Start by marking “Shopped: The Shocking Power Of British Supermarkets” as Want to Read:
Shopped: The Shocking Power Of British Supermarkets

Shopped: The Shocking Power Of British Supermarkets

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An elegant demolition of the supermarket miracle, this book charts the impact that supermarkets have had on every aspect of our lives and culture.
Did you know! / Almost 50% of supermarket fruit and vegetables contain pesticide residues? / UK supermarkets make 40p on every GBP1 spent on bananas while plantations workers are paid just 1p? / Supermarkets instill a climate of
Unknown Binding
Published January 21st 2010 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Shopped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shopped

Lucy
I have mixed feelings about Shopped; in one sense it really has made me further question the ever ubiquitous roles supermarkets play in our life. On the other hand, I am concerned it falls into a long line of books that blames all of societies current problems on corporations.

If it was a simple as "people good, company bad" then I doubt we would be our current state of extreme picklage.

The book considers all aspects of supermarket lifes; from the well-documented ready-made "meals" to the poor q
Evelyn
Jun 25, 2011 Evelyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who shops at a supermarket
Shopped is the best book I have read so far on the evils of supermarket empires. It is set out in concise anger inducing chapters that detail every horrendous act of greed and exploitation you can imagine. If it is unethical and puts someone out of business, you can count on it being a primary practice of a supermarket. A handful of topics that Shopped covers are:

-'fake' consumer choice (not only are supermarkets generally MORE expensive than independents, they also only offer the consumer a l
Antonia
"Shopped" is an interesting book about how supermarkets operate, how they influence shopping patterns and to an increasing extent way of life. it is pacey and well written in many short chapters, hard to put down and easily applicable to one's own life - is there anyone out there who has not at least one tesco [or insert any other supermarket name here:] nearby??? that considered though ], there were not so many new facts to be found if you looked around your local area / cities and noticed what ...more
Jess Coombs
Good at the start, gets incredibly repetitive in the middle. I would probably say since this book was published in 2003 it's now dated and most already know the scandals detailed in this book, but it certainly goes a long way to explaining why Tesco tried to get away with using horsemeat, and then pretend they were none the wiser! Finished well, but I don't know if I would recommend reading it.
Denise
Joanna Blythman is my hero. I love her restaurant reviews (in the Sunday Herald) and think she writes a lot of common sense about food and our relationship with it. This book will reinforce any concerns you have about the (negative) role of the supermarkets in our lives and have you rushing to support your local producers.
Thought provoking.
Dеnnis
Absolute "must read" to anyone in any country.
Without reiterating previous reviewers I would just say that if you were pondering over investments, don't hesitate any longer - buy global retailers' shares. Chances are few and little that anyone in the coming years might oppose their expansionist growth, resulting in rising share prices.
Alan Hughes
This is a well written book; pacy and lively. It steadily caries the reader forward to a clear understanding of the damaging effect of supermarkets on our culture and society. Read it, you might never go to Tesco or Asda again.
Carly
Carly marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Trekky
Trekky marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
anotherseriouslady
anotherseriouslady marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Denise Montague
Denise Montague marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Joanna Blythman is a leading investigative food journalist and writer. To date, she has won five Glenfiddich Awards for her writing, and, in 2004, won the prestigious Derek Cooper Award, one of BBC Radio 4’s Food and Farming Awards. She contributes regularly to Observer Food Monthly, among other newspapers and magazines, and frequently broadcasts on food issues.
More about Joanna Blythman...
Bad Food Britain What to Eat: Food that’s good for your health, pocket and plate Food We Eat The Food Our Children Eat The Scotland On Sunday Guide To Eating Out In Edinburgh And Glasgow