Start by marking “Spud - Learning to Fly” as Want to Read:
Spud - Learning to Fly

Spud - Learning to Fly (Spud #3)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,260 ratings  ·  76 reviews
As Spud Milton continues his diabolical stagger through adolescence, he learns one of life's most important lessons: when dealing with women and cretins, nothing is ever quite as it seems. 'I'm practically a man in most areas, ' writes Spud confidently on his sixteenth birthday. The year is 1992 and, as always in South Africa, radical change is in the air. The country may ...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Sa Penguin (first published June 10th 2009)

Liza
Spud returns.

This book series is starting to look like some kind of SA version of Harry Potter, with Michaelhouse instead of Hogwarts (minus the girls and wand waving of course).

The book certainly has a lot of charm and is wrought with nostalgia for the days of teenage mayhem and angst. But it does lack the unabashed zaniness of the first book, where all the characters were introduced. The first book was an absolute scream, the other two were merely funny.

The books are also getting a bit more
Emi
Quintin Merwe
The only bit I'll say about this book (on top of what I've already said about the first two) is that I actually went and bought this book the day after I finished number two... Just had to read the rest.

I hope that John is going to release another book in this serious - it feels unfinished....

Very funny once again and I appreciate the say that the writer jokes around in a clever enough way that I don't feel like I'm being spoon fed the funny bits. I can imagine that some people might not catch
Shirley
Once again, a beautifully written story by John van de Ruit. I thoroughly ejoyed the whole series. It was interesting to read how Spud grew and matured into a fine young man. I was surprised to find myself shedding a tear or two at the end of this book. I sincerely hope that John will be giving us more of the adventures of Spud Milton!
Stefan
And the boy becomes the man...the student becomes the teacher...this story just inspires you to be alive
Luke
Another amazing spud book.
Sandra Visser
Ifahh
I personally hate diary-like entries in books, but the Spud trilogy is something different. It really really is a hilarious read. I disliked the Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging because it was all centred on the protagonist, but this book was all-rounded. It showed about friendship and Spud's daily struggles. (Though I admit I skipped parts on when he played cricket -- that part bored me to death)
But overall, I absolutely loved reading about Spud from book 1 and look forward to future books ab
Amber Lombard
I loved this book especially out of the others becuase they brought in a new character, Garth Garlic who is very....annoying and needy. This adds a whole new side to the story. John also has to deal with his friend mad dog being sxpelled last year and his crazy family who not a very sane one. I recommend all the spud books if you are a beginner of reading or if you just enjoy humour and highschool life.
Nisarg
Like all the previous 'Spud' books, Learning to fly not only constantly remains funny but also surpasses all of them in every terms. Personally, this one might be my favourite instalment in the series. It not only remains impishly funny but the characters have developed and matured. John Van De Ruit has developed all the individual characters into something much more interesting and has brought in a twist with many a few members of 'The Crazy 8.' The author has a beautiful thought process and hi ...more
Robert
I disagree with those reviewers who maintain that 2 and 3 disappoint. Spud is a real teenager in these books, and the teen-psychology and claustrophobic school atmosphere are wonderfully portrayed. MUCH better than Harry Potter! I hope books 2 and 3 will be filmed: "Spud" was wonderful! And I look forward to book no. 4!
Kailash Maharaj
I have been after this book for a while. I have become a fan of Spud Milton and his growing-up angst and related to the youngster. I enjoyed this book but some of the magic of its predecessors was missing. I look forward to the fourth book.
Wanda Hartzenberg
I could not believe that the trials of a few very badly behaved boys could have me laughing out loud and then crying a few pages later. This is a must read and probably my favourite book in the series.
Judith Brink
Like the previous two books it was a good laugh. I can't wait for the movie to come out.
There is a new character and a whole new experiance fort he crazy eight in this book. A great fun read.
Layla Rohan
3 of 3... Again, a brilliant read! I was very sad on finishing this book purely because there were no more books in the series. I would definitely re-read!
Angelika Brzozowska
Great book. Was quite as funny as the first and second one with more twists and turns of funnyness. found it quite good :)
Elzaan
the boys are to big now, not full of pranks and stuff like that anymore. but I guess everybody should grow up
Riana
The adventures of Spud and his buddies continue. His third school year at Michaelhouse brings a grand Shakespearian play, an unforgettable farm vacation, feats and failures on the sports field and awkward encounters with ex-girlfriends. As if this is not enough, his father secretly dives into a crazy business venture with a friend and Spud is often thankful for leaving his family members at home during the school term.

This installment is a bit less dramatic and fast-paced than "Spud: The Madnes
Sheridan
A total scream, as were the other Spud books. This series is very close to my heart, as it's the school that my dad went to that its set in - MichaelHouse. Despite the fact that this is set in the early 90s, I know that the chaos, misadventure, and shenanigans are very similar to how things were when my dad was there - but with a little less cruelty nowadays I think! Vern, Garlic, Mr Owen and the Guv.....awesome characters. I will never hear the word Malawi without remembering Garlic and Lake Ma ...more
Mpumi Sithole
Exhilarating, i wish I was a boy:-)
Rebekah Rochester
I picked this book off my local library shelf a couple of years ago without knowing anything about Spud, without having ever watched a Troye Sivan video and definitely without knowing that there was a film adaptation. And 100 pages later, I was hooked!

Now, rereading it, I love this book even more. I holds a special place in my heart because it was the one which introduced me into the fandom (I subscribed to Troye before I knew he was an actor, so imagine my utter JOY when I discovered that these
Travispug
I absolutely love these books and thank divine intervention or some sort of miracle for letting me discover them. I love the Crazy Eight. They seem so unreal yet real altogether. The shenanigans they create and the ones they go through are unbelievable, yet something you can imagine being completely plausible if you yourself were at an all boy private boarding school. I enjoy the character that is Spud. It's rare I find a literary character I can relate and bond so easily with. I'm not speaking ...more
Ame
Reading this book was a bitter-sweet moment for me....bitter in that the Spud Milton diaries were coming to an end, and sweet because I LOOOOVE the wayJohn Van De Ruit portrays this Spud lad. I actually once believed that this was some sort of autobiography and the fact that it was pure fiction.....it amazes me to date.
Giselle
Un-put-downable. Charming and entertaining, I was transported through Spud's adventures with him, finding myself nostalgic after my own school days. The characters are engaging in their own unique ways, keeping the reader laughing and often incredulous at their adventures.
David Fick
I just finished reading Spud: Learning to Fly, the most recent in the series of Spud books. This latest one is better than the second book, and almost achieves the balance of adventure, schoolboy fun and poignancy that made the first book so effective.
Roxane Lapa
Book 3 of the Spud saga. John Milton's third year at boarding school is not as funny as his first and second, largely owing to the authors obsession with giving a blow by blow of every boring play rehearsal, but even so, it was still pretty good. Looking forward to the fourth.
Armand Heine
It's sorta funny. But drama filled, in a way. A humorous book called 'Fox of Belfast' is funnier, but it's exclusive to Wattpad.
Joe Clifford
this is such a brilliant book, its a shame that there is only one more book to read before the series is over.
Devon Ray
Although I loved the first two books more, it was still a hilarious and very good book...
Elisabeth
Apr 03, 2014 Elisabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any South African who was a teenager in the late 80's, early 90's
Recommended to Elisabeth by: Alex' friend Alice
Shelves: 2014
So bittersweet. Spud is growing up. His family continue crazy, he still doesn't understand girls (not completely on him because they are very strange), he's higher up on the school totem pole but not really scotfree yet. I love that we're getting a real sense of some of the other characters - I'd love to know what is going on with Rambo becos he's really cultivating an enigmatic bad boy image, I really want someone to come out and tell us that Vern is Asperger like or something becos this really ...more
  • Jock of the Bushveld
  • The Last Domino
  • The Book of Ralph: A Novel
  • The Whale Caller: A Novel
  • The Real Meal Revolution
  • Some of My Best Friends are White: Subversive Thoughts from an Urban Zulu Warrior
  • The Racist's Guide to the People of South Africa
  • The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family
  • Shirley, Goodness & Mercy: A Childhood in Africa
  • Teenage Rewrite
  • Good Morning, Mr. Mandela: A Memoir
  • Thirteen Hours (Benny Griessel, #2)
  • What We Remember, What We Forget: The Best Young Writers and Artists in America
  • Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film about The Grapes of Wrath
John Howard van de Ruit is a South African novelist, actor, playwright and producer. He has been a professional actor, playwright and producer since 1998. He was born in Durban and educated at Michaelhouse, where he stayed in Founders House and from where he matriculated in 1993. He then went on to complete a Masters degree in Drama and Performance at the then University of Natal.

He is best known
More about John van de Ruit...

Spud (4 books)
  • Spud (Spud, #1)
  • Spud: The Madness Continues
  • Spud: Exit, Pursued by a Bear
Spud (Spud, #1) Spud: The Madness Continues Spud: Exit, Pursued by a Bear Spud: Journal The Making of Spud the Movie

“i'm learning that life frequently does this to me. first it offers you an impossible challenge. which you can't refuse. then it breaks your spirit by messing with your ballpoint pen. these may seem like isolated events that can be explained away as coincidences, but i fear not. it's happened far too often to me to be a coincidence. it's this kind of thing that convinces me that i'm not going to make forty and my death will most probably be humiliating and painful - a death that people will still laugh about in three hundred years' time. one day i'm going to sift through every single entry of all my diaries and mark down how many times a stroke of 'bad luck' has followed the issuing of severe test in my life . . .” 0 likes