Start by marking “The Alzheimer's Prevention Program: Keep Your Brain Healthy for the Rest of Your Life” as Want to Read:

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Want to keep Alzheimer's at bay for years--ideally, forever? Prevention is the way, and this is the guide. Now in paperback and updated throughout, "The Alzheimer's Prevention Program" is essential for everyone with a family history of Alzheimer's, and for the 80 million baby boomers who worry whenever they forget someone's name. It's the book that shows how to strengthen ...more
Published December 11th 2012 by Workman Publishing (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Alzheimer's Prevention Program, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alzheimer's Prevention Program

Dr. Small is a leader in Alzheimer's research, and shares the latest studies and their findings. His program to stave off Alzheimer's symptoms is based on this research, but is itself good old fashioned common sense: eat right, exercise, calm down, and use your brain. I loved that he included self assessments for all those areas, including two memory assessments, so the reader can see where they need to make the most changes. (Each category has sub-groups, so it is not just memory; there are var ...more
David
Gary Small writes that the only "cure" for Alzheimer's disease is prevention. The purpose of his book is to help the reader understand how to delay the onset of the disease and its symptoms. The book focuses on several factors that may help delay the disease: strengthening memory skills, physical exercise, nutrition, mental workouts, keeping socially engaged, and stress reduction. Each of these components may help reduce the risk of debilitating symptoms of Alzheimer's.

Now, each of these compone
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
A well organized, easy to read (and skim) book on ways to prevent Alzheimer's. It includes advice on diet, physical fitness, memory tests, and mental exercises to help memory and retention. As well, there is an extensive bibliography.

Included is information on the what they do know about the disease: what are its known causes, the known statistics around one's genetic propensity for getting the disease, and statistics regarding one of the newest drug used in the treatment of Alzheimer's.

This is
Amorgan
Good book with a straight-forward approach to preventing or slowing down development of Alzheimer's Disease and other dementia diseases.

Diet:
complex carbos and whole grains
Omega 3's protect DHA in the brain against plaques: fish or chicken twice each week: (wild salmon canned or fresh, halibut, herring, whitefish, cod, shrimp, white meat chicken, olive oil

antioxidant fruits 3.5 oz serving, highest concentrations of antioxidants (ORAC units) are in fruits listed first (cranberries 9100 units, bla
Donald
Very interesting read for anyone who fears Alzheimer's in their future.Like
many recent Preventions books, this book explodes the myth that your genes completely
map your future. The most important thing I took away from this book is that you need to control your own mental destiny through physical exercise, low fat/sugar/sodium diet and using mental
puzzles and exercises daily. I highly recommend this book, although the suggested recipes
are not as aggressive as i would have liked.
Ruth
Holly
This isn't something I could read cover to cover. The beginning had a lot of good information about how the brain works and what Alzheimer's and dementia does to the brain. Most of it though, was the actual program which was aimed toward baby boomers, but anyone at any age can use it. There are tips on what to eat, get plenty of exercise and lots of memory games and puzzles to keep your brain in tip-top shape. I'm not quite ready to do the program, but would like to buy the book for my mother wh ...more
Melanie
Very interesting information on different studies that have been done for Alzheimer's research and on brain function. The recommendations to keep your body and brain healthy seemed obvious to me, but I guess many people need some one to point out unhealthy lifestyle habits. I would definitely recommend reading the book if dementia and/or Alzheimer's is a concern. I will be doing some new puzzles for my brain!
Wendy
I think I must have read about this book in a New York Times article sometime. I can't evaluate it for the lay audience; for me it wasn't useful or particularly interesting. It's written in a very accessible style, which is appropriate, but didn't engage me. Mostly, it says the best way to prevent Alzheimer's is to stay in good health in general (diet, exercise, manage stress).
Robin
If you want to do everything you can to prevent Alzheimer's and have no idea how to start, this is a good book for you.

I found the book a bit tedious. I already know 1) how to eat a healthy diet, 2) the value of exercise, and 3) how to keep my mind active and sharp(all of which which help prevent Alzheimer's). For me, the book didn't add much to my knowledge.

Robert Luebke
I am giving this book a 5 because of the importance of the information presented. Dr. Gary Small presents the existing
Scientific studies of the foods that are beneficial to possible prevention of Alzheimer's. It also presents the advantages for doing physical
exercise and mental exercises on the brain as well as different vitamins or supplements.
Betsy Curlin
This book, written by a UCLA researcher at the Center for Longevity, is an informative and insightful work on Alzheimer's disease. It not only examines the symptoms and progression of the disease, but also details a comprehensive program for preventing and slowing the progress of Alzheimer's disease.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
What I liked about the Alzheimer’s Prevention Program defined the illness in a language that was easily understandable. It gives a clear history of the disease and talks about how in 1906 Alois Alzheimer presented the first report of the disease that was later named after him.
Marcia
I attended a talk by the author recently. He has great depth of knowledge about AlZheimer's and continues to study this disease. Halfway through the book and finding much good information .
Karen
Common sense read. Author, Dr Gary Small is telling us how to stay healthy in every way, which matters to your brain, big time. If we would all just listen!
Bud
Good summary of the facts and fiction about Alzheimer's and ways to keep your brain tuned.
Dewayne Stark
mostly a reread but there was some interesting ideas about BMI and impulse control.
David Carroll
David Carroll marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Johnathon
Johnathon marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Mandie Pendola
Mandie Pendola is currently reading it
May 12, 2015
D. Wong
D. Wong marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Judy Lindow
Judy Lindow marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Bratnoser
Bratnoser is currently reading it
Mar 16, 2015
Cindy Tucker
Cindy Tucker marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Interior Design with Feng Shui
  • The Thich Nhat Hanh Collection:  Peace is Every Step; Teachings on Love; The Stone Boy and Other Stories
  • Marilyn Monroe: The Final Years
  • 30 Perfect Popcorn Recipes : How to Make Sweet & Savory Gourmet Popcorn at Home (The Green Gourmet)
  • Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force
  • Harriet Tubman: The Road to Freedom
  • The Best Care Possible: A Physician's Quest to Transform Care Through the End of Life
  • Lucretia and the Kroons
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation
  • Just a Guy: Notes from a Blue Collar Life
  • P.S.-- I Made This . . .(PS I Made This): I See It. I Like It. I Make It.
  • Vegan Fire & Spice: 200 Sultry and Savory Global Recipes
  • All My Patients Kick and Bite: More Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • Vegan for the Holidays
  • The Way to God
  • The Competitive Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Guide to Running 5Ks through Marathons
  • Emotions
The Naked Lady Who Stood on Her Head: A Psychiatrist's Stories of His Most Bizarre Cases The Other Side of the Couch: A Psychiatrist Solves His Most Unusual Cases iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind The Memory Bible: An Innovative Strategy for Keeping Your Brain Young Improve Your Memory Now: Maximize Your Brain Power