Start by marking “Captain Cupid Calls the Shots” as Want to Read:
Captain Cupid Calls the Shots

Captain Cupid Calls the Shots (Cupid and Valentine series #1)

Captain Alexander Shelbourne was known as Cupid to his friends for his uncanny marksmanship in battle. But upon meeting Miss Penny Foster, he soon knew how it felt to be struck by his namesake's arrow....
Published December 1st 2000 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Captain Cupid Calls the Shots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain Cupid Calls the Shots

QNPoohBear
Apr 03, 2015 QNPoohBear rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Captain Alexander Shelbourne aka "Cupid" returns to England with his friends weary of war and trying to battle the voices in his head. While his friend Val takes comfort in the bottle and his other friend Oscar in finishing, Cupid just wants to settle down into a comfortable life. When he arrives in the village with Val and Oscar, he is intrigued by the mysterious Miss Penny Foster, the one whom Val calls "tough-me-not." Val claims Penny let him touch her all too easily and she allowed him to ...more
Lord Rose
The heroine was far too much of a martyr for my tastes, and her reasons for her actions didn't even make sense. (view spoiler) ...more
Hopefulpuffin
Let me start off by saying how much I dislike the title of this book. It makes it sound like a comedy or farce and it is absolutely neither of those things. What it is is a hard book to write a review about. I actually read it because it was first in the series and I really wanted to read Valentine's story.

The plot is pretty straightforward. Veterans back from Waterloo with physical and psychological problems. Clear from the beginning why Cupid is called Cupid. Prior to the war, Valentine wanted
Cruth
Nov 20, 2012 Cruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet, clean Regency romance which takes unusual twists and turns. Not a book you want spoilers for - the changing trajectory is what makes it so heart-wrenching and re-readable.

Disappointing ending, but the fact I cried in the middle makes me want to give it 5-stars (on Amazon), 4 stars here.

Takes a gentle look at men returning from war, without the tragedy of the contemporary books with PTSD. Made me miss my Grandad.

There is a second in the series - Valentine's story - but it isn't available a
Cheryl
Aug 09, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Nicely written. Darker than what you would expect from the title. Interesting and intelligent main characters with pasts that have blighted their lives. Nice details of the countryside and village life. I read it in one go and will look for others by this author.
LemontreeLime
Very different take on the recency vehicle. Alcholism, illegtimate children, and jealous secrets abound. Interesting to read, would have been even better if the characters had been rounded out a tad bit more.
Anneliese Bennion
Anneliese Bennion rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2011
Marvi Reyes
Marvi Reyes rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2012
Theresa Depiano
Theresa Depiano rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2011
Dorothea H
Dorothea H rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Camille Elliot
Camille Elliot rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2012
Janet
Jul 30, 2010 Janet rated it it was ok
Shelves: angsty-goodness
Secrets about a child's parentage ... not usually my fave. Willing to pass along.
Meril
Meril rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2009
Patchworkpenguin
Patchworkpenguin rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Dy-an
Dy-an rated it it was ok
Jun 11, 2012
katayoun Masoodi
katayoun Masoodi rated it it was ok
Aug 21, 2008
Susannah Carleton
Susannah Carleton rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2011
Marina
Marina rated it it was ok
May 23, 2014
Sylvia
Sep 25, 2009 Sylvia rated it liked it
Regency
BookwormWithGoggles
BookwormWithGoggles rated it it was ok
Dec 07, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
KU2
KU2 rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2016
Catsalive
Catsalive rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Marion Frazer
Marion Frazer rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Sabine
Sabine rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
Nenya
Sep 12, 2014 Nenya rated it liked it
slow and tortuous...
Catie
Catie rated it really liked it
May 31, 2011
Cheryl Breza
Cheryl Breza rated it did not like it
Jan 14, 2016
Camy
Camy rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 23, 2016 05:01PM
Elisabeth Fairchild is half English and considers the British Isles her second home. With a degree in advertising from North Texas State University, Fairchild worked for ten years in advertising before turning to writing full-time.
More about Elisabeth Fairchild...

Cupid and Valentine series (2 books)
  • Valentine's Change of Heart