Start by marking “Serious Pig: An American Cook in Search of His Roots” as Want to Read:
Serious Pig: An American Cook in Search of His Roots

Serious Pig: An American Cook in Search of His Roots

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In this collection of essays, John Thorne sets our to explore the origins of his identity as a cook, going "here" (the Maine coast, where he'd summered as a child and returned as an adult for a decade's sojourn), "there" (southern Louisiana, where he was captivated by Creole and Cajun cooking), and "everywhere" (where he provides a sympathetic reading of such national culi ...more
Published November 15th 1996 by North Point Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Serious Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serious Pig

Chadwick
Jul 05, 2007 Chadwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks
Shelves: food
I read this book again and again. I use it in the kitchen more than almost any other text, not only for the recipes but for the well-thought out approach to craft that Thorne shares throughout all of these essays. His basic clam chowder is one of the finest things that I have ever made, and despite my growing up in Southwest Louisiana, this book's Yankee author taught me how to make the best jambalaya I have ever tasted.
Jkcain
Jan 20, 2008 Jkcain rated it it was amazing
Bean holes, smoked meats, and pancakes. Best book about food I have read.
Lisa
Apr 04, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Thorne is one of my favorite food writers. He’s been doing it long before it was fashionable-or profitable! His first book, Simple Cooking, is out of print, but I credit it for awakening me to the delight of the kitchen. So, I am doing my part in trying to create a larger audience for him. He also publishes a newsletter/website, The Outlaw Cook, which is chock full of fun stuff. You will get insights, recipes, and food lore all wrapped up in delicious writing. Check him out!
Bryan
Jul 23, 2011 Bryan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too much serious; not enough pig. This book longs to be taken seriously. It begs for it. The end result is a pretentious work that has some interesting recipes (although I haven't tried any to see what comes from them) sparsely spread between a collection of C- sociology papers. There are a few interesting insights, but they're too few and far between. The section on chili must be purposefully put at the very end, because most sensible readers would stop right there.
Beth
Jul 08, 2010 Beth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this because Alton Brown recommended it, and I can see why, but it was a lot of information and little of it seemed applicable to me and my cooking style. Part 1 describes a rustic, New England style, heavy on the crustaceans. Part 2 is entirely New Orleans and, while I love a good jambalaya, doesn't do much for me in the everyday. Part 3 is the "serious pig" and really is serious about pig. I'm glad I have it for reference if I ever decide to roast a whole one.
Ann Marie
I'm going to have to come back to this book. Or not. I just couldn't get into it. Sometimes with me that's at timing issue and nothing to do with the quality of the book. We'll see.
Julia
This guy loves to eat. There is an entire chapter devoted to perfectly cooked rice.
Jon-paul Walton
I have not read this book.
This site sucks
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Brainy Boro
Brainy Boro rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Anya Joukova
Anya Joukova marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Artemis Kalliste
Artemis Kalliste rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Susan Altstatt
Susan Altstatt rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Andrew
Andrew is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
drublood Duro
drublood Duro marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Irene Yim
Irene Yim rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Jamie Johns
Jamie Johns rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Narumon
Narumon marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
  • Choice Cuts: A Savory Selection of Food Writing from Around the World and Throughout History
  • With Bold Knife and Fork
  • Beard on Food: The Best Recipes and Kitchen Wisdom from the Dean of American Cooking
  • Are You Really Going to Eat That?: Reflections of a Culinary Thrill Seeker
  • Best Food Writing 2007
  • Southern Belly: The Ultimate Food Lover's Guide to the South
  • The Tummy Trilogy: American Fried; Alice, Let's Eat; Third Helpings
  • MAD's Greatest Artists: The Completely MAD Don Martin
  • Cider
  • The Raw and the Cooked: Adventures of a Roving Gourmand
  • The Rituals of Dinner: The Origins, Evolution, Eccentricities and Meaning of Table Manners
  • The Breakfast Book
  • The Best Recipe
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • More Home Cooking: A Writer Returns to the Kitchen
  • Italian Food
  • The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs