Start by marking “All Through The Night” as Want to Read:
All Through The Night

All Through The Night (Alvirah and Willy #3)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  5,758 Ratings  ·  197 Reviews
Fans of Mary Higgins Clark and cosy mysteries will relish this Christmas confection. Unlike her previous holiday novel, Silent Night, All Through the Night is virtually free of life-and-death crime. Rather, it is a Dickensian tale of good deeds rewarded and crimes punished.

The wintry story begins on the Upper West Side of Manhattan with 18-year-old Sondra Lewis, an aspiri

Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about All Through The Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Through The Night

LuAnn
Jul 13, 2012 LuAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
In some circles, this book would be considered a novella because of the length, but don’t let that fool you. This is a complete story that will equal any book of twice as many pages.
Alvirah Meehan is back to use her amateur sleuth skills to solve yet another mystery. This time, it begins when a baby is left at the doorstep of a church and the thief who is there to steal a treasured chalice takes the newborn home with him. He raises the girl as his own, but years later, the mother returns and tri
Ashlee Telschow
Lybo Buchanan
Aug 10, 2014 Lybo Buchanan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
An Alvirah & Willy mystery revolving around a precious stolen church chalice & a newborn left on the steps of the church.
Amy
Jan 15, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this type of book is why I stopped reading Mary Higgins Clark...It was so cheesy!!
Jan
Dec 03, 2009 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, own-copy
This book was a gift from a dear friend; I would never have bought it for myself. While I enjoyed Mary Higgins Clark many, many years ago, her sappy, HEA, light-hearted stories are not my usual fare. They are, however, great mind candy and fulfill the need too read a Christmas book. I didn't warm to Alvirah's character for some reason, although I think she and her husband, Wally, are clearly a devoted couple and Wally suffers his wife's intrusion into anything she considers a mystery. The sunbur ...more
Carol
Mar 01, 2015 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Quick read. Kept my interest.
Sara
I read this book for the A Book A Day Keeps the Boredom at Bay challenge. 12– 12 days of Christmas. Read a book about Christmas, Christmas songs or that has a cumulative title, like Once Bitten, Twice Shy. 12 is also the governmental perfection. Read a book with a character or author named as one of the 12 Apostles, or set in Israel. There are 12 zodiacal signs. Read a book with zodiac or one of the signs on the cover or in the title.

This is a short, sweet, predictable, fun Christmas mystery boo
Mary
Apr 27, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
A young unmarried woman leaves her newborn baby on the rectory doorstep of a church on Manhattan's Upper West Side. At that same moment, inside the church, a young man is in the process of stealing a treasured artifact - a chalice adorned with a single star-shaped diamond. Both the infant and the chalice subsequently disappear.

Seven years later, a few weeks before Christmas - lottery winner turned amateur sleuth - Alvirah Meehan and her husband Willy, are busy helping Willy's sister Cordelia - a
Kimberly Yates
Absolutely loved this diamond of a Christmas book. Ive read this one twice, with many years between both reads and reading it the second time felt familiar but completely new. A good book can do that.
This book had two situations going on throughout. One a forged will and two an infant left in a paper bag outside of a Rectory.
I really enjoyed this and it added lots of joy to my already full heart of Christmas spirit.
April
Jan 06, 2016 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the type of book I would normally read but I have to admit I enjoyed it. I picked up mostly because it was a Christmas book and relatively short. It was listed as a mystery which I tend to gravitate to so I figured I would at least like it. I fell in love with the little girl in the book as well as the couple. The couple are your normal devoted, loving, caring couple. The woman is a journalist and I identified with her in some ways. I did think the use of the pin recorder was a bit o ...more
Toni Osborne
Feb 08, 2009 Toni Osborne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this story slow, boring, and very predictable; the ending is evident from the start. I occasionally read Miss Higgins books but this one I have to admit should have stayed at the book store.
Linda
Nov 06, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, I enjoyed it and I LOVED the ending!!
Vanessa Kay
Sep 16, 2016 Vanessa Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the success of her first holiday book Silent Night, Mary Higgins Clark, America’s Queen of Suspense, introduced her second holiday suspense book All Through the Night.

The story revolves around Clark’s most beloved characters; Alvirah, a cleaning lady turned lottery winner, turned amateur sleuth, and her husband Willy.

The story begins when a woman abandoned her newborn at a Manhattan Church. Simultaneously, inside the church, a young man is stealing a treasured artifact, a chalice adorned w
Lisa
Dec 18, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as part of my Holiday Reading Challenge hosted by All About {n}. I love Holiday related novels and I have been disappointed with the Holiday novels I've chosen so far, so I decided to go with a trusted author this time.

All Through The Night was a quick, easy read. It fulfilled it's purpose and got me in the Holiday spirit. The plot was a little cheesy with Alvirah being a former cleaning lady, turned lottery winner, turned amateur sleuth having to solve two crimes in time for C
Tony
May 23, 2009 Tony rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mary Higgins Clark- All Through the Night (Simon & Schuster 1998) 2.5 Stars

This was my first Mary Higgins Clark novel and I have to say that I was not overly impressed. I will be trying other novels by her in the future, but they had better be a more enjoyable mystery than this one. The cover said, ‘suspense story’, but it was not in the least bit suspenseful. A musician gives up her baby to pursue her career, leaving it on the church doorstep. At the same time a young kid is robbing the ch
Leah
Dec 23, 2011 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages who enjoy uber sweet stories
From my review on Unleash the Flying Monkeys!

A sweet holiday tale that may prove too predictable and lighthearted for hardcore fans of the thriller-mystery genre or Higgins Clark’s previous novels.

What I Liked Most

All Through the Night had a solid beginning and ending; there were questions for which I wanted answers. I’ll admit I even teared up a bit at the end. There was a positive vibe that warmed my heart which, as a Christmas story, it was probably meant to do.

What I Liked Least

During my tee
Sol González
Comencé a leer a Mary Higgins Clark porque es una de esas autoras a las que siempre regresas cuando quieres algo sencillo y entretenido, además de que tenía todo un stock de libros por enviarle a mi mamá de ella... así que se me hizo fácil tomar uno de esos.

No había notado que Higgins Clark también tiene sus personajes recurrentes. Sus detectives aficionado encargados de resolver pequeños casos. Este fue el primer libro con el que me tope de esos personajes.

La historia es harto sencilla y muy se
Gerry
Feb 26, 2016 Gerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nowhere near as good as many of her earlier books, this one seems as if she dashed it off in an afternoon, in not much more time than it took to read it. Willy and Alvirah solve two mysteries -- reuniting a mother with the daughter she abandoned seven years earlier, and proving the falsity of a will -- and of course, all live happily ever after. Pretty trite, with no real plot development and completely flat characters.
Minkabelle
Eine nette kleine Weihnachtsgeschichte mit märchenhaften Zügen und SEHR vorhersehbarem Ende. Den Charakteren fehlte Tiefe, aber um eine solche zu schaffen, wären vielleicht mehr als knapp 200 Seiten notwendig. Wie man in der Danksagung lesen kann, ging es bei der ganzen Sache sowieso mehr um Profit, als darum, eine qualitativ hochwertige Geschichten zu veröffentlichen.
Palwascha
I picked up this book from a used book stall because I heard good things about Mary Higgins Clark. I don't think that this is a good introductory book. It was predictable from beginning to the end and childish. The characters are likable though and that is a redeeming point. Not a bad read if you just want to pass an evening.
Steve Hazell
I liked the quick easy read for the night. There is something enjoyable about getting the satisfaction of finishing s book in one short evening. However, the story was super predictable. Predictability doesn't necessitate a bad review or mean the book was bad. It was okay but just okay.
Sheila
Alvirah and Willy (the lottery winners) help solve the case of Besse's will. They end up solving a 7 yr old theft from the Rectory and reunite mother and child (child was left on the steps of the Rectory hoping that it would be found and adopted).
Short, easy read.
Janice Cafarelli
heartbreaking and finally joyful story of a young woman's struggle to find if her child is safe and happy mixed with the plight of con artist trying to take over a home that was suppose to be left to a woman by her sister. totally enjoyed the story
Linda
May 11, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic. I dearly love this book. Some parts of it was funny and I loved how the ending turn out. I could not put this book down. This book is so good. I would highly recommend this book.

I give this book 5/5 Stars on Goodreads

Jen
Dec 23, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I appreciate the sleuthing skills of Alvirah M., I am not nor have ever been a fan of busybodies. So she irks me as a character, and any story attached to her will automatically be less wonderful for me; here is no exception. Yes, it's a nice, warm, fuzzy story of familial love and the things that go bump but are eventually all right, but it felt a little flat to me. The dramatic tension wasn't thrilling, just sort of exasperating, and the weaving of the two main mysteries felt a little lo ...more
kylie
Jan 07, 2009 kylie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this is i very good book. this book was about two people with a very strong connection.this book is very intence at first i thought i wasent going to like it but i love every book from "Mary Higgins Clark" so i tried it out the beginig was a little shakey but then as i got into i began to like it. the love between theses people is unreal its almost like its to good to be true there are very much alike they have so much in common. the recovery was very blakt when her boyfriend tryed to kill her n ...more
Jami
Aug 07, 2016 Jami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Alvirah and Willy. This story brings them to help a young woman who had left a baby on the church steps years ago. It takes place at about Christmas time. I love the characters and as always the writing.
Marian
May 21, 2015 Marian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book to read during travel because it was a small book. It's a very short story set during Christmas making it a cute Holiday Story. It was predictable. No real mystery or suspense but fun and easy to read none the less.
Charlene
Jan 26, 2016 Charlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maria
"All Through the Night" is short and sweet but way less amazing than many other suspense/mystery novels I've read in the past. The twists in the plot are less powerful; there's just not enough "oomph" to it.
  • Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • The Christmas Box
  • A Christmas Secret (Christmas Stories, #4)
  • When Christmas Comes
  • Murder for Christmas
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...

Alvirah and Willy (10 books)
  • Weep No More, My Lady
  • I'll Walk Alone
  • The Lost Years
  • As Time Goes By

“live your life as if you may lose everything.” 113 likes
“Sometimes it's enough just to know that if you believe hard enough and long enough, your wishes can come true.” 1 likes