011 Paul rated it it was amazing
This book asserts that there is a very close relationship between physical illness and the mind or emotional state. After all, the human body is a giant chemistry set; thoughts and feelings are translated into chemicals that are sent throughout the body, altering cells in a positive (or negative) way.

Stress is a part of daily life, but it needs to be released in some fashion. It's like squeezing a tube of toothpaste with the cap still on; the toothpaste will come out somewhere else. Unresolved s
Lesley
Jul 24, 2008 Lesley rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
Moving this book to reference shelf after reading first 100 pages.

I found those 100 pages interesting, but not mind blowing. The book is written for people suffering from some kind of chronic illness who are looking for ways to address the psychology that may underlie their symptoms. I like the book's emphasis on the social/environmental/psychological components that -- if left unacknowledged or unresolved -- can contribute to or exacerbate physical pain and illness.

The next hundred or so page
Georgeta
Apr 20, 2009 Georgeta rated it it was amazing

"All your thoughts and feelings get translated into chemicals that fire off throughout your body, altering the chemical composition and behavior of your cells."

If you have ever wondered how emotions affect the body, then read this book. Not only will you be able to understand your symptoms, you will also know how to eradicate them. This book contains many answers, especially to the following questions:

How to carry information from the mind to the body?
Do all diseases have their origin in the
Monty
Jan 09, 2011 Monty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does a comprehensive job of addressing the mind/body connection and interaction. There are numerous places in the book where she has the reader experience an internal dialogue with a body part or function. An hour long CD that came with the book includes two guided visualizations. One is Talking with your Body, and the other is Bodymind Appreciation. I especially liked the talking with your body because it including communicating with a part or function of the body that is causing diff ...more
Jessica Charles
Jan 07, 2016 Jessica Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book explaining the effects of thoughts and emotions our the body. The author refers to many areas of the body and illness.
Navanath Sriyuksiri
Mar 27, 2016 Navanath Sriyuksiri rated it it was amazing
This book is a must specially if you are a healer.
Tracy Gaughan
Nov 24, 2015 Tracy Gaughan rated it it was ok
Some truths but mostly psychobabble
Bev
Apr 07, 2016 Bev rated it it was ok
Couldn't hold my interest. Jumped around a lot, and some of the theories as to why we have pain or a problem somewhere in our body sounded a bit wonky to me. I'm just saying.....
Khuram Malik
Feb 08, 2010 Khuram Malik rated it really liked it
Great book on explaining the body-mind connection, however, i had difficulty in following the healing practises, and wish i had some more help on this. I dont think its the fault of the author, more to do with my understanding. That said, i did manage to use some techniques successfully and have noticed some improvements in some areas.
Nancy
Jul 04, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
So many of us live in our heads and escape out emotions in our bodies. This is in effect a users guide to your body and emotions. There are pointers to help you understand what your body is telling you. Great in conjunction with restorative yoga practice - see Bo Forbes on anxiety & depression - or autogenic therapy.
Jen
Feb 20, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
When I found this book in the bookstore, I nearly crumbled in the aisle. It was the first piece of literature that confirmed my intuition about my rapidly developing health issues, and the book that helped me plunge into my healing processes beyond the physical level. Thanks Deborah!
Heather
Sep 22, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I constantly use this book as a reference for myself and loved ones!! Its proven itself through the years time and time again. Its a way to learn how to listen to your body and take the time for self healing. Its kept me healthy and aware of my stress level. Invaluable information.
Carrie
Jul 20, 2015 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: yoga, yogafit
Required reading for Level 5 YogaFit Training. While I think that there is a connection between the mind and the body, my personal feeling is that many of the correlations noted in this book are a bit far-fetched. So, I read with a grain of salt.

Deb
Apr 20, 2011 Deb marked it as to-read
*Just* got this book and the brief foray into it has me enthralled. I think this is going to be an amazing resource for self-healing, or at least understanding some of what may be happening in the body when dealing with any kind of illness.
Noha  Al-Yahya
قرأته أثناء سفري (باللغة العربية) واستمتعت به وشخصت الكثير مما أعاني منه ويعاني منه غيري.
لكنه في النهاية معتمد على التطبيق الخاص بكل فصل.. وهو محور الاستفادة،
لأنه يصف طريقة الاسترخاء والاستماع إلى الجسد.

أنصح بقراءته وتطبيقه
Valerie
Good reference book .. not exactly sure if it's based on the meridians or associated with chinese medicine.. I borrowed it from a holistic health center I worked at so the recommendation from the owner was good enough for me.
Lindy
Aug 20, 2011 Lindy rated it really liked it
This books help spiritual companions to focus on the mind, body, spirit connection and grow in listening to the BODY WISDOM that is within each of us.
Rachelle
Feb 05, 2009 Rachelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never-thought-of associations with bodily pain and your thoughts. Insightful.
Stella
Jan 26, 2008 Stella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The effect of emotions on physiological health.
Sally
Mar 29, 2009 Sally marked it as to-read
Shelves: health
(nearly entire) limited preview on google books
Anna
Dec 07, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. Learnt a lot from it.
Hannan
Sep 13, 2012 Hannan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

اغلبيه المعلومات مكررة للأسف
Maria del Pilar
A little more about how my body works
Andrea
May 09, 2013 Andrea rated it really liked it
Really interesting.
Sorensenjp
Feb 24, 2008 Sorensenjp rated it really liked it
LOVE LOVE this book
Mandy L.J
Mandy L.J marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • The Fragrant Mind: Aromatherapy for Personality, Mind, Mood and Emotion
  • The Meditation Bible: The Definitive Guide to Meditations for Every Purpose
  • A Practical Guide to Vibrational Medicine: Energy Healing and Spiritual Transformation
  • The Complete Illustrated Holistic Herbal: Safe and Practical Guide to Making and Using Herbal Remedies
  • Hygieia: A Woman's Herbal
  • Depressed and Anxious: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression and Anxiety
  • The Tunnel and the Light: Essential Insights on Living and Dying
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • Energy Medicine for Women: Aligning Your Body's Energies to Boost Your Health and Vitality
  • Slice of Organic Life
  • Crystal Power, Crystal Healing: The Complete Handbook
  • Your Body Is Your Subconscious Mind
  • Life Disrupted: Getting Real About Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties
  • Guided Mindfulness Meditation
  • Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit: Restoring Emotional and Mental Balance with Essential Oils
  • The Disappearing Girl: Learning the Language of Teenage Depression
  • My Mother, Your Mother: Embracing "Slow Medicine," the Compassionate Approach to Caring for Your Aging Loved Ones
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression: A Step-by-Step Program