Start by marking “Ivan the Heartless” as Want to Read:
Ivan the Heartless

Ivan the Heartless

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  308 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Forced to find shelter from foul weather, Ivan and his bodyguard stop at an inn only to find they have interrupted a wedding celebration. Invited to join them, Ivan contributes to the celebration by way of a story about things being more than they seem …

This is a story posted for free on my website, turned into an ebook for the convenience of those who asked. Thank you for
ebook
Published December 12th 2012 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about Ivan the Heartless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivan the Heartless

Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneDuck! by Kim DareCinder by Marie SextonThe Pedlar and the Bandit King by Kirby CrowThe Student Prince by FayJay
Best Gay books based on fairytales
36th out of 143 books — 327 voters
Captive Prince by C.S. PacatLuck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingLord of the White Hell, Book 1 by Ginn Hale
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
198th out of 512 books — 966 voters

More lists with this book...

M'rella
Самый аккуратный пересказ русских сказок на данный момент, имхо (минус слэш, есессно). Автору - экстра звезда за тщательное изучание иностранной литературы и правильное написание имен :D
Наконец-то сбылась мечта идиота - прочитать рассказ без многочисленных WTF моментов из-за корявого русского.
Жаль только, что коротенько и слэшу маловато.

Very nice interpretation of Russian folk tales. It was great to see how close the story is to the originals, sans the slash bits, of course :D
Too bad it's very
Heller
Feb 19, 2013 Heller rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, free-online
A lovely story within a story. I enjoy Derr's writing style. This was very short but I really enjoyed it.
Victoria Zagar
Ivan and his bodyguard stop at an inn and tell their tale to a group of revelers at a wedding feast; a tale of how things are not what they seem to be at first sight.

I really did enjoy this sweet little story which is apparently a retelling of a Russian folk tale. The m/m content is fairly light and there's no sex, yet the emotion in these pages is deep and sincere. I really did feel for Ivan as he fought to save his friends from the curse, and cringed along with him at the final act he undertoo
Kati
Jan 13, 2013 Kati rated it liked it
A freebie. A fairy tale about a prince who went on a quest to save three cursed friends. Sweet. The tone, the style really reminded me of old children stories, only the prince fell in love with a man here.
Erin
Jan 26, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it
Oh, how I wish this was longer. I would have loved to have watched the story unfold. It would have been even more magical than this short...I love Megan!
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
May 18, 2014 Adrienne -kocham czytać- rated it it was amazing
I loved it. Loved it. Megan Derr is amazing. I adore good stories set in medieval worlds filled with magic like hers.

This work was short, but powerful and enchanting. I realized what was going on early in the story, but enjoyed it all the same, and still am wearing a smile. Highly recommended.
Lizzie
Aug 27, 2014 Lizzie rated it liked it
Imaginative, short, an all around nice fairytale. Barely a m/m romance and not really sure if it was intended to be.
Deeze
Jul 24, 2014 Deeze rated it really liked it
Another short but interesting little fairytale.

Wish these were around when I was a child lol.
Susana
Aug 27, 2015 Susana rated it liked it
blub
A great short free story. I loved it when it was just posted on her blog and I love even more so since it's now in ebook format. I wished it was longer so it could be more detailed though so readers could read the whole story of Tsar Grey and Ivan the Heartless instead of reading the retelling from Ivan at the wedding celebration.
Lady*M
Dec 18, 2012 Lady*M rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m-romance
Lovely retelling of Russian folk-tale.

Read Mammarella's review. If you don't understand Russian parts: she praises correctly spelled Russian names and how close Derr's interpretation is to the original.
Teetee
Sep 02, 2014 Teetee rated it it was amazing
This story was lovely, it reminded me of the fairytales and parables I used to sit and read on the library floors when I was young. Often it’s written in an old style storytelling manner, and I especially like the part where our goodhearted Ivan asks his friends to help, giving his ‘strength’ to his wolf, his ‘honor’ to his mare, and his ‘heart’ to the phoenix each for safekeeping. One of these, in the end, decides to ‘keep’ his gift; I’m sure you can guess which one. We don’t get much of a roma ...more
Bookwatcher
Mar 08, 2014 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, short-story, free
Beautiful
Romantic
For free

Loved it, and those are the reasons I'm giving 5 stars to this fairy-tale. Loved it :-)
Adriana
As with every story by Megan Derr... I always want more.
Rissa
Feb 01, 2015 Rissa rated it it was amazing
I just love this author's fairytales! <3
I had never heard of this story before!
I also want more! I'm just glad that there are so many stories of this author that I haven't read yet! I definitely won't be opposed to reading more of this world or of stories with riddles such as this! :)
Rauli
Jun 16, 2016 Rauli rated it it was ok
I think i may be reading too much Megan Derr... but I like her voice.
H.V. Corbin
Another great fairy-tale based short from Megan Derr. Simply stellar.
Dumbledore11214
Dec 25, 2012 Dumbledore11214 rated it really liked it
I can only second Mamarella's and LadyM reviews. Perfectly researched Russian names (no, sadly this is not always the case, far from it), which not only spelled pretty much perfectly, but which change as they have to or do not change when they should not.

Excellent retelling of the fairy tale, which are actually two stories -some tales have the wedding story as a completely separate tale, but weaved together perfectly.

I only wish it was much much longer.
Sierra
May 20, 2016 Sierra rated it really liked it
The fairytale quality of the story is beautiful and the tale is clever. The mystery/twist of the wedding party is well done. Derr excels at this kind of short-but-full work.
Lillian Francis
Mar 30, 2015 Lillian Francis rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Enjoyable free short. Liked the style of writing and would most certain give Ms Derr's other fantasy books a go based on this story.

garnetyuna
Dec 29, 2012 garnetyuna rated it liked it
Only 3 stars 'cause it was too short! (>w<)
Rachel
Dec 31, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read
Shelves: unread-mm
*downloaded free on ARE
Carey
Nov 03, 2014 Carey rated it really liked it
Very cute :)
Aura Steel
Aura Steel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Pallavi Dubey
Pallavi Dubey rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Xelly
Xelly rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Ili Anna
Ili Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Czaffex
Czaffex rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
  • The Novelty Maker
  • Cleanly Wrong
  • Cupid's Beau
  • The Storyteller
  • Firesong
  • Friction (Dominion, #0.1)
  • Goblins, Book One
  • The Luxury of Vengeance
  • Private Dicks: Undercovers
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Cartoon Logic
  • Good Breeding
  • Seedy Business (HardCell, #0.5)
  • Dracones
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com