Start by marking “Sugarplum Surprises” as Want to Read:
Sugarplum Surprises

Sugarplum Surprises

Lovely Jane Nichol-who spends her days disguised as a middle-aged seamstress-has crossed paths with a duke who shelters a secret as great as her own. But as Christmas approaches-and vicious rumors surface-they begin to wonder if they can have their cake and eat it, too...
Published November 1st 2001 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Sugarplum Surprises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugarplum Surprises

Christina ~ Brunette Reader

2,5 Stars

Mini-review, not much to say about this average Traditional Regency where Miss Jane Nichol, the heroine, in order to escape an arranged marriage to a sleazy old baron lives the life of a French modiste under false identity and happens to attract the attention of the Duke of Chandrose, who's enjoying the Christmas Season in Bath after having jilted his fiancée.

Smooth writing and linear plot made for a relaxing, quick and pleasant enough read, but the sparkle and humour the sub-genre us
Anne
Apr 01, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a good Christmas love story!
Okay, I agree that it is slightly ridiculous to be giving such a fluffy, Christmasy book a five star rating, but it really was a good one. I found it so sweet, fun, delightful and pleasant that I couldn't bring myself to rate it any lower.

Elisabeth Fairchild has a very unique writing style, one that feels almost poetic at times. I quite enjoyed it; it gave a nice feel to the story and felt refreshing after the other more contemporary-written Regency I'd been reading. Fairchild's prose went so w
Rane

There's something about Fairchild's poetic style of writing that always draws me in. She does it once again with 'Sugarplum Surprises' which held a few nice surprises with it's Christmas Cinderella theme. The two leads a duke and a dressmaker are running from past and present hurts. Slowly uncovering and healing each other scars and finding love around Christmas just made this book just so sweet.

When Jane Nichol ran away from home she found her niche as a disguise dressmaker - Madame Nicolette
M.A. Nichols
Ugh. The premise of the story is hard to swallow, but I went with it because this is meant to be a cheesy historical romance. I can take a bit of cheese (if the story is at least decently written), but this story requires you to suspend reality way too many times.

The characters were okay. Nothing particularly memorable, though I felt like the hero's mother was a bit inconsistent at times. The good guys are perfectly good, the bad guys are perfectly awful (even to the point of having open sores
Christopher
Dec 14, 2013 Christopher rated it it was ok
Sugarplum Surprises had quite a bit going for it. I liked that it was a loose adaptation of Cinderella - it contained enough of the traditional elements so that the reader recognized the story, but was an original and creative traditional storyline in it's own right. I really liked that the heroine was strong and always upbeat like the Cinderella character, but was well-rounded enough to seem like a real person. The hero was a bit stereotypical in his honorable duke role, but at least his charac ...more
Linda C
Jane Nichol is in disguise as Madame Nicolette, dressmaker, having run away from a planned forced marriage. Jane meets Edward, Duke of Chandrose, as herself at an Assembly where she tries to shame him into paying for his fiance's trousseau after he jilted her and the jilted bride's father refuses to pay the dressmaker. He refuses but when he comes to her shop he guesses that Jane and Nicolette are one person. Thus begins a loosely based retelling of Cinderella with a stepmother and 2 ...more
Linda
By night, she is her own person. By day, Jane Nichol disguises herself as middle-aged Madame Nicolette, the best seamstress in town. Could she be a runaway with secrets? Edward Bridges, the Duke of Chandrose, is determined to find out.

This story surprised me because it is a farce BUT the characters are fairly well-developed. Jane's responsibilities as a dressmaker take their toll. She has to remember her French accent while she is playing one part and English while she is in true form. Just gett
Jan 03, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
my mother has an affinity for regency romance. Sometimes they are nothing more than smutty bodice rippers. However I did enjoy this one as it was innocent and charming.
I liked the storyline and the character development.
I feel the ending was a little too "happily ever after" and "no one ever heard from the mean old stepmother again" for my taste.
I like the villains to have their justice meted out to them with an iron fist. I like the just desserts. This book didnt seem to have that.

But this was
Amy
Dec 17, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: used, 2011, trad-regency
I really enjoyed this book. The heroine rescues herself from a bad situation and manages to take control of her life. Despite some instalove, both H and h give some thought to their relationship and its consequences. A very nice holiday read.
Camy
Camy rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2013
Nilofer
Nilofer rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Lorann
Lorann rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2012
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Luteran
Luteran rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Nenya
Nenya rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2013
Karate1kid
Karate1kid rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2012
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Maggie
Dec 21, 2009 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked the book, didn't like the ending.
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Regency
BonnieL
BonnieL rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2009
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
May 16, 2014
Anneliese Bennion
Anneliese Bennion rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2007
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Fani
Fani rated it liked it
May 06, 2008
Angie Hammat
Angie Hammat rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Sabine
Sabine rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
BJ
BJ rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Play Book Tag: Sugarplum Surprises = Elisabeth Fairchild - 3 stars 4 8 May 31, 2016 10:29PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 05, 2015 10:12AM
Elisabeth Fairchild is half English and considers the British Isles her second home. With a degree in advertising from North Texas State University, Fairchild worked for ten years in advertising before turning to writing full-time.
More about Elisabeth Fairchild...