Mikhail Bakhtin and Walter Benjamin: Experience and Form

Mikhail Bakhtin and Walter Benjamin: Experience and Form

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  2 reviews
This first comparative study of philosophers and literary theorists Mikhail Bakhtin and Walter Benjamin examines the relationship between the experience of the modern world and the forms that we use to make sense of that experience. Analyzing their views on art, habit, tradition, and language, this comparative study results in a radical reconsideration of received views ab...more
Published January 15th 2008 by Palgrave Macmillan (first published February 19th 2007)

Okan Ciftci
This is a very key and fundamental book bringing two great thinkers of 20th centuries.

As a personal experience before reading this book I read a lot Bakhtin however after reading this book I changed my direction to Benjamin.

Why these two thinkers are brought together? The answer is experiencing almost the same conditions of life and conceptualizing them through different concepts. Juxtaposing these concepts together sparkles lights in the minds of readers.

Michael
So at times I read books on performance theory to keep up with what is going on in that world. I have read and known Bakhtin for a while. (I probably referenced him 50 times in my master's thesis) I always thought that Walter Benjamin would be a good person to coalesce some ideas with Bakhtin. Mr. Murray did a good job introducing the theorist's ideas while expounding on how they can be used together with mixed results. I doubt a single soul on my friend's list would dare to read this though.
Emma Westecott
Emma Westecott marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jibran
Jibran marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Gemseeker
Gemseeker marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Jeffrey Harpeng
Jeffrey Harpeng marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Gizem Ünlü
Gizem Ünlü marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Ellery
Ellery added it
Jan 06, 2013
Ivetta
Ivetta marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2012
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2011
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2010
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2009